Exhaust Options

All Models and Years
JamesCalvinIII

Exhaust Options

Post by JamesCalvinIII »

Hey guys,

I want to upgrade the stock exhaust on my 67 Corvair 500, which doesn't really work anyway

I always love the look of dual exhaust on classics but I want a specific kit since I have the bumper guards and want everything to look well spaced

I want the pipes to look like this but even (they don't look center)

does anyone know a kit that would give me similar positioning

Scott V

Re: Exhaust Options

Post by Scott V »

JamesCalvinIII wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 5:23 pm I want to upgrade the stock exhaust on my 67 Corvair 500, which doesn't really work anyway
what do you mean your stock exhaust doesnt really work? it doesnt sound good? it hangs too low?
JamesCalvinIII wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 5:23 pmI always love the look of dual exhaust on classics but I want a specific kit since I have the bumper guards and want everything to look well spaced. I want the pipes to look like the pic but even (they don't look center).
does anyone know a kit that would give me similar positioning.
no kit that i know that will get you that similar positioning.

your going to need a custom exhaust to have the pipes centered cuz the engine isnt centered in the body.

if you have a pg trans...........be careful about your exhaust system. too little back pressure & you might kill your low rpm power.

-Scott V.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... &page=MK-3

Look at the Clark's catalog and you should find they offer reproduction dual exhaust pipes not only for the 140, but for the other engines as well. The "U" pipes they sell are the same for either side which allows for an equal spacing from the engine.

If you choose the non welded version, it may be possible to twist the mufflers to help achieve the desired effect. :my02:

By purchasing the "Multi Kit", you will get all of the parts you should need. Keep in mind that changing over to dual exhaust from single, you will need the correct hanger for the driver side as well as the exhaust shield that goes between the muffler and valve cover.

If you do not wish to drop the powerpack enough to remove the tin to correctly install the driver side hanger bracket, the bracket can be modified (slotted) to allow it to slide behind the tin at the stud where it bolts up, otherwise you may end up :banghead: .
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

caraholic4life wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 12:51 pmLook at the Clark's catalog and you should find they offer reproduction dual exhaust pipes not only for the 140, but for the other engines as well. The "U" pipes they sell are the same for either side which allows for an equal spacing from the engine.
just so the op isnt confused..........the clarks u pipes will allow for an equal spacing from the engine but not equal spacing from the body. the op wanted the pipes to be equal spaced *centered* looking @ the back of the car.

you could use the clarks u pipes to do this but some mods would have to be done to the pipes or use different mufflers.

-Scott V.
KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

I built my own dual exhaust last weekend from 2 singles. Mine is an EM, the engine is not centered on the CL of the car, so the exhaust is a bit off set, my fab skills are limited, I suppose with better skills you could have the exhausts come out as symmetrical as you want at any angle you want.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app

KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

If you look closely the radius of the U bend on the left is smaller than the right, I needed to do this so the muffler would not rub on the left tire. It could be shortened even more for a more symmetrical finished look. As a side note, my little 80 HP, now runs smoother, and feels like it has just a bit more power, the sound is great too. I highly suggest a cross over pipe when building a dual exhaust, it's more work, but worth the effort.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is some past material I had posted on this exhausting subject. More "food for thought" with regard to Corvair exhaust systems...
:think: If you want tubular headers and mufflers for use in a car and on the street, Clark's Corvair Parts sells them. They require cutting the lower engine shrouds or removal of the lower sheet metal, but will fit within the confines of the Corvair body.

Good options for the street are also covered below. A review with good comments about all three possibilities can be found at the bottom.

:omgosh: :assault: :assault: Tubular Headers
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=38

:eek: :assault: :assault: Trombone-Style Exhaust Extractors
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=37

:tongue: :assault: :assault: Standard Dual Exhaust
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=35

For a fair assessment and evaluation of the different exhaust system options for use in a Corvair, from a stock dual configuration to the trombone-style mufflers to full tubular headers, see the comments below...
terribleted wrote:Posts: 842

I have personally used the Ultimate exhaust, both type of exhaust extractors, and stock dual, and single systems.

The Ultimate exhaust header system is loud to me even with the baffles installed. The drone at certain speeds can be annoying and can be unpleasant for extended operation. Cutting or removing the lower shrouds can cause the windshield defroster to fog the windshield due to the extra moisture let in to the manifold area (not a problem until you need the windshield defogged on a warm rainy day). For best longevity I recommend ceramic coating the system prior to installation. I would not use these again myself except on a race car. (very slight performance difference noted from stock dual exhaust with a basically stock motor).

The Exhaust Extractor systems and pretty nice all in all. The large tip one is loud. I got tired of this after a while and ultimately replaced it with the straight small tip version. I really like the note of these and they are not so loud as to be annoying. This system is not without its issues however. The pipes must be bracketed to the engine or engine sheet metal near the front ahead of the first muffler as well as at the rear on both sides or drooping will likely occur. The connection at the manifold even though it seems very strong will allow the system to rotate and droop without help. Another issue is that the welded bracket that holds the extractor pipes parallel to each other in roughly the center bottom of each extractor is prone to coming loose after a period of time. I have re-welded a number of both small tip and large tip systems for this issue. The final issue is a small one. On the small systems I have installed the pipes do not stick out from under the rear grille the same amount on both sides, one side is shorter. (it is somewhat normal that they may not be spaced right to left evenly when viewed from the rear). These also should be ceramic coated for durability. No noted performance gain compared to stock duals but sounds and looks cooler.

The replacement stock type systems from Clark's are excellent. When installed with new brackets and hardware these are the most durable exhausts I have used on a Vair. No trouble or maintenance for 30,000 miles or more over 4+ years, something I can not say about the above systems based on my use of them. The complete dual system they sell with the larger tips is my choice in these. Ceramic coating not really needed for good durability but it will keep them looking good and stave off rust longer. I think there is a slight performance gain going to a dual exhaust system from a single.

Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up. See my work or contact me at: https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 249,513497
Dual Exhaust with Crossover Pipe.jpg
I remembered this from a December 2012 thread...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4848&p=33169&hilit=exhaust#p33169
MonzaDave (Dave Keillor) wrote:Image

Brad Bodie wrote: :goodpost: :ty:

Thank you for the update. Looks like beautiful work! Please keep us posted on your progress!

I had never seen a crossover balance tube exhaust setup like that before. Is that a commercial product or your own design?
MonzaDave (Dave Keillor) wrote:The exhaust is a "Big Dual" from Matt Nall that's no longer in production. It's 2-1/2" and the mufflers are Hedman turbos.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”