The Manual says the Oil Cooler is 8 to 12 lbs on the bolt

All Models and Years
TheCommish

The Manual says the Oil Cooler is 8 to 12 lbs on the bolt

Post by TheCommish »

So on my EM 110 what is everyone torquing it at?
cnicol

Re: The Manual says the Oil Cooler is 8 to 12 lbs on the bolt

Post by cnicol »

I just tighten until it's normal-snug. I've never "torqued" one. All you're really doing is compressing the sealing tubes. Torque beyond that is just so the bolt won't loosen. Overall it's not a critical thing vs. say a connecting rod or suspension part.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If you want to be precise get out your torque wrench and torque it to 8-12 foot pounds. If you are going to do much work on Corvair engine you need a torque wrench or wrenches capable of measuring 10-100 foot pounds or so . As cnicol said this particular bolt can just be normally hand tightened...just do not play King Kong on it. The issue is that people will tend to over torque this bolt. That is why it has an 8-12 spec on such a large bolt (which would often be torqued much more based on bolt diameter and size). 12 foot pounds is not particularly tight. I am sure I have removed numerous oil cooler bolts that were 2-3 times that tight because they were not properly torqued during install. Most of the assembly bolts on the Corvair motor NEED a torque wrench to install properly (and many must be tightened in the proper sequence as well....see the proper GM Corvair shop manual for details)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
chris

Post by chris »

When I replaced mine, it leaked a little when torqued to 8. I then torqued it to 10 and no leaking; that little bit made the difference.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”