Engine Compartment Air Duct install

All Models and Years
jmikulec

Engine Compartment Air Duct install

Post by jmikulec »

I recently got a new duct hose for the heater on my 65 Monza coupe. The old one just fell apart when I messed with it in the engine compartment. I cannot however get those screws loose on the clamp that hold the duct to the heater. Is there a trick to getting that out and installing a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Re: Engine Compartment Air Duct install

Post by terribleted »

Screws? What hose are you trying to replace exactly. All the hoses in a 65 heater system that I am remembering are installed with big hose clamps not screws. If you are talking about the single screw or bolt that tightens the hose clamp...they can be a pain in the rear to reach depending on who pointed them what way last time.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I had to chisel the ones off on my 64. They were a pain!!!!! :banghead:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

I'm talking about the hose clamps someone put em on so I can't get to them

funvairs

Post by funvairs »

In addition to the screwdriver slot many hose clamp screws are also hex drive. You might be able to use a socket, extension and universal to loosen it
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

jmikulec wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 pm I'm talking about the hose clamps someone put em on so I can't get to them

Yeah those hoses at the heater may have been installed with the drivetrain out. In fact sometimes I think it is easier to drop the whole drivetrain to replace the hoses!! When I rebuilt my cars I installed new duct hoses with the drivetrains out and made sure the hose clamps were aligned so I could get to them after the powertrain was back in.

There are three hoses - the one to the upper engine shroud - "Fresh Air Hose" is critical because if it leaks air the engine looses cooling air. It is very difficult to replace with the powertrain in the car. Many just disconnect it and put a put a cover on the top engine shroud. The other two hoses are the heater hoses off the lower engine shrouds - be careful with these as they can rub up against the drive shaft or starter (and start a fire). Often the support loops are missing. In fact I've seen the support loops mounted in different places on various cars so it seems the factory guys were a little careless.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Cutting the clamps may indeed be the easiest way to remove them if they are in the worst possible positions. I would use a cut off wheel on a die grinder or dremel tool for this type removal.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”