Blower Bearing and Housing Confusion...Growing

All Models and Years
GasDaddy140

Blower Bearing and Housing Confusion...Growing

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi Gentlemen and Corvairs!

Thanks to Scott V., I found that I had a 1964 only bearing and fan set...well now I discover that I have 3 types of bearings, 2 each of mag fans, and 2 housings-only not a housing that will work for me, the person that I really care about... and my car. It was could practice removing a couple bearings with heat though. Can someone please tell me why my new 1965 bearing has a thicker shaft? Does anyone want to trade me for some of this stuff? :)

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
IMG_3463.jpg
IMG_3465.jpg
IMG_3464.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
64powerglide

Re: Blower Bearing and Housing Confusion...Growing

Post by 64powerglide »

You need a new bearing for the smaller hub, I got mine from Rafee. My invoice doesn't have a part number so I cannot help you there. I got it 3 years ago for $26.00. I can mic the old one Saturday to see for sure of the size. You need to press the old bearing out of that middle hub in the photo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-64-Corvair ... 2401601381 / You need this to fit one of the covers you have.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I would get the top cover and mag fan for the larger shaft bearing, they went to the bigger shaft as the smaller ones eventually come loose and slide up and the fan will hit the fan shroud, some guys drill and tap for a set screw to hold it in, But the bigger bearings stay put better and last longer.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Here is my old bearing, October built 64, small hub. & was purchased Nov 1963. Options were AM radio, powerglide trans & oil bath air cleaner. I did not heat the cover to remove the old bearing, took less than 10 minutes.
Attachments
3-4-17 001.jpg
3-4-17 002.jpg
3-4-17 003.jpg
3-4-17 004.jpg
3-4-17 005.jpg

Kalamazoo, Mi..
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Thank You, 64PowerGluide and DaveMotoHead for enriching my Corvair knowledge! It's a lot different from working on my 1971 dodge van, which I consider myself an expert. I can sort this out now. :tu:
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Dave is correct, use the larger (later) bearing shaft and cover.

The fan bearing is basically a water pump bearing. Over the years different types have been modified to work from different vendors. The ONLY thing that matters is it fits and the fan flange the fan sits on is the correct distance from the top cover gasket surface flange - it's in the shop manual. Most make a tool to bolt to the bearing flange - heat cover and bearing/flange drops in to the correct height.

I recently gave away two old top covers to my recyling buddy because someone had broached the hole too large forcing the bearing out and in cold (not using heat). Five minute job.

You should have no trouble finding the correct top cover. Try motohead or Jeff at Calif. Corvair.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I guess some want you to get a new cover & fan to fit the bearing & hub you already have. Do you know for sure it's a new bearing???? How much will it cost for a cover & fan?????? Guys heat the cover up to get the old bearing out easy then wonder why they loosen up after a while. As I said I pressed the old bearing out cold & the new one in cold without any problem, I have 4,000 miles on the car since I put the new one in & haven't had a problem yet. GM used the smaller bearing with a heavy fan & they lasted for years, now with a lighter fan they should last longer. So you do what you want, it's your money but i'm cheap & just saying what I did. :my02:

Kalamazoo, Mi..
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

I'm "inexpensive" too! I've ordered the 64 type bearing because I have the other needed parts ready. However, I appreciate the different views and will hold that big bearing for future use. Just for fun, as I was searching for yet another fan housing around the garage and lean-to, I found another, starter! It looks earlier with a taper on the body. I'm sure that my friend Andy will want to tear it apart and get it working. Thanks again!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

64powerglide wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:40 am I guess some want you to get a new cover & fan to fit the bearing & hub you already have. Do you know for sure it's a new bearing???? How much will it cost for a cover & fan?????? Guys heat the cover up to get the old bearing out easy then wonder why they loosen up after a while. As I said I pressed the old bearing out cold & the new one in cold without any problem, I have 4,000 miles on the car since I put the new one in & haven't had a problem yet. GM used the smaller bearing with a heavy fan & they lasted for years, now with a lighter fan they should last longer. So you do what you want, it's your money but i'm cheap & just saying what I did. :my02:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been heating the top cover and chilling the bearing for 45+ years and have never had one come loose, Doing them cold is not the correct way to press them in and you have a good chance of broaching the hole or cracking / shattering the top housing, Just my :my02:
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

This is the only one I have ever done and the old one pressed out real easy & the new one went back in nice & snug, didn't even have to heat the hub. I just made sure I started it straight when I pressed it back in. Guess I was just lucky huh!!!!!!!! I did watch your video but I thought I would see how tight it was before using heat & as I said it came out easy. If you have been doing them that long you must have started working on them when you were about 5. ::-): By the way thanks for those video's, they have been a big help. :tu: This 64 is my 3rd. Corvair, the 1st. one was a new 62 102hp 4 speed & the 2nd. one was a new 65 4 door 95hp 3 speed, never had to work on either of those. I've sure learned a lot on this 64 though, it starts, drives & rides like a new one.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I agree Dave, the covers can break cold pressing in a bearing.

I sold a good cover to another person who said "I always done it that way and it worked" who BROKE his cover into pieces trying to press a fan bearing into a cover without heating it first. Money in my pocket!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I used a pipe on the bottom side of the cover when I pressed the new bearing in. :tu:

Kalamazoo, Mi..
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

:rafman: I built my first Corvair Engine when I was 8 :guitar:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I have shattered a cover before even with heat and chill. all cold is really a no no. If the bearing pressed in snug cold it may actually be a little loose.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Wonder if if a guy stood on the engine production line with a torch & heated the covers when installing the bearing. :doh: I'm sure 50 year old aluminum castings a lot weaker than new ones with all the heating & cooling of the engine. There has to be some metal fatigue over the years that's why I took precautions when pressing, it just worried me about getting the cover to hot & causing stress cracks. :eek: Six one way a half dozen the other I guess.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Oh jeff - now you are just being silly.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”