cost to repair corvair plug hole

All Models and Years
dick2256

cost to repair corvair plug hole

Post by dick2256 »

what it the average cost for a machine shop to repair a spark plug hole
I was threading a hole for a time-set insert and it didn't do good at all
I had good luck with two of them but the 3rd one didn't cut the thread right and kept cross threading and
I now have a hole 21/32" which a .660 insert would work but I believe it would be a lot cheaper to get the hole plugged
and then rethreaded if I can find a shop that can do it
gnrand

Re: cost to repair corvair plug hole

Post by gnrand »

I don't know the cost but I have a guy in Needles. Az. that could fix your head. He is an unbelievable welder that specializes in head work. Let me know if that might be an option for you and I will give you his number. He has always been very reasonable.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Forget about using the usual "machine shop". You'll need someone who knows how to weld up aluminum, preferable a person who does heads and blocks. Clearance to the gasket area is critical.

You didn't say where you are so it's impossible for folks to recommend someone near you.

Most qualified personnel are in the bigger cities. There's a fellow in L.A., Ca. who specializes in aluminum block and head work which a few Corvair folks have used.
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

from western Iowa
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Time Sert makes a "BIG SERT" spark plug insert that will work in a .660 hole. You can try to find a machine shop that has this tool, it will be cheaper than having it welded and rethreaded.

OR

You can rent the BIG Sert tool from aircooled.net Details are at https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Big-Sert- ... -5141s.htm Using the tool is not difficult if you can follow directions ::-): ::-): ::-):

Marty Scarr
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

we have a welding shop here in town our town has a population of around 800
and the welder is around 37 years old but has worked with his dad welding all through high school
his dad died and he does a lot of aluminum welding so I took the head to him and ask him if he could
weld the hole solid so I could drill it and tap it.
He said he would charge 50 bucks which I thought was real cheap if he does a good job
I will post the results in a couple days
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

welding is kind of the ez part of the job.

after welding you need to drill the hole for the spark plug.
you need to machine the weld flat for the spark plug.
you need to tap the hole for the spark plug threads.

think about how your going to do these things. w/o the right tools & a mill or a good drill press.........& knowing how to do the work........your going to need to take it to a good machine shop.

renting the bigsert tool that martyscarr talked about is the way to go.

clarks also rents the tool. http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C8614

-Scott V.
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

I have thought about those things and all of the above things you are talking about I have done before
and I do have a very good drill press
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

cool......you have a very good drill press to get the job done.

if you have the tools........18mm tap / drill for 18mm tap / end mill or something to machine the weld area flat / way to tilt the head to get the right angle to the spark plug / a way to figure out where the center of the spark plug hole needs to be in the weld area........id say go for it.

-Scott V.
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

I'm sure Scott meant to say 14mm not 18mm ::-):
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

thx martyscarr. yup 14mm. 18mm...........going to need more welding. lol

-Scott V.
KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

I had to do an emergency repair on a plug hole by using an 18mm thread chaser (not a tap) and using a 18mm plug. 5 months later, it's still there, holding well.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

KiltedPhoenix wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 am I had to do an emergency repair on a plug hole by using an 18mm thread chaser (not a tap) and using a 18mm plug. 5 months later, it's still there, holding well.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app
A buddy of mine has a car that has had an oversized plug like this installed for nearly 10 years. The car is driven daily to and from work. The heads have been on the current engine and a previous engine that broke a ring. The only issue is finding the correct larger plug when time to replace the plugs.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

hey ted the thread repair is done down and the guy welded the hole shut and I drilled it out and rethreaded so that is done
been installing rings today and the 3 piston down in the oiler groove was to tight and I filed it until it finally went on tight but
wondering if I should file it some more it was still very tight that was the same piston that had the broken compression ring.
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

wasn't any sign that looked like it was to hot
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

dick2256 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 3:44 pm hey ted the thread repair is done down and the guy welded the hole shut and I drilled it out and rethreaded so that is done
been installing rings today and the 3 piston down in the oiler groove was to tight and I filed it until it finally went on tight but
wondering if I should file it some more it was still very tight that was the same piston that had the broken compression ring.
Something is wrong. Should not be tight in the groove. Usually this come from the piston being dented from the side of the grooves or varnish or something similar in the grooves. You need to have enough clearance to be able to grab the ring or rings (oil ring set) (once in place on the piston) and rotate them easily around the piston in the groove. I would make sure they were not tight in the groove. look closely at the tight spot. If the ring or rings are tight all the way around a piston then either the piston is faulty (wrong part , miss-manufactured or crushed down from the top) and needs to be replaced. If the ring/rings are tight in only 1 spot then damage to the piston is the likely cause and filing should get it in a pinch. You can check the groove by putting the compression rings into the groove from the outside and then walking it around the outside of the piston till you find the binding spot.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”