Engine troubles

All Models and Years
pgaddy

Engine troubles

Post by pgaddy »

So I have a 66 Monza convertible with a 110 hp engine 4 spd. Lately I have been experiencing when the engine gets warm a chugging like the engine is not getting gas and loses power when I step on the gas. I have to baby it and shift gears to keep the engine running. After a while if I stop at a light the car konks out on me and is a pain to get started with the occasional backfiring. It are no oil leaks the car a has a relatively new electric fuel pump, a new clutch and a new battery. I need some advice and possibly a recommendation of a mechanic in the Marina del Rey Ca area can reach me here or at pgaddy@yahoo.com
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Engine troubles

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! That is a beautiful convertible you have there!

I would begin by checking for vacuum leaks. If the car seems to run fairly well when cold (choke is ON) but runs progressively worse as the car warms up (automatic choke gradually opens as the engine warms up), the engine could have a vacuum leak and as a result it may be running a fuel/air mixture that is very lean (too much air in the mix of fuel to air). Backfiring can also be a symptom of a lean fuel/air mixture.

This diagram will show you where the vacuum hoses and connections are. Some of the hoses and connections shown will not be found on your car, since they apply to cars with automatic transmissions, cars with a vacuum gauge, etc. Carefully look for split or rotted hoses that might be loose or not fitting tightly. The choke mechanisms (vacuum break diaphragm) can also develop a crack in the plastic shell or an internal rupture in the rubber diaphragm. To check for this (if a physical source of a leak is not visible), try temporarily disconnecting the hose and plugging it to close the vacuum connection to the base of the carburetor. This can help you to check for a leaking/faulty vacuum break, if the plugged hose improves your engine operation.

Your newly installed electric fuel pump may also be malfunctioning and possibly starving the carburetors for fuel. The float bowls (fuel reserve) storage in each carburetor may have enough fuel in them initially, but if pump delivery volume is inadequate the float bowls could ultimately starve the engine for fuel as the engine consumes the small amount of gasoline stored in each carburetor float bowl.

Where did you install (mount) the electric fuel pump? Electric pumps do much better at pushing fuel long distances. They are usually poor at pulling fuel. Because of this characteristic of electric fuel pumps, the pump should be mounted near the fuel tank in the front of the car, so that fuel will essentially be a gravity feed to the pump. It is also a good idea to have a fuel filter installed between the tank outlet and the pump inlet, to prevent any dirt or foreign material from entering the pump mechanism. The integrity of the long steel fuel line between the fuel tank and the engine compartment should be verified, and any short rubber fuel hoses should be checked to eliminate the possibility of fuel leaks. Finally, an electric safety switch should control the power to the pump. These safety switches connect to your engine to sense the presence of oil pressure. They only apply electricity to the fuel pump when the engine is being cranked by the starter, or when the engine is running (oil pressure detected). The delivery pressure of your pump should be about 4-5 psi. The pump should be able to deliver at least one pint of fuel in 40 seconds or less.

Please check these things out and let us know what you find.

In addition to the assistance you will find on the Corvair Forum, joining a local club chapter of CORSA (Corvair Society of America) can put you in touch with a local family-friendly group of Corvair owners. These clubs have monthly meetings and members can offer technical assistance and advice, as well as references to local Corvair-knowledgeable mechanics, body shops in your area, parts suppliers, etc. There are several in Southern California, but the club listed below is centered in nearby Santa Monica and meets in Torrance (about 15 miles from you). These clubs also offer car shows, competition events, group scenic drives, technical training, etc.
South Coast CORSA (SCC)
:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/southcoast/

SCC mailing address:
South Coast Corsa Corvair Club
c/o Greg Vargas
2340 Virginia Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90404-5103

Email: vargascorvairmonza@hotmail.com

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”