Question on 64 unitized body strengthening

All Models and Years
AZScott

Question on 64 unitized body strengthening

Post by AZScott »

I have a 64 convertible Spyder I am working on. The underside and floor boards appear to be in very good shape, with no rust apparent. The car has had repair to the driver side between the rear of the door and the back tire. I am wondering if there is anyone with information on strengthening the structure of the EM unitized body. While I have it stripped down and the seats and carpets removed are there additional bracing I can install that could improve the overall rigidity. Perhaps there is a project documented were someone has had success doing something like this. I would like to keep the stock look with no roll bars. I don’t think the driver side repairs are an issue, but I am more concerned about a 50+ year old tired unitized body that may be in need of strengthening or re-enforcing. Be curious as to what advice others may have. At this point I am open for suggestions. Thank You.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
66vairguy

Re: Question on 64 unitized body strengthening

Post by 66vairguy »

The general consensus is the early cars 60-64 had stiffer body torsion than the later cars, ESPECIALLY the convertibles. That said the rocker areas were special on convertibles and any repair there puts the car in question and need to be investigated.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth, but a 64 convertible body in GOOD shape is fine for normal driving and probably less prone to cowl shake than many other convertibles of the era. If you want to go racing, then that's another story - of course due to weight a convertible is a poor choice for racing and stiffer springs and the open top structure are not a good match. A stiffer spring needs a rigid platform to support it.
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

First off I am not an Engineer or some kind of EM expert. I am though a 3 time owner of EM Corvairs. I can tell you that my experience with them is that they are a very well built car, and that the body is pretty stiff. I had a 63 Convertible and have to say that its body was pretty stiff, especially compared to my 62 Buick Special, also a unitized body. The convertible EM's had extra reinforcement run down along the floor by the doors. like a rocker panel on the inside. Unless you are going to be racing yours I wouldn't do much other than make sure all panels and channels are solid and no welds are broken. Again, just my :my02:
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

BTW - Regarding your concern about old spot welds. Not a known issue on the Corvair. While this is an issue on some cars, the Corvair sheet metal gauge and generous number of welds has resulted in bodies holding up very well over the decades to the best of my knowledge. Of course a car that's been in an accident needs careful inspection.
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks 66vairguy & wbabst, appreciate your comments. That’s good news, and sounds like I will be safe.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

All Corvairs, particularly the early models are pretty darn stiff. Try pulling one on a frame machine:) No additional bracing is generally needed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”