Repainting an EM '64 convertable

All Models and Years
AZScott

Repainting an EM '64 convertable

Post by AZScott »

I have a question on repainting an early model Corvair (’64). The paint on the car now is the factory Black Acrylic Lacquer. It’s badly in need of repair and a complete paint job. My plan is to do the basic body work myself, and take it to a professional shop for the final prime, sand, and color coats. Just don’t have the equipment and booth to do the paint correctly in my garage. So, my question,… My plan is to go with an Acrylic Urethane (like LIMCO Supreme Plus which is reasonably priced and I have used in the past), do I need to remove all the original Lacquer? I know some combinations do not work well and will cause all sorts of problems later on. I have also heard that Lacquer could be an excellent base as long as its sanded and not cracking. If I do need to remove it, can I use a chemical stripper on the original Lacquer?

I am looking for suggestions and recommendations. I have done several cars in the past, with success, but do not consider myself an expert. At this point I am on a budget, and in the planning phase, so everything is open. I am hoping to get some guidance from the forum from those who have already tackled something like this.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
terribleted

Re: Repainting an EM '64 convertable

Post by terribleted »

Ideally if catalyzed paint is to be sprayed then all material from the metal up should be catalyzed material. Lacquer is not catalyzed. Non-catalyzed materials can shrink and swell and cause delamination or cracked of the catalyzed top coats. That said, I have sprayed over many old lacquer finishes with few issues. I remember one VW however that had weird movement and spots showing in the paint all over before it left my shop. The best possible paint restoration will start at bare metal and follow a specific manufacturers recommendations for all undercoats and top coats. Even mixing brands between primer, sealers, etch primers and paints can cause issues.

How is the old lacquer surface? If it has any cracking (even very fine crazing that looks like someone scuffed it with fine sand paper), or bubbling then it is not suitable for repainting and the car should be stripped. Often only parts of the car (top surfaces usually) are particularly bad, BUT, if parts or it are failing, the rest is also failing just not as far along in the process. Do you want failing old paint under your new work?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks terribleted, it all makes sense. There is some cracking on the rear deck, so it is a candidate for a complete strip, so that's where I am headed with this now. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Oh I missed your last question above. Commonly available chemical strippers will generally work at least some. Around here the parts stores have always carried a product usually labeled aircraft stripper. It works pretty well on most paints. Lacquer often tends to soften and goo around rather than lift in a nice wrinkly layer, but can be somewhat scraped off at least. If you have trouble finding a proper product contact your local auto body supply store (supply materials to local auto body shops), they should be able to provide material or direction. Be sure to get all the chemical off when you are done and protect to not get it in places where it can not easily be removed after (like between an inner and out hood panel for instance).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Yes thanks again terribleted, I have used Aircraft Stripper before on an MGA, nasty stuff, You brush it on, and put a plastic sheet over the section, and in little time, you can take it off with a scraper. OK, so that sounds like it's still the stuff to use. (Thick rubber gloves and plenty of ventilation)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”