Points and Condenser

All Models and Years
Krfjkm

Re: Points and Condenser

Post by Krfjkm »

Those are good points guys-- I am planning to enter it in the Concours in Helen as it is so original-- I do want to enjoy it as a driver as well-- so I plan to make some changes that will make it more drivable, but make those changes reversable if I ever want to show it again---

What would be your first change to make the car more reliable?
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_4452.jpeg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Body rot and rust damage are the biggest enemy to the Late Model (1965 and later) Corvair. Unibody construction, thinner sheet metal, etc. all contribute to the irreparable damage rust can do. The body sections surrounding the doors are particularly susceptible to being weakened on a convertible. The lack of a rigid roof section or a separate full frame forced GM to find ways to try to reinforce the door perimeter sections on the convertible. If those hidden inner areas begin to rust, or are exposed to road salt, the life span of the Corvair can be shortened considerably. Keep it clean and garaged and treat it well!

My parents bought our first LM Corvair (also a 1965 Corsa convertible with 140 hp engine) new in San Jose, CA in 1965. We drove it for decades all over the USA and in Germany while I served for 24 years in the USAF. It was our primary family transportation and very reliable, even on several coast to coast mid-summer drives, high speed (Autobahn) drives the north/south length of Germany from Bremerhaven to Kaiserslautern and back, and several runs from Southern California to high altitude Lake Tahoe, fully loaded with a family of four and our luggage. The only breakdown in all those years was a failed right rear wheel bearing in Germany. Well-maintained, they hold up well!

1965 photo of my father and me with the new family Corvair Corsa at Edwards AFB, California...

The same 1965 Corvair convertible sporting a new paint job and convertible top at my USAF assignment at Hanscom AFB, MA in 1980 (just before we shipped the car to Ramstein AB, Germany for our next assignment)...

But I would recommend a distributor upgrade to improve ignition system reliability. The points and condenser are a mid-twentieth century technology that is far from ideal, and the breakerless electronic ignition is definitely a better way to go! Also, flush and change the brake fluid every few years, and change the transaxle gear lube periodically too. DO NOT USE GL-5 GEAR LUBE! SAE 90 GL-4 ONLY!

I also recommend an upgrade to 14" or 15" wheels and tires. The wonderful suspension design will benefit greatly from the range of performance tires that are only available to you if you move away from 13" (obsolete) tires for your regular street driving. Braking will improve too. Save the 13" rims, tires and wheel covers for the car shows. This is another bolt-on modification that is completely reversible.

Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

YOUR CORVAIR IS GORGEOUS!!! Be sure to enter it in the Corvair Forum Corvair of the Month competition. I wouldn't be surprised if it won Corvair of the Year too! Be sure to post lots of detail photos and other beauty shots, and write a good narrative to tell its history and how you found it. If we can't own it ourselves, we can at least enjoy reading about it, if you are willing to share your story!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Krfjkm wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 pm Those are good points guys-- I am planning to enter it in the Concours in Helen as it is so original-- I do want to enjoy it as a driver as well-- so I plan to make some changes that will make it more drivable, but make those changes reversable if I ever want to show it again---

What would be your first change to make the car more reliable?
Electronic ignition and electric fuel pump are the only 2 changes that come to my mind as being of particular value for improving reliability of the Corvair. An electronic ignition makes a noticeable difference in starting and general operation and eliminates 3-5,000mile point adjustments to stay it top tune. Electric fuel pumps in my mind are more reliable than the stock pumps, but, then again that opinion is based on the varying quality over the years of replacement stock pumps many of which have been quite poor. There is nothing unreliable about a quality stock fuel pump (if only you were sure of the quality).

Electronic ignition would not hurt your car in concours at Helen as we do not judge for originality. We have not had a factory stock class considering originality as a judging criteria for many many years. At the Helen concours judging is based on cleanliness, condition and the overall appearance of the vehicle. I would bet that pretty much the only place that departures from originality would hurt you in show would be at CORSA nationals or CORSA sanctioned regional concours (or perhaps high level AACA or similar events). Departures from originality in CORSA sanctioned judging would only move you from factory stock or factory stock restored classes to a less original class such as street stock or modified.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”