brake drums hitting

All Models and Years
eaglefm

brake drums hitting

Post by eaglefm »

replaced wheel cylinders, shoes ,every spring and part, new wheel bearings in front mistake thew away old drums,they were from a 67 camaro .I have 1965 monza conv,when i got the new drums they hit the back plate and wheel will not turn /?are the wheel bearings in to far or do I have to find different drums???
terribleted

Re: brake drums hitting

Post by terribleted »

Sounds like the drums are wrong. Why did you buy drums for a 67 Camaro instead of a 65 Corvair? Makes no sense to me.
There is no way to over install the wheel bearings. The races must be fully installed to their stops or the bearings will loosen in use as the races move toward their seats. Proper drums for your Corvair are available thru Corvair vendors. I have been able to source late model Corvair drums locally on occaision.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
eaglefm

Post by eaglefm »

the drums i took off the car were the camaro and ordered corvair ones they did not work . I guess I will get them from clarks and see what happens thanks
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I saw that the old ones were supposedly Camaro, so, since you did not say otherwise I assumed you tried to replace them with the same thing. I would bet that the ones off the car were not Camaro, but, then again as screwy as parts stores are these days for parts for classics you never know. Perhaps we should try ordering some Rambler stuff maybe that would fit:)

I have had very mixed results getting late model brake drums from local parts store sources. Supposed to get fronts for a Corvair and they were rears. Supposed to get rears and they were who knows what they fit. Again supposed to get fronts another time and they were again who knows what. I have also gotten perfectly usable drums within the last 6 years for both ends from a local parts store, but, had to send one set for one end back the first time they arrived at the store and order the second option they showed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

The '65 Chevelle REARS will fit the '65 Corvair FRONT. I bought them from O'Reillys and they work great.

See viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12705

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
MtnVairMike

brake drums hitting

Post by MtnVairMike »

Just did the Oreillys route on my 66. Very happy with their cylinder rebuilt kits and shoes. Seem like they stop very well with reasonable pedal effort. If you need the parts they looked up correct on their website.

Adjusted according to shop manual. Slightly tight fit and back off a turn and a little more. Drove it made a few hard stops and the adjusters did the rest.
Scary good stops from 55 with no lockup

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green, #3753
eaglefm

Post by eaglefm »

i did order from Oreillys the first time and did not fit so got number of drum and it was the camaro and they did not fit ,i will try the 65 chevelle rear next time i get home i dive over the road next time is july,but thanks guys I am almost done with my wife s to do list and will have more time to play with the vair

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”