My 65 4spd Transaxle Has a Diff Dip Stick-

All Models and Years
GasDaddy140

My 65 4spd Transaxle Has a Diff Dip Stick-

Post by GasDaddy140 »

My Chilton's manual says that only 1964 4spds had differential dip sticks...so I'm checking in.

Thank you.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
terribleted

Re: My 65 4spd Transaxle Has a Diff Dip Stick-

Post by terribleted »

Chilton's is wrong. Throw that way and get a real GM shop manual:) 65's had diff check sticks as well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Interesting... My '65 doesn't... :dontknow:
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

My 64 powerglide does. :chevy:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

I have the G M (chevy) factory manual. It is the 1965 version.

Found lots of misprints, usually the hard way, when doing repairs.

Both of my 65's have differential dipsticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Jerry Whitt wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:02 pm I have the G M (chevy) factory manual. It is the 1965 version.

Found lots of misprints, usually the hard way, when doing repairs.

Both of my 65's have differential dipsticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
I know and the Chilton's has errors also. I was really just poking fun.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hey, I have the other manuals also and have found that they're all useful for different things. I was checking Chilton's (hard cover, 1st edition) for the fluid capacities section when I found the dip stick notation and found it interesting...the only car I've ever owned with one...I think.

But why doesn't acalson's 65 have one? Is it MIA, or capped off?
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Good question. or is it a 66 diff, or is it a 63 transaxle, or? these cars get mixed up you just never know the 140HP engine I am building was actually one side early case the other side late case, short throw crank and rods with late cylinders and 140 heads built by some moron about 20 years ago....shrug.

notched

Post by notched »

64 and 65 differentials came with dipsticks. 66-69 did not although 66-68 still had the cast boss for it if someone wanted to drill it. For some strange reason the cast of the differential housing was updated in 1969 and the casting boss for the dipstick and the drain plug (that was removed after 63) were eliminated. 64 is a 1 year only casting that incorporates the casting for the dipstick and the cast for the transverse leaf spring. 65 is also a 1 year only differential casting as there are some unique features because the gear box design but also has the provisions for the late suspension strut rods. If it does not have a dipstick it is possible someone replaced it with a pipe plug OR it could be a service replacement that did not have the hole drilled and tapped.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

Not to highjack this tread but what is the length of the differential dipstick for a '65 Corsa.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

My Corsa was originally built with a 140 engine. A previous owner swapped that out for a Turbo. He may have installed a complete '66 package. I pulled my engine out today - I've been planning to do that for a while. It needs some TLC. I discovered some interesting differences between what the '65 Shop Manual says and what I actually have installed. First off, there are not 2 separate rear strut rod brackets. There is a single bracket which bolts to both sides of the diffy and both struts bolt to it. Second, there are 4 bolts holding the front engine mount to the tranny - not 3. I'll see if I can locate a serial number on the transmission and differential and try to match them up with existing documentation. I'll let you know what I find.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

The 1965 and earlier standard transmissions and differentials had four bolts holding them together.
The 1966 and later standard transmissions and differentials had six bolts holding them together.

The 1965 Corvair cars had 1/4-20 x 1" (plus or minus) bolts for at the universal joint straps to hold the halfshaft in place on both ends. (Link to Clarks page with photo http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C1374 )

The 1966 and later Corvair cars had larger, longer bolts (maybe 3/8-24 X 2") at the universal joint straps to hold the halfshaft in place on both ends. (Link to Clarks page with photo http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C1375 )

In the years since these vehicles were new, there have been plenty of circumstances where the components installed in any given vehicle may have changed from "original". Unless your desire is to have a "Factory Stock" vehicle, function, in my opinion is likely a an acceptable alternative. JMO
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

On occasion my 64 has a DIP STICK at the steering wheel. :rolling:
Attachments
12-21-16 003.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

acarlson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:43 pm My Corsa was originally built with a 140 engine. A previous owner swapped that out for a Turbo. He may have installed a complete '66 package. I pulled my engine out today - I've been planning to do that for a while. It needs some TLC. I discovered some interesting differences between what the '65 Shop Manual says and what I actually have installed. First off, there are not 2 separate rear strut rod brackets. There is a single bracket which bolts to both sides of the diffy and both struts bolt to it. Second, there are 4 bolts holding the front engine mount to the tranny - not 3. I'll see if I can locate a serial number on the transmission and differential and try to match them up with existing documentation. I'll let you know what I find.
Your one piece strut rod bracket is not stock. It is likely a Crown engineering piece that is relatively common. I have used them in the past and like them just fine. There is some debate about resulting suspension angles...blah blah blah, some say the strut mounting holes are in the wrong place and should be re-drilled...blah blah blah. I could really not tell any difference in handling or ride between this setup and stock on my drivers. I did find that strut rod installation is much easier with the single bracket when removing and installing the powertrain.

Does your transmission have a cast or stamped steel side cover? Stamped steel is 65, cast is 66 or later Saginaw.

Me and Butch

Post by Me and Butch »

64powerglide wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:36 pm On occasion my 64 has a DIP STICK at the steering wheel. :rolling:
I don't care what anybody says :rolling: THATS FUNNY :clap:
1965 Corsa Convertible
1962 Rampside, world champion 1989 KC :tu:
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

That is really funny! And acalson dropped his engine and transaxle-good! I guess the occasional "steering wheel dipstick" was standard equipment...
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”