Points and Condenser

All Models and Years
Krfjkm

Points and Condenser

Post by Krfjkm »

Hi Guys--

I am getting ready to take my corvair on its first longer journey to Springfest in Helen GA--- I have heard you should have a spare points and condenser with you--- can I pick that up at an auto parts store? If so, what should I ask for?

I did a search and came up empty--

Thanks!

1965 Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Re: Points and Condenser

Post by terribleted »

You very well may be able to purchase these from a local parts store. Here is a link from Advance auto parts website after searching for "ignition points" and added vehicle data. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/Pa ... rom=header By me Napa stores are often a good source for items like this.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

You are driving a turbocharged 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible from Charlotte, NC — about 500 miles round trip — correct?

There is a long uphill grade as you approach Asheville and hilly terrain and a final winding mountain road with a lot of turns as you approach Helen, GA.

PREMIUM FUEL ONLY! Listen for signs of detonation on long, uphill grades and don't lug the engine or keep it on turbo boost for long periods as you climb hills — especially on hot days. I melted a hole in a piston on my turbo Corsa back in 1970 by not paying attention on similar highways. The pressure retard unit on the distributor (not all that reliable) and Premium fuel are your only built-in defenses against detonation under turbo boost, so if you hear the death rattle sounds of detonation, back off!
:assault: :burnout: :explosion: :rambo: :nono:

Check your tires, brakes, and engine tune (dwell and timing) before you leave. If the points are OK there is no reason to expect them to fail in a 500 mile trip. They are standard Chevy/GM 6-cylinder points and condenser and should be commonly available at auto parts suppliers, if needed. A spare fan belt and appropriate tools. and a Corvair shop manual in the trunk are always a good idea.

You might consider a distributor upgrade to a Crane Cams (optical trigger) or Pertronix (magnetic pulse trigger) breakerless ignition at some time. Both are listed in the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=74
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Krfjkm

Post by Krfjkm »

Thank you both for the information!

Brad-- my Corsa is not a turbo-- does the premium fuel rule still apply? I have been using ethanol free since I got the car but don't mind switching over to premium-- but thought ethanol free was the way to go.

Also, is there one of those new ignitions you recommend over the other?

Will you guys be at Springfest?
Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

Yes on the premium. Highest octane ethanol free is the way to go. 140's have higher compression than a turbo not under boost, so listen close for pinging. don't lug it too much on the hills and you should do fine. And if you can't find that fuel along the way and have to use ethanol gas, be sure to run all of it out of the secondaries when you get home.

I'm heading to Helen also, going to be a fun trip! Won't be bringing the Spyder with me, last minute head trouble. But hey, won't be the first time I drove someone else's car.
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
Krfjkm

Post by Krfjkm »

Ted-- I see you have a shop in GA-- if I break down will try to get it Snellville!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Krfjkm wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:43 pm Ted-- I see you have a shop in GA-- if I break down will try to get it Snellville!
I am a little over an hour South of Helen....that would be a bit out of your way...besides I will be in Helen myself!!

I am partial to the Crane electronic ignition. I have had better luck with their unit than I have had with a couple versions of Pertronix I have tried. Another option I have not tried myself but have heard good things about is Seth Emerson's electronic replacement distributor.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Krfjkm wrote:Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:44 pm

...Brad-- my Corsa is not a turbo-- does the premium fuel rule still apply?
...W 2LS 3C 4PUO 5W-
GROUP 1
W = RPO A02 — Tinted Windshield only

GROUP 2
L = RPO M20 — 4 Speed Manual Transmission
S = RPO U73 — Rear antenna

GROUP 3
C = RPO B70 — Padded Dash

GROUP 4
P = RPO Z01 — COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE GROUP (2 Speed Wipers, Washers, Day/Night Inside Mirror)
U = RPO P19 — Spare Wheel Lock
O = RPO L87 — Turbocharged Engine

GROUP 5
W = RPO A49 — Custom Deluxe Front Seat Belts (Chrome Buckles, with Retractors)...
Sorry for the confusion in the details about your car. I had looked back at your eariler posts and saw that your body tag described a turbocharged 1965 Corsa. If the original turbocharged engine is no longer in your car, do you have a 140 hp, a 110 hp, or :dontknow:? Most Corvair engines have a 9.0:1 compression ratio, and run better on Premium fuel. I have found that under light loads in cool temperatures those engines will usually run fine on Regular around town, but on long trips in warmer weather, and especially when driving on hilly terrain Premium is the way to go.

Only the low hp engines and turbocharged engines have the lower 8.0:1 compression ratio heads. Turbocharged engines ALWAYS demand Premium fuel, but non-turbo low hp Corvair engines with an 8:1 compression ratio usually run fine on Regular.

If you plan on an ignition system upgrade, I believe that Seth Emerson's new Stinger distributor is the way to go on non-turbo engines. It provides you with a brand new tune-able high performance ignition system with a magnetic pulse breakerless distributor at a cost-effective price (when compared to overhauling and rebuilding a 50+ year-old Delco distributor and upgrading it with a Crane Cams XR700 or a Pertronix Ignitor II system). The Crane Cams optical trigger unit is my second choice, with the Pertronix models coming in third.

:link: https://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=74
Brad Bodie
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Yes, carry points and a condenser. Just ask for parts for your car, their computer will have the listing. The same points were on almost all 62-73 6-cylinder GM and some independent brands (think AMC) too. I'd also carry a fuel pump and a 3V560 fan belt. (3V560 is the industry number for the correct, industrial fan belt, the one shown in the auto parts store computer is incorrect). Have a great trip! Murphy's law (corollary) states that anything you prepare for won't happen so with those parts along you ensure that those items won't give you any problem ;-)
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Ignition points are fine, but they are a perishable item. Some good suggestions here on electronic alternatives. The number ONE consideration is how good your stock distributor is, or even if it is the correct one after all these years. If you have the proper distributor (number on side) then it can usually be rebuilt with a new bushing. DO NOT buy a rebuilt distributor from an auto parts store. Observations from others show they are often made up of mismatched parts. If, or when, your distributor is in good mechanical shape then either the Petronix or CRANE are good units. If your distributor needs replacing due to severe damage or is an incorrect unit, then the Seth Emerson distributor is an option.

I'm an electrical guy and agree the Petronix has more problems, but most of the time I find it's due to incorrect installations and improper coils. When set up correctly the Petronix is reliable. Since the Petronix comes with it's own mounting plate to replace the stock points plate a lot of folks carry a points plate as a back up spare. The CRANE instructions are well done and if properly installed it has a good reputation.

Carrying a spare fan belt is good, but you'll need tools to change it. Some make up special tools to make swapping a fan belt fast and easy. The alternator can be hard to find at a parts store (due to the special front bracket and fan) so I carry a good spare on a long trip. I gave up on the mechanical fuel pump and carry a spare electric unit.

Do use the highest octane rating fuel - DON'T worry about ethanol. Ethanol free fuels are scarce now. I been burning ethanol blended fuels for years in my old cars - no problem if you use modern fuel hose (GATES Barricade). Oh! that's one of the things that can ruin a trip - old fuel hoses.

The final thing needed for an enjoyable road trip - TOW insurance. I have it with AAA and Hagerty. Unlike a modern car you can't easily find a Corvair shop on the road. Knowing you can get the car home with one phone call is a nice feeling. Good luck and have a nice trip.
toytron

Post by toytron »

And don't forget you can always give Brad a ring. I hear he is always looking to get his hands dirty. Lol

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Krfjkm

Post by Krfjkm »

Great advice guys thank you so much--

Brad-- you had decoded a tag for me one time that was for a car I was thinking about buying-- the deal didn't work out-- but you are correct that one was a turbo Corsa.

My car is a 1965 Corsa-- it spent the past ~15 yrs in a car museum in Dayton OH after a tank dip and a complete restoration--- I think she is absolutely beautiful!

I think I will check out Seth's product to see if it will result in a reliable solution- and will start using the Premium fuel--- thanks for the advice!
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_4542.jpeg
IMG_0835.JPG
fullsizeoutput_4407.jpeg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Krfjkm wrote:Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm
...Brad-- you had decoded a tag for me one time that was for a car I was thinking about buying-- the deal didn't work out-- but you are correct that one was a turbo Corsa.

My car is a 1965 Corsa-- it spent the past ~15 yrs in a car museum in Dayton OH after a tank dip and a complete restoration--- I think she is absolutely beautiful!
:doh: :think: This confusion factor that occurred in this thread gives me an opportunity to highlight up common problem that occurs here on the Corvair Forum. The problem is a lack of clear communications on an Internet forum that demands just that! Questions are often posted where the questioner forgets to define some of the basics that would be needed by others to effectively answer the question. Until now you had never posted any photographs of your car or any details about its configuration. I am not trying to single you out, but instead I'm trying to use this example to point out the problem to others who may read this post. The car owner knows a great deal about his or her car and the circumstances surrounding the car. But we only know whatever information you provide to us. Without a complete description we are blind and may often provide inaccurate or inappropriate advice that may be based on incorrect assumptions. We don't know the technical skills or abilities of the owner, or even the location of the owner and the car! Until now I did not know which car you had purchased or what engine it was fitted with. The only information I had was obtain by backtracking through your previous posts and assuming that the body tag you have provided in March was for your car. As you can see by the confusion factor here some of the answers provided were not correct because you had never told us which engine your car was fitted with. Different Corvair model years have different issues and the owners location can often impact the answers that may be offered. Photographs and complete descriptions can be a tremendous help when members of the Corvair forum are trying to provide quality answers to the questions that are posted.

Just the two photographs below that you posted contain an enormous amount of information. And I guarantee that your brief story about this car has generated a tremendous amount of jealousy in the audience! I'm sure that many will be attending the Corvair show in Helen Georgia will be anxiously looking for your car just so they can see it! I'm not sure yet whether I will be able to attend, but I can tell you that your car has given me a great deal of added incentive. Many of us are asking ourselves why we can't be as lucky as you were in finding such a beautiful example of a 1965 Corvair Corsa. Solid, rust free convertibles are becoming very rare. I am looking forward to hearing more about this car and seeing more pictures posted. Perhaps you could post a series of good pictures and an expanded narrative about the car and how you found it as an entry in the Corvair of the Month competition here on the Corvair Forum. I for one would be anxious to hear the complete story and to see those pictures!
1965 Corvair Corsa 140 hp 4x1 Engine.jpg
Body Tag - 1965 Corsa.jpg
Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...
BODY TAG INFO:

06C
Body Build Date: 06 = June, C = Third Week
The first two digits are numbers 01 through 12, indicating the month of manufacture. The letter is A-E, indicating the week of the month. If the letter is a "C" it indicates the third week of the month.

Interior paint code: "S" = White/Black

STyle 65-10767 WRN 6747 BODY
Style: 65 = 1965 10767: 1 = Chevrolet, 07 = Corsa, 67 = 2-Door Convertible,
WRN = Willow Run, Michigan, Production Sequence No: 6747

1965 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa 2-Door Convertible - 4 Passenger, Total Production: 8,353

TRim: 798- = WHITE (Carpet and Instrument Panel are BLACK)
This 3 digit codes represents the interior color and seat type. "798" applies to 10500 MONZA and 10700 CORSA, which were fitted with Bucket Seats.

Paint: N-1 = MAROON "Madeira Maroon Poly." Top color code: 1 = WHITE
Lucite No. 4624LH, Rinshed-Mason No. A1711M, Ditzler No. DDL 50700

EXAMPLE

ACTUAL CAR

ACC = Accessory line
When decoding ACC line on the Fisher body tags, be aware that body tags do not include any options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher was only concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body. A good example is that you won’t find Telescopic column listed on the body tag. Although this is a major option, it did not require any special consideration during body assembly.

E 2L 3C 4PU 5W-

GROUP 1
E = RPO A01 — Tinted Glass (Soft Ray glass in all windows)

GROUP 2
L = RPO M20 — 4 Speed Manual Transmission

GROUP 3
C = RPO B70 — Padded Dash

GROUP 4
P = RPO Z01 — COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE GROUP (2 Speed Wipers, Washers, Day/Night Inside Mirror)
U = RPO P19 — Spare Wheel Lock

GROUP 5
W = RPO A49 — Custom Deluxe Front Seat Belts (Chrome Buckles, with Retractors)

This guide will show you how to decode the VIN tag...

I have attached a copy of the 1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs for your model year Corvair.

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

This or That.jpg
:think: FYI: Stock Distributor Overhaul (Parts Estimate). Total cost to overhaul an aging stock distributor depends on the condition of the individual parts. Note that Clark's Corvair Parts charges approximately $200 for a rebuilt distributor. The cost of a Crane Cams or Pertronix electronic ignition can add up to $123.95 to the cost of a stock distributor overhaul. With a base price of approximately $200 (with a few options regarding the cap design, plug wires, etc.) you can see why a brand-new Stinger distributor (includes vacuum advance and electronic ignition) is very competitive with the total cost of a rebuilt Delco distributor plus an electronic ignition system upgrade.

Cap:
$10.05 (C57: 62-69 DISTRIBUTOR CAP-ALUMINUM CONTACTS)
$14.60 (C985: 62-69 GM DISTRIBUTOR CAP-ALUMINUM CONTACTS)
$21.80 (C8237: HIGH PERFORMANCE DISTRIBUTOR CAP-62-69 WITH BRASS CONTACTS * CAP IS USUALLY GRAY)
Rotor:
$8.25 (C983: 62-69 GM ROTOR
$54.10 (subtract $20 core charge refund) (C7825: HIGH PERFORMANCE POINT PLATE-62-69** ** THIS IS NOW A REBUILT UNIT **) May not be needed.

$123.95 CRANE CAMS XR700 LED ELECTRONIC IGNITION (C2851: ELECTRONIC IGNITION-62-69 ONLY*MUST HAVE CORVAIR ENGINE HARNESS OR COIL WITH RESISTOR
$90.25 (C6790: PERTRONIX IGNITOR I — MAGNETIC IGNITOR-ELECTRONIC IGNITION FITS ONLY 62-69 DISTRIBUTORS)
$123.35 (C11400: PERTRONIX IGNITOR II — FLAME THROWER II COILS MAY BE USED-C11401,C11402,C11403 62-69 DIST)
$35.65 (C9412: VACUUM ADVANCE 62-69 (ALL EXC TURBO)
$3.80 (C9522: DIST. BUSHING-OILITE-EXACT FIT AMERICAN MADE
$37.80 - $41.65 (C5624A: REPRO VACUUM ADVANCE #217 62-69 (EXC 140 & TURBO) or (CX6718 (NOS): VACUUM ADVANCE 64-69 (EXC 140 & TURBO) (#217)
Part number C9049: HIGH PERF PG & STD COMPLETE REBUILT DIST *102 & 110 HP *1962-69
NOTICE: Price includes core value: $55.00. You will be issued a refund of $55.00 when you return the used part.

Weight: 5 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 78
Price: $ 248.45

:link: https://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/
Order Blank – Electronic Distributor for the Corvair engine:
If equipped with 4 Rochester Carbs, what year linkage is installed? Circle One: 1965 1966-69
Type of Cap desired Circle one: OEM style (Well-type) HEI style (Pin-type)
Color of HEI Cap desired: Red Black Blue
Matching Ignition wire set required?
Color of Set required: Red Black Green Yellow Orange Blue Purple Teal Gray
New 12 Volt Coil Needed? Includes mounting bracket (also fits GM Bracket) Red Black Blue
Power lead for 12 Volt supply to Coil?
Optimized Harness feed from Distributor to Coil?
Distributor w/ HEI cap $ 200 _____
OEM Style cap instead +$ 18 _____
New 12 Volt Coil + 35 _____
Wire Set (If ordered with Dist) +$ 35 _____
12 Volt Power Lead +$ 8 _____
Optimized Harness +$ 8 _____
Shipping (US Priority Mail in US)+$ 20 _____
Total $ __________
Performance Corvairs
3462 Kirkwood Dr
San Jose, CA 95117-1549 Phone (408) 247-2237
Brad Bodie
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Krfjkm - That is a fine looking Corvair. While I have no issue with modifying a Corvair that starts out as a rough car, one like yours that is so original looking should not be visually altered if possible in my humble opinion. The Seth Emerson distributor is larger and may require a minor indentation in the top shroud to fit. In your car I would use a simple, and out of sight, Petronix Ignitor I module. It works with the stock ballast and coil with no issues. In fact I rarely use the recommended Petronix Flamethrower coil. I prefer a stock coil (or equivalent) and have no problems.

One issue I run into, oddly enough, is folks install the Petronix module and do NOT reset the timing, which is required.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

This is a very good point. Any significant, irreversible changes should be avoided on your rare Corsa example. However, Seth Emerson indicates that the Stinger distributor does not require any modifications to the engine or sheet metal. It is a strictly bolt-on modification that would be a good idea if you plan on driving your Corvair regularly, as it should provide very reliable performance over the original distributor. (You could even box the original, low mileage distributor and plug wires and keep it in the trunk as a spare, should the electronic distributor ever fail, or to return your car to original condition for show purposes).
Brad Bodie

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”