Modifying front cross members?

All Models and Years
toytron

Re: Modifying front cross members?

Post by toytron »

What Johnny joint parts work on a corvair? I went to Currie enterprises and they don't have a drop down for corvair.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

These are not drop in parts and they are not vehicle specific. They get retrofit into existing corvair suspension pieces which means cutting holes in the control arms and welding in the sleeves, cutting holes in the torque arms and welding in sleeves plus making steel gussets for reinforcement of the torque arm. The brake reaction rods get cut, a 3/4" threaded rod welded to it, adjuster sleeve and johnny joint rod end. Then custom brackets made that mount into the front suspension cross member for the rods. The part number for the control arm joint kit is CE-9112P-12 and for the torque arms CE-9110P-14. These will fit in the front cross member and torque arm mounts using the stock hardware. The part number for the brake reaction rod end I use is CE-9112N75-14 which mounts into the cross member brackets with 5/8" bolts.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
1965mike

Post by 1965mike »

thewolfe wrote:Yes, LM. I replaced all the bushings in the car that twist with johnny joints. Front lower control arms, brake reaction rods, rear torque arms, rear lower strut rods(strut rods I purchased from pmt fabrication). The spherical bushings remove all bind from the suspension so it is free to travel as intended which makes for a firm but smooth, precise ride with the HD springs and koni shocks. Hitting a pothole or a bump on one side can be a little harsh because of my stiff sway bars though. I have a 1" tubular chrome moly front bar and 3/4" rear bar. Clark's HD springs cut 1.25 coils in back, 1 coil up front with the big ball joints dropping another inch, adjustable bump steer adapters, custom quick steer arms. It handles very well around the twisties. I'm currently doing 2 more setups like mine for fellow local club members. Here's some shots of the front suspension, torque arms, and my car's stance.
su9e.jpg
su9d1.jpg
grass.JPG

Do you know or have available any heim or similar drop in - bolt up replacement for the brake reaction rods/control rods?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”