Carter YH carburetor

All Models and Years
cwhunt

Carter YH carburetor

Post by cwhunt »

my yh carburetor leaks a ton of fuel from the choke valve after engine shutdown or even when cranked if the engine doesn't start right up. The return line is unclogged and I put a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel line and set it at 2.5 psi.

Today, I disassembled the carb to find that everything was in great shape, but I had to adjust all the measurements ie. both float levels, metering rod level, unloaded arm, and fast idle adjustments. I then placed the carb back on and still have that massive fuel leak. There was a check needle in mine, but Clark's has it in their catalogue for the '63 to have a ball. However the note for the '64 on says that the check needle is used for the hole that go all the way level to the cover, which mine does, so it is possible that I do have a '64 carb on there.

My way of thinking is that the only way for that much fuel to come out is through the metering rod jet.

I am at a lost and thought I could use some of your expertise to solve this issue. 

Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA.
'63 Monza Spyder

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder 150HP Turbo
66vairguy

Re: Carter YH carburetor

Post by 66vairguy »

The YH had a few revisions and it takes someone with experience to sort one out, which is not me.

Bob Helt has published some well regarded Corvair books and he has one for the YH - Clark's sells it - http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C12813
cwhunt

Post by cwhunt »

Further examination of the carb brought up another question. Upon inspection of where the gas is coming from, I saw this possible check ball.

Is this a check ball and should it be stuck?

Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
toytron

Post by toytron »

I am not in front of my Bob Helt book but that looks like it might be a vent tube for the carb. The only check ball is in the intake and discharge check circuit I believe. From a blown up parts diagram I got off of the web it does not show a check ball there. If someone is near their info maybe they could chime in.

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
toytron

Post by toytron »

1486986083324.jpg
This might help.

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Another broke YH, imagine that. lol

Fix: convert to electric pump and return style regulator, set to 1.5 lbs not higher then slightly lower the float level. I hate the YH, it never ever worked right for me.
Click it!
Coolair

Post by Coolair »

1487436758775.jpg
1487436749180.jpg
Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Corvair Forum mobile app

Coolair

Post by Coolair »

Iam In the process of rebuilding can't find the ball or the pin it might be stuck in the hole or lost

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Corvair Forum mobile app

cwhunt

Post by cwhunt »

Chances are it is lost. You should get a pen light and look and if you see nothing but a hole down there, then you need to replace it. The following will help you determine if you need the needle or ball. Look on your carb throat for these casting numbers.

0-1392 = 1962 150 - Has check needle
0-1507 = Early 1963 150 - Has check needle
0-1580 = Late 1963 and all 1964 150 - Has check ball
0-1750 = Early 1965 180 - Has check ball
0-1769 = Late 1965 and 1966 180 - Has check needle

Got this info from Nickshu.

Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
Vlafronza

Post by Vlafronza »

cwhunt wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:34 am Further examination of the carb brought up another question. Upon inspection of where the gas is coming from, I saw this possible check ball.

Is this a check ball and should it be stuck?

Mine looks the same and I’m leaking fuel. I’m assuming the check ball is jammed in there? What did you do?
Restoring a family owned 1963 Monza 900 Convertible with a turbo 150 swap and a 4 speed :chevy:
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That is a plug not a check ball.
One thing to check is that the tang on the float it touching the needle at a right angle. If it isn't you need to shim the seat until it does.
I've read a lot of fuel pressure regulators aren't accurate. Did you check it with a gauge or just set it to the number on it?
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Vlafronza

Post by Vlafronza »

Ok that’s what I was assuming after further investigation last night. Thanks for confirming! I previously set the float back in the fall and the car ran great. Stored it with stable in the fuel and fogged the carb. It’s ran since but not for long. I’m starting to think I clogged something. Going to give it a thorough cleaning and re-check the float.
To answer your question I have no clue what the fuel pressure is because I do not have an FPR. I guess it wouldn’t help to add one! Any recommendations on a good one?
Restoring a family owned 1963 Monza 900 Convertible with a turbo 150 swap and a 4 speed :chevy:
irfgt

Post by irfgt »

The accelerator pump diaphragm will cause a massive internal fuel leak if ruptured.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

It is hard to tell in the picture but it looks like the float tang is at an angle to the needle. That will cause flooding because the float is pushing sideways on the needle.
Post a side shot of the float and needle.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”