Problems with starter engaging the ring gear

All Models and Years
rustynuts66

Problems with starter engaging the ring gear

Post by rustynuts66 »

I am new to the forum and to working on Corvairs, so hello all and thanks in advance for any advice.
I have a 62 4 door which was a field find and am trying to get back going. I pulled the old starter and the top 3/4 of the teeth were worn which reflected why the engine would turn a little and then stop. Purchased a rebuild kit and replaced bushing and bendix and the bendix did not match what was in the starter in that it was shorter. I don't know the history of the car but it was originally an automatic and is now a standard. Reading suggests there were different flywheel & pressure plate combinations between 62 and 63 or 64. Could the problem be that there is a mix of years between the new standard transmission and the 62 motor and which flywheel was used that are causing this problem? How can I tell the year of the transmission? Any other thoughts on what may be wrong?
terribleted

Re: Problems with starter engaging the ring gear

Post by terribleted »

The starters are the same 60-69. There were diff configuration but the location of the ring gear is the same and the same starter is used for all years. If the existing starter gear was worn you should inspect the ring gear for wear as well. Unfortunately with a stick shift car that leaves you rotating the engine with a wrench and peering at the ring gear thru the starter mounting hole. The ring gear is part of the pressure plate assembly. The original flywheel in these cars are riveted together. Most of these old flywheels now have loose rivets. If the rivets are loose enough they can allow the pressure plate to shift a bit off center causing issues with the starter meshing properly. If the ring gear teeth are worn then you will need to replace the pressure plate assembly. If you are there and the flywheel is not perfect, replace it as well:) Worn teeth on the ring gear can come from causes other than a loose flywheel of course (broken starter in the past for example).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
rustynuts66

Post by rustynuts66 »

Thank you for confirming that there was only one starter, which still leaves me confused as to what was previously done to this car as the bendix in the starter removed had around a 1/2" neck below the gear making the gear stick out further than the standard replacement. The replacement will not even reach the ring gear as it is too far back from the mounting holes. I Guess I will just have to pull it apart and see what flywheel and pressure plate is in it. I have seen where there is a different flywheel for 60-63 than for the 64-69. I would think this should match the Transmission rather than the motor. is this correct?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

any clutch can be used in any year as well. Clutch parts can not be intermixed ...early parts with early clutch and late with late only but the clutch assemblies are interchangeable. Which clutch should make no difference in starter mesh. Mismatched clutch parts will make the clutch not work properly however.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

The solenoid pushes the Bendix drive gear into the ring gear then slides back when the engine starts. Do you have a new solenoid??
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”