I'm stumped...

All Models and Years
acarlson

I'm stumped...

Post by acarlson »

This is a good one... I had to replace my windshield motor and washer so I ordered new (rebuilt) ones from Clarks. They came as separate units - you had to mount the washer on the motor frame yourself. When I did that, I noticed that the nozzles were pointing to the left whereas the stock nozzles were pointing right. With the nozzles pointing to the left, I could not mount the motor - the wiper motor frame holes did not line up with the holes in the bulkhead. I took the nozzles off, rotated them 180 degrees, bolted them back on and mounted the wiper motor. Looks like Clarks sent the washer with the nozzles pointed in the wrong direction. Once I got the wiper motor mounted, I tested low speed, high speed and the washer. Everything look good - but I did not have the wiper arms installed. I needed new blades - which I got yesterday. I turned the wiper motor on and off a few times to get it to park. Then I installed the wiper arms parallel to the bottom edge of the windshield. OK, this is where you come in... When I turned the wipers on, the arms rotated right-to-left so instead of going up over the glass, they went down on top of the hood. I took the arms off again and ran another wiper motor test. The wiper motor was turning the wiper arm control assembly counter-clockwise which would rotate the wipers from right-to-left. The motor always parked in the same spot. Any ideas on how to fix this ??? Please don't suggest I mount the wiper blades vertically - I already considered that option... :td:

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: I'm stumped...

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: The illustrations below are from the attached extract of the 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE & ASSEMBLY. I have also attached the applicable section of the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual. I'm not sure how to clear up your problem, but hopefully these will help.

Left-click each image to enlarge for better viewing...
WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE & ASSEMBLY (1).jpg
WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE & ASSEMBLY (2).jpg
WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE & ASSEMBLY (3).jpg
Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE & ASSEMBLY.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE & ASSEMBLY
(935.03 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - CHASSIS ELECTRICAL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
(6.99 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

I would guess that the arm on the wiper motor is reversed. In the parked position, it should point to the driver's side.
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Steve, if you are correct - THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM !! When parked, the motor arm is pointing to the passenger side... I wouldn't expect Clarks to get this wrong but they did have the washer nozzels mounted in the wrong direction. Maybe they thought the wiper motor mounted on the right side of the car... :doh:

I'll try changing the arm orientation and we'll see - I'll let you know...

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Steve, you were right on the money - that was the problem. The wiper motor arm was mounted in the wrong direction. I remounted it 180 degrees around installed everything again and now the wipers move in the right direction. Thanks for your suggestion - it worked perfectly.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

Glad it worked! :tu:
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”