rochester carb with electric choke

All Models and Years
dick2256

rochester carb with electric choke

Post by dick2256 »

where should I get the electric for the choke coil?
would the battery wire on the alternator be ok?
terribleted

Re: rochester carb with electric choke

Post by terribleted »

Not really. The best place to pull this power is at the main harness connector to the engine harness. You want to connect into the ignition feed wire that feeds the resistor wire in the engine harness but on the main body harness side of the connector so it gets full 12V rather than voltage reduced by the resistor wire.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
notched

Post by notched »

Why do you keep posting the same question over and over again?
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Perhaps he is looking for a different answer? I thought I saw this on the other forum.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
notched

Post by notched »

I gave him the same answer you did in this thread viewtopic.php?f=55&t=12802
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

sorry guys I been having pc problems and I didn't see my other post had been answered
anyway thanks for the help
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The illustration and article below show a common location for tapping from a switched 12 VDC power point in a Corvair engine compartment. The illustration shows a portion of the engine compartment schematic for a 1962 (8 wire), 1964 (10 wire), and 1965 (12 wire) wiring connector in a Corvair. The multi-connector is always near the left-front portion of the engine compartment, near the voltage regulator location. The number of wires passing through the connector, and the color codes, vary with the model year. Locating the resistor wire that is connected to the ignition coil identifies a power wire that is switched by the ignition switch. Looking at the two halves of the connector can be a little confusing in the GM diagrams, as the wires make a left/right or right/left changeover in the illustration as the connection is passed over to the other side. The goal is to locate the "firewall side" of the multi-connector, and identify the wire that is tied to the resistor wire. This is a power wire that is switched by the ignition switch when it is in the ON position. Tapping in at this point provides a full 12 VDC switched battery voltage source before it is reduced by the resistor wire to supply the ignition system. Note that on a Corvair this supply wire is either 18 Gauge or 20 Gauge. If you choose to utilize T-Taps or Wire Taps, the correct color code for the plastic wire taps is RED (22-18 Gauge).

Left click the image to enlarge for better viewing...
Corvair 12V Switched Tap Location.jpg
Splicing into a wiring harness wire must be done carefully. The article below was written for motorcyclists, but the information applies to modifying your Corvair wiring harness as well...

The Problem with Wire-Tap Connectors
:link: http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resourc ... onnectors/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”