Question on loose axel splines on a '64

All Models and Years
AZScott

Question on loose axel splines on a '64

Post by AZScott »

While in the process of pulling the engine, transaxle, and transmission on my ’64 Spyder, I noticed the splined axle that goes into the outside universal yoke is somewhat loose. When both splines are mated together, you can feel a slight rotational movement when they are rotated against each other. Both sides are showing the same amount of movement. Again this is just a very slight movement, not easy to measure but can be felt in my hands. I looking at the splines, both show rust, and I am not sure which one is showing any wear. Also on one side the nut and washer that holds the outer yoke on the shaft was missing. As for loose fitting splines, is this a common thing and all I need to do is tighten the yoke on the end of the axle, or is this something that will need replacing ? I am curious as to recommendations from the forum. Thank You
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
Nickshu

Re: Question on loose axel splines on a '64

Post by Nickshu »

They should not have play. There is a special thick washer that goes under the bolt, if that were missing (or someone used a standard thickness washer) I could see where you might get play. If it's just rust then yours are toast...get new (used) axles.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

There should be no rotational slop between the yoke and the solid axle shaft. In fact if things are right a puller is needed to remove the yoke from the axle. The yokes or axle splines or both are worn. usually the yoke wears before the very hard steel axle. This slop should be eliminated with better parts....If it is very minimal and gone when the yokes are bolted properly into the axle it might be fine for a good long time but should be monitored. If wear continues far enough the axle will spin in the yoke making the car immobile and possibly damaging a usable axle (assuming it is not worn too bad already). I would be trying to find some better yokes to try.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks guys, I was afrade that was the case.
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

I am off trying to find a new set of yokes to pair with my shafts, and hoping my shafts are not too far worn. I am curious however, when I pulled the axles out, the right one was missing completely the bolt and thick washer that hold the shaft to the yoke, and on the left side the bolt and washer were there, but very loose and I was able to unscrew it with just my fingers. Is this a common problem?
There are several sources for Corvair used parts in the southwest, and I am wondering how available and expensive a good set of axles and yokes will be.
Appreciate any comments from the forum on this.
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Loose or missing yoke retaining bolts is not a common problem , but I have seen it before. Ensure the heavy washer, bolt, and lock washer are installed and securely fastened. It is likely that someone had the yokes off before and did not tighten the bolts fully. The bolts must be tightened until the yoke is FULLY seated onto the axle (this is supposed to be a light press fit). I bet the person in your case tightened the bolts until they felt tight but did not verify that the yokes were fully seated.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks again guys, was able to find a set of used yokes ($40 for the pair) at a shop around here, and they set up tight with my old axles. :tu: Used axles would have been extremely expensive.
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Most times it is the yoke that wears. The cast yokes are softer than the hardened steel axles.

64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Now is the time for new axle bearings unless you already have them. :tu: They ain't cheap but new ones are sure quiet. Took a 40 ton press to get mine off plus $50.00 but now I can drive it anywhere. :cool:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”