Distributor

All Models and Years
TheCommish

Distributor

Post by TheCommish »

I had to pull my distributor out to get at Iddler arm pulley nuts, now to put it back.... I doesn't seem to seat right, also other than the nut and washer, how does the other bigger retainer fit into the body of the distributor?
terribleted

Re: Distributor

Post by terribleted »

The distributor is generally not removed to access the idler pulley nuts (short or special bent wrenches are used). That said since you removed it, it must be returned to the precise position it was in before it was removed. The rotor must point in the same direction or the timing will be off. If the distributor does not seat all the way down then the shaft has been rotated (or the oil pump drive boss has been rotated) so that the lower end of the distributor is not falling into the oil pump drive. IF the oil pump has not been rotated, AND, the engine has not been rotated since the distributor was removed you need to point the rotor the right way so that it ends up precisely where it was before you removed the distributor, when you get it in that position it should rotate slightly as you put it in the hole and the shaft should drop into the oil pump drive and the distributor seat all the way down (do not assume that it is correct if it goes all the way down as it could be rotated 180 degrees out (don't forget to reinstall the distributor base gasket as well). IF you are unsure of the correct positioning of the distributor shaft and rotor then you need to refer to the shop manual distributor installation engine disturbed instructions and follow them to the letter to get it back where it needs to be. You did not reference here what Corvair you are working on. The instructions in the 65 shop manual are on page 6Y-20.

The retaining bracket goes on with the top of the bend up then the lockwasher and nut.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”