Oil Leak

All Models and Years
God.favored

Oil Leak

Post by God.favored »

Ok guys, maybe someone can help me with fixing my oil leak. I had an oil leak thought it may have been coming from the valve covers, or the oil pan. I replaced both and even got new valve covers, studs and retapped a stripped thread that I thought may have been the culprit. Now it seems like the oil pan is leaking even more but from all around it. I used a cork gasket, and torqued it down to 60 inch pounds and I could see it tighten but not deform the gasket. Put oil in, started it up and when it warmed up it leaked all over the oil pan. tightened it up all around and it slowed significantly but still leaks, I was told not to tighten it too much or you will ruin the gasket, but I'm kind of just thinking about tightening it until it stops, any thoughts?

I also get oil dripping from the exhaust manifold hold down, it looks like it may be coming from the block bolt in the side of the engine, but I'm not sure could be a push rod tube o-ring, anyone have any advice? thanks guys, leaks way too much to want to get it out on the road right now.

btw, its a 67 with a 65 140 and 4 speed in it.
Attachments
IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG
IMG_1858.JPG
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
terribleted

Re: Oil Leak

Post by terribleted »

from your photos it looks as if the pushrod tubes may be leaking. You need to clean up all that oil on the sides of the case around the tubes then operate the motor and see if they get wet again...the goo there now may be from leaking tube seals or may be from splash while other things were/are leaking.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

terribleted wrote:from your photos it looks as if the pushrod tubes may be leaking. You need to clean up all that oil on the sides of the case around the tubes then operate the motor and see if they get wet again...the goo there now may be from leaking tube seals or may be from splash while other things were/are leaking.
Thanks, I'll degrease it tomorrow afternoon and give it a drive around a bit. I was kind of worried about that. I've never done the push rod tubes except when I rebuilt my last motor. Can it be done in the car or is it better just to pull the motor?
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Pull the motor? Hardly. You drain the oil and remove the valve covers. Remove the rocker arm assys (note how many threads are showing above the rocker nuts) and studs from 1 cylinder at a time only. Pull out those 2 tubes and clean and replace their orings. Reinstall the 2 studs and retorque. Reinstall the pushrods and rocker arms tightening rocker nuts until same number of threads showing as before. (Be sure the pushrods are properly seated in the lifter while reinstalling and also be sure to reinstall all parts exactly where they were removed). Proceed to the next cylinder and repeat until all 6 are done. Perform cold valve adjustment per shop manual or install partial valve covers, start engine and perform running valve adjustment. Reinstall valve covers and all done.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

That's right! I forgot that the tubes slide in from the outside of the head. I guess you can tell it's been a while since my last rebuild, I was thinking that the tubes where sandwiched between the head and the block and that it wouldn't slide right out of the head. Thanks again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is some info I posted on this subject that may prove to be helpful...
bbodie52 wrote:Some useful davemotohead videos related to this question...

When checking for leaks, if you find some push rod tubes leaking, plan on replacing all of the large and small O-rings with new VITON seals (not just the ones that are currently leaking). Also, take a look under the oil cooler area, as the two seals on the oil cooler (left side of engine) also commonly cause leaks that can add to your oil leak content in the lower shrouds.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... AIN&page=4

The shop manual sections below support the instructions in the YouTube video from Dave Motohead. Also, the following link may prove to be useful...

Removing Corvair Cylinder Heads
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=4063
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE PUSHROD TUBES AND O-RINGS and VALVE ADJUST.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE PUSHROD TUBES AND O-RINGS and VALVE ADJUST
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE PUSHROD TUBES AND O-RINGS.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE PUSHROD TUBES AND O-RINGS
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”