Harmonic balancer / how to check if it's slipped

All Models and Years
firstgencamarojunkie

Harmonic balancer / how to check if it's slipped

Post by firstgencamarojunkie »

I'm working thru some issues w/ my '65 Corsa - and - wanted to know how to check if the harmonic balancer had "slipped" and if the TDC mark is truly at the correct position? Thanks in advance - Andy.
terribleted

Re: Harmonic balancer / how to check if it's slipped

Post by terribleted »

There is a scribe mark on the face of the balancer you can see while it is installed. The mark is chiseled across between the center hub and the outer ring. Rotate the engine with a 3/4 wrench and look closely for the mark. If the mark on the hub is not aligned with the mark on the ring then it is slipped.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
firstgencamarojunkie

Wow / it actually appears to be about 5 degrees off! I assume the center mark is what should be trusted / not the outside mark. That will likely explain some of the occasional pinging I hear. I'm going to mark the "new" TDC position and set the timing accordingly and see what happens! Andy.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Here is an old photo of mine.
Attachments
Untitledpulley.jpg
Untitledpulley.jpg (76.32 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

firstgencamarojunkie wrote:Wow / it actually appears to be about 5 degrees off! I assume the center mark is what should be trusted / not the outside mark. That will likely explain some of the occasional pinging I hear. I'm going to mark the "new" TDC position and set the timing accordingly and see what happens! Andy.
Not a good plan get a new balancer. Next thing that happens after they start to slip is that the outer ring comes off and usually bores a hole in the oil filter causing a loss of oil and oil pressure usually at a very bad time. Could result in major engine damage.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
firstgencamarojunkie

Thanks terrible / hadn't considered that / probably a good idea to replace it - thanks - Andy.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Agree with TT - The harmonic balancer (actually a damper) is a perishable item. As the rubber ages the unit no longer does it job TO PROTECT THE CRANKSHAFT. Once the outer member starts to slip it's only a matter of time before it comes apart.

There are a few rebuilders around and Clark's sells new ones.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”