wood/plastic steering wheel

All Models and Years
Me and Butch

wood/plastic steering wheel

Post by Me and Butch »

I am interested in a person that has the expertise on restoring the steering wheel on a telescoping wheel of a 65 Corsa. did I spell this right :rafman:
1965 Corsa Convertible
1962 Rampside, world champion 1989 KC :tu:
Jerry Whitt

Re: wood/plastic steering wheel

Post by Jerry Whitt »

No. "Telescoping"

But you will be forgiven if from now on you spelling is correct.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Those original plastic wood wheels are the same as used non-adjustable steering columns. Also used on the Chevelle in 64 and 65 and are re-produced.

An original can suffer from a number of issues due to the plastic shrinking. I've seen cracks fixed, a new finish applied, but the one issue that isn't repairable is when the steel outer trim pops loose (bigger than the shrunken plastic). Not sure how the repairs stand up.

The other issue is some wheels were riveted to the UNIQUE Corvair hub and others used screws. The hole pattern is the same for the Corvair/Chevelle wheel (same wheel, just different hub).

Check out the reproductions. Some of the early reproductions did NOT have the outer steel band, but the newer ones I've seen have it. Clark's sold the reproduction wheel, and still might, or check the Chevelle parts reproduction folks. Yes you can order the wheel with out the hub and transfer it to the Corvair UNIQUE hub.

For those that want to replace a standard steering wheel, Seth Emerson sells the hub adapter and I think Clark's also has it.
Me and Butch

Post by Me and Butch »

:ty: Thanks for the info....
1965 Corsa Convertible
1962 Rampside, world champion 1989 KC :tu:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”