E15 fuel

All Models and Years
squidlong

E15 fuel

Post by squidlong »

Hello Corvair Fans!

I recently heard on the news that our state legislature in Indiana is looking very hard at mandating E15 fuel in the very near future. While I have my personal opinions on this, the Corvair forum in not the place for cussing and hollering so I will keep it sane. Can anyone out there tell me what modifications can be made to a '64 turbo to accomodate this? The E10 that we are currently forced to buy seems to have caused the need for more frequent carb rebuilds and replacement of rubber hoses. I can only imagine what the E15 will do? I fuel injected my '61 Biscayne and put a "modern" LS motor in my '64 Impala but I worry about my true love...the Spyder. Help! :chevy:
"Caddy" Mike :chevy:
Marion, IN
'66 Monza Coupe 140
'64 Corvair "700" Coupe (owner conversion)
'57 Cadillac Coupe
'64 Cadillac Coupe "500 cid"
'61 Chevy Biscayne "327"
Wagon Master

Re: E15 fuel

Post by Wagon Master »

Sta-Bil fuel treatment has several products that are supposed to deal with the damage that ethanol fuels cause. It's more expensive but I have an app on my phone that locates retailers that sell E-0 fuel. Usually marinas or farmer co-op's. Which seems like playing both sides by the people buying the corn selling ethanol free gas. The app is called PureGas.
squidlong

Post by squidlong »

I will check this out, thanks so much! We have a small airport here in Marion, IN that says they will sell me aviation fuel. I am sure the Spyder would LOVE it but my wallet will not. Seems like it goes about $5 a gallon or so.
Marion, IN
'66 Monza Coupe 140
'57 Cadillac Coupe
'61 Chevy Biscayne "327"
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

First - Indiana is a farm/corn state and a glut of U.S.A. cheap fracking oil has now diminished the need for adding ethanol putting farmers in a financial bind (many ethanol suppliers are farmer co-ops who built ethanol plants back when it looked profitable as a fuel alternative to make us energy independent). How times have changed. These big farma groups are putting pressure on YOUR politicians to increase the use of ethanol. As usual it's about the money. WRITE/EMAIL YOU POLITICIAN!

Second - I read, repeatedly, how E10 is causing fuel hose failure and carburetor rebuilds, yet I see little evidence of it. A buddy with a 1938 Packard got into a panic by "stories" and took off his carburetor and dismantled it. He found NOTHING, clean as whistle and no corrosion! The fuel hoses and lines were fine.

I'm old and frankly letting a vehicle sit for six or more months has ALWAYS caused fuel system problems. Gasoline, with or without ethanol, is a toxic brew that deteriorates with age. It has ALWAYS attracted water because as gasoline evaporates it chills the air above it and moisture drops out of the air into the gasoline. Aviation fuel has no ethanol, yet one problem is water in the fuel system from condensation. Two things a pilot learns as a student, always fill the aircraft tanks before the afternoon or night to purges moisture laden air out of the tanks, and at the first flight of the day you drain fuel at the sumps to look for any water and purge it.

Also note there are aviation additives in avgas that may NOT be compatible with you automotive fuel system. Also there is no "road tax" on avgas so it's illegal to use in in road going vehicles and the fines are steep in some states so most avgas sellers won't let you pump into anything but an airplane.

If you have an old car that sits a lot, yes use Sta-Bil additives, but a year is about tops for old gas even with Sta-Bil. Use GATES Barricade fuel hose as its rated for just about any fuel, even 100% ethanol. There is still cheapy fuel hose sold, a buddy got some and was sorry. Fill your gas tank before a car sits for awhile.

Clark's sells stainless fuel lines. The replacement gas tanks are not plated like the old ones (and even they rusted!) so hopefully a stainless gas tank will be available like on other older cars in the future.
squidlong

Post by squidlong »

Politicians were emailed and letters were sent weeks ago, hopefully they rethink the E15 thing. I drive one of my classics to work (I have 4) at least one day per week as I have nothing newer than a '66 Monza in my garage so gas is not sitting in the tank for long periods of time. I had a Qjet carb rebuilt that lasted less than 100 miles as they did not put a viton needle and seat in it. I replaced those items and she is better than new. Anything rubber has been replaced with ethanol compatible which has helped tremendously. Thanks for the insight on the aviation fuel, once again I was probably sold a bill of goods or somebody was just "funnin'" me. Guess I will continue with business as usual and see what happens. Thanks everybody for the great response!
Marion, IN
'66 Monza Coupe 140
'57 Cadillac Coupe
'61 Chevy Biscayne "327"
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Yes the rubber bits have to be ethanol compatible. Surprisingly a study found the old carb kits from the 60's worked fine, it was the replacement stuff made in the 70's and 80's that failed with ethanol fuels (cheaper stuff, 70's and 80's car stuff was not the best due to cost cutting measures). Now cars all use fuel injection so most of the carburetor repair parts are made offshore. One has to be careful about poor quality.

BTW the GATES Barricade fuel hose comes in two pressure ratings, one low for carburetors, one high for fuel injection. The lower pressure hose is less expensive. It is NOT rated for full immersion in fuel (that's a special hose that GATES makes for in tank use).

Good luck getting E15 killed off.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”