1963 charging issues

All Models and Years
n8rwaswrong
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

1963 charging issues

Post by n8rwaswrong »

The 63 has been converted from generator to alternator by the prior owner. It ran great for quite some time, but now the generator/alternator light comes on at low speeds or idle. I pulled the alternator and had it tested at the local parts place. They said it was good. I replaced the battery and it still has the same issue. I checked connections at the starter and elsewhere. Everything seems good. Any advice, tips, past scar tissue that anyone can help me with? Thanks in advance!
Jerry Whitt

Re: 1963 charging issues

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Sounds like the speed of the alternator is not enough. What is your idle speed? Usual is around 700 rpm on a stick shift. Is yours stick or auto?

Is this alternator an integral type or do you have a separate voltage regulator?
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
n8rwaswrong
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by n8rwaswrong »

Its a 4 speed and the idle is high not sure of the rpm but it seems to run better at a higher idle - and the belt is tight. Thanks for your help!
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

My bet is the alternator is at fault. It would fail if the test machine operated at a lower RPM. Replace it and motor on.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

As Jerry said - WHAT KIND OF ALTERNATOR - internal or external regulated?

I have little faith in "parts place" or FLAPS testing. If it was working something has changed. If the alternator is internally regulated it will be a hybrid 10SI with the Corvair 10DN front frame and fan/pulley (must be Corvair fan). A common conversion, I've done many for myself and buddies, BUT not something you can get at an auto parts store (well yes you can get a 10SI and swap the back sections) so it's best to find a good auto electrical shop to test and repair yours if needed.

Post pics and of back of alternator and we can tell you if it's an external or internal unit.

If it's a external regulator then that may be the issue, but if you are not experienced with electrical systems (few are) then find a good auto electrical shop to test everything.
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

If this car has an external voltage regulator, some can actually be adjusted. Take off the cover. Inside are some adjustments. Let us know what
type this is.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
n8rwaswrong
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by n8rwaswrong »

i have to admit I am good at mechanical, but in this case I am going to find a good electrical shop to check it out. If anyone has suggestions for Boise Idaho.. just let me know. Thanks again and I am so glad I found this forum. I look forward to working with all of you.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Contacting Todd Millican might be helpful. He is about 30 miles from Boise, and his technical knowledge, advice, interest in Corvairs, etc. may point you in the right direction...
Re: Needing an active Southwestern Idaho club.

Postby bmwtodd1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:48 pm

First post. Hi all, I am Todd Millican in Idaho. I am retired Army, still am a contractor specializing in Transportation for the Army. I also own a vintage motorcycle shop, where I do restorations and repairs of BMWs, Triumph, BSA and Norton. I do the wiring harnesses for vintage bmw bikes, powdercoat, machine work, paint, etc. So one of my long time customers is having me restore a vintage BSA for him, in trade he gave me his 64 Monza convertible, which has a trashed interior, but 3 extra engines, 2 transmissions and transaxles, front and rear suspension, as well as a complete extra set of trim for the car It's a little overwhelming, but I have always loved the corvairs, it might have had something to do with my dad racing them in the 60s. On the way home from school each day, I would walk down this driveway and dream about the 65 Monza that was sitting there in their shed. They never would sell it, and it finally probably was sold to scrap. But that is where my passion began. The wife (also Army) and I have old Mustangs and an SS El Camino of Grandpas. So I am open minded to adventure. Back to the Vair, It is black, and has been in storage for 25 years, but fortunately has only one small spot of rust that I will replace on the floor on a rear seat pillar, where it looks like there is a vent of sorts. And I would imagine that since the previous gentleman had obtained replacements he was aware of it. I already got the Clarks manuals, and the PO says that he has the original assembly manuals to give to me as well. Thanks for your time and input, as I read through most posts daily, and try to keep up with the institutional knowledge that many of you already have.....Cheers....Todd...

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:41 am

This is Todd Millican. I do live in Middleton and own a vintage motorcycle shop just outside Middleton. I say that because I have the tools available for auto/motorcycle repair and restoration. Bring a cup of coffee and pay for the supplies and you can putt around the shop to work on your projects. I'd like to get the club out there this spring, but most of the members are drivers rather than mechanics on their cars. At any rate, I joined the local club, and I would encourage you to make it to the next meeting. There are lots of nice folks, but sure need some help on their club website. The dates posted might leave you somewhere at the wrong place/time. I may offer to take that over to help them get fixed. Lord knows that I need one more project.....The local mechanic, Rick that was listed above is a wonderful man, and is a vast source of knowledge about our Corvairs. You can call me at 208.697.1976 if you need help getting set up. You won't regret it, and we always need new members, like any organization....
:link: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5158

:link: http://www.brittsandbeemers.com/index.html

This link may prove useful to you. It includes sources where you can download a large number of free Corvair technical references and shop manuals.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

If you are interested, there is a club chapter of CORSA (Corvair Society of America) based in Meridian, Idaho, which I believe is not very far from your location. Face-to-face contact with other Corvair owners in your area may prove to be useful, and socializing with other Corvair enthusiasts can add a lot to your new Corvair hobby.
CORSA Chapter Locator - Boise Basin Corvairs

Chapter ID: 837
Organization Name: Boise Basin Corvairs
Street Address (Primary): P.O. Box 973, Meridian, ID
President: John Rigg, Email: jrigg@q.com
Vice President: Greg Womack, Email: president149@gmail.com
Secretary/Treasurer: Greg Reeder, Phone: (208) 343-0912, Email: gardriver2@aol.com
Historian: Don Matthews, Email: dlmatthws@gmail.com
Membership: Frank Taylor, Email: taysndogs@msn.com
Newsletter Editor: Becky Taylor, Email: taysndogs@msn.com
Newsletter Name: Corvair Connection
Email (Primary): taysndogs@msn.com

CLUB MONTHLY MEETINGS: 3rd Tuesday of each month.
6:30 pm at Fiesta Guadalajara
704 E Fairview Dr.
Meridian ID 83642
:link: http://50.87.207.56/~fiestas2/locations/meridian/

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”