Stained driveway

All Models and Years
eriiczilla

Stained driveway

Post by eriiczilla »

Hey everyone!
So i have a 1960 700 with a power glide and it's leaking (circled in yelow on picture) transmission fluid from what I believe is part of the throttle linkage right above the transmission pan
Can anyone teach me how to stop this leak??

Thanks! :wave:
Attachments
20170215_125642.png
eriiczilla

Re: Stained driveway

Post by eriiczilla »

Okay reading around I have found that it is actually the transmission manual valve cable

Sent from my SM-N920V using Corvair Forum mobile app

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Replace cable
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Not uncommon. Google search and you'll find fixes folks do.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

It is by design that transmission fluid occupies the inner cable housing as far forward as where the cable curves up into the passenger compartment near the gas pedal. Because of this, a tear or crack in the outer plastic jacket can lead to a possible leak anywhere along the whole cable. The leak will be worse when the car sits for a long time as fluid up inside the transmission and torque converter slowly drains back after many days and this raises the fluid level well above the cable exit point.

Some have been able to repair the outer cable cover using Rescue Tape self-fusing silicone tape. If you think this will work for you it is a lot easier than replacing the cable but sometimes the damage is too great. If you try this method I very strongly urge you to use only Rescue Tape brand and not a knock-off version. The knock-off brands are not resistant to transmission fluid. It is hard to get the area clean before the tape application. I jacked up the car on the left to tip all fluid to the right. I flushed it well with lots of cleaner and made sure the area around it was oil-free so that as I wrapped the tape around it was not contaminated. I added multiple layers with some decent stretching so that the tape applied good pressure all around.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
eriiczilla

Post by eriiczilla »

azdave wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 am It is by design that transmission fluid occupies the inner cable housing as far forward as where the cable curves up into the passenger compartment near the gas pedal. Because of this, a tear or crack in the outer plastic jacket can lead to a possible leak anywhere along the whole cable. The leak will be worse when the car sits for a long time as fluid up inside the transmission and torque converter slowly drains back after many days and this raises the fluid level well above the cable exit point.

Some have been able to repair the outer cable cover using Rescue Tape self-fusing silicone tape. If you think this will work for you it is a lot easier than replacing the cable but sometimes the damage is too great. If you try this method I very strongly urge you to use only Rescue Tape brand and not a knock-off version. The knock-off brands are not resistant to transmission fluid. It is hard to get the area clean before the tape application. I jacked up the car on the left to tip all fluid to the right. I flushed it well with lots of cleaner and made sure the area around it was oil-free so that as I wrapped the tape around it was not contaminated. I added multiple layers with some decent stretching so that the tape applied good pressure all around.

thank you azdave this is exactly what i was looking for. ill post updates when i can. :tu:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I have seen all kinds of things wrapped around and coated onto this area to "fix" leaks. I have never seen a "fix" that lasted a long time. Perhaps you will have better luck than what I have seen.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

terribleted wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:52 pmI have never seen a "fix" that lasted a long time.
The repair on my 66 Monza was still dry when I sold it a few years later. The repair on my wife's 65 Monza is still good after nearly 5 years of use. Others on CorvairCenter report good results after I posted some info there in 2010.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... msg-324615

WIll it last forever? Don't know. It depends on how well the area is cleaned and how carefully it is applied by the user. I'm happy with my 5-year leak-free fix for under $10 when the alternative is a full cable replacement job. Last thing I want to do is put in a new PG cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-Self ... B00AZOK55G

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The repro cables are not all that hot either at least the ones I have installed. They do not leak but I have had them stretch and make adjustment issues. I will have to try this particular tape on one. I doubt I have seen this particular product used before. If I have maybe the prep was insufficient. Certainly worth a try...the worst that can happen is it will leak.

toytron

Post by toytron »

We use self fusing tape in the electrical trade for watertight connections. The key is clean and stretch. You need to get a good stretch on it. Go longer than the damage and give it a 50% overlap. This stuff works great when applied properly. It is a bear to remove when it has been on for many years but you won't need to remove if you end up replacing the cable at a later date.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
eriiczilla

Post by eriiczilla »

Is it recommended I use anything else along side the rescue tape?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”