64 Monza shifting issue

All Models and Years
Mbrannon64

64 Monza shifting issue

Post by Mbrannon64 »

Newbie back with another question. Dad and I are working on the Vair the floor shifter was all gummed up. took it out and got it all cleaned up and moving good. And adjusted the rear linkage with a 1 7/8 block the way I read the manual . The car shifts great when it sitting still. But under power it is very hard to shift. Almost impossible have to come to a complete stop sometime even to get it back in gear. Any thoughts ? Could it be worn motor mounts? Front bushing? Or I don't have it adjusted right? Not sure how to adjust rotation of the shaft if it could be that.
Thanks Mike
b74eqcm

Re: 64 Monza shifting issue

Post by b74eqcm »

What does 'hard to shift' mean? Does it take a lot of force to move the shifter, or does it just not want to go in gear, or are the gears grinding, or???
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
Mbrannon64

Post by Mbrannon64 »

Hard to get into gear. No grinding. Put when it's sitting still it shifts fine in and out of gear
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Check the clutch adjustment.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Mbrannon64 wrote:Hard to get into gear. No grinding. Put when it's sitting still it shifts fine in and out of gear
Is the engine running while "sitting still"?

If the engine is OFF and if shifts fine then start the engine and put in the clutch and wait for the main shaft to spin down and try shifting. If it is hard to shift then the clutch is not fully releasing or the pilot bearing is dragging and causing the input shaft to keep turning.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:chevy: See "Clutch Linkage Adjustment" on page CLUTCH 6B-2 of the attached 1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch.
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch
(256.53 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch
(459.77 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
CLUTCH LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5032

Shoud you find that the clutch cable is binding and not releasing fully, replacing the clutch cable and/or servicing the pulleys may be in order...
Replacing a Corvair Clutch Cable.pdf
Replacing a Corvair Clutch Cable
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Parts are listed below. Since a broken clutch cable can occur without warning, is a "show stopper", and parts cannot be found locally — requiring a parts shipment from an often-distant Corvair supplier, it is often a good idea to keep a spare clutch cable in the trunk!
ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=112

The websites listed in the following link may be useful to you...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Mbrannon64

Post by Mbrannon64 »

Shifts fine when engine is running at idle
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Mbrannon64 wrote:Shifts fine when engine is running at idle
That would indicate the input shaft stops when the clutch is in at least at idle.

Did the shifting problem exist BEFORE you worked on the shifter tube or just after?

If the problem happened after you worked on the car - then you need to figure out what you might have caused. If the problem was there BEFORE you worked on the car, then number of things could be an issue.

If the clutch linkage is adjusted correctly, the engine mounts are good, the transalxe lubricant is good, then you may need to have a Corvair expert check out the transaxle. The EM transmissions went through a number of revisions and it pays to find someone who is experienced with the Corvair transmission.

BTW - the number one cause of transaxle failure is lubricant that has NEVER been changed. If it's black, the lube is well past being due for replacement. Not all transaxles have drain plugs, so you may have to suck out the lube via the filler holes.
Mbrannon64

Post by Mbrannon64 »

Thanks for all the reply's. I will get back at it this weekend. The shifting problem was there when I bought it the transaxle fluid was low do to bad seals I replaced the seals and refilled. Like I said the floor shifter was all gummed up and cleaned and lubed it and thought it was fixed when shifting at idle. I have a new front bushing just need to change it.. The engine is leaning lower on the driver side. But the mounts look worn but not really different from right to left. I will look at the clutch linkage I just figured if the clutch held the car still in gear it was ok. But this is my first Vair.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”