Manual Powerglide

All Models and Years
jmikulec

Manual Powerglide

Post by jmikulec »

I am looking to have more fun in the 65 monza. I found the shifter on Clark's. What do you suggest putting one in my powerglide car making it a manual setup where I can shift up an down from 1st and 2nd.
terribleted

Re: Manual Powerglide

Post by terribleted »

You can do that with the stock shift knob. Have to be careful not to shift down too soon and overspeed the engine, and up and down shifting will always be limited by internal trans settings...which will help you not overspeed the engine to a point. I think what you are suggesting is pointless. as you can do the same thing essentially with your right foot. If the linkages and trans are adjusted properly the trans will shift down and/or stay in first at full throttle until around 45-50MPH at which point the engine RPM's are high enough to start wheezing anyway (nearly Tached out).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

You said I can use the stock manual shifter? Because I have a late model 4spd shifter. I just don't have the shift tubes or anything.
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

Or did you mean stock powerglide shifter on the dash?
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

What would you do? Go from Low to Drive?
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Clark's floor shifter on page 135 for a powerglide gives it the look of a 4 speed. Yes you can shift from low to high.
Attachments
135 - Copy.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Image Instead of capturing an image of a page from the Clark's catalog, and then uploading a JPEG image to your post and embedding it it with the text, all you have to do is RIGHT-CLICK anyware on the Clark's catalog page image. Doing so will produce a pop-up menu that includes an option labeled: Copy image address (as shown below). This invisibly copies the image IP address to your computer clipboard.Then, in the Corvair Forum editor, click on Img to produce the image markers within your text body. Then paste (Ctrl-V) the text of the IP address between the image markers, as shown below. Doing so will embed an image of the Clark's Corvair Parts catalog screen into your post. (Note that I even used this process to embed the "Helpful Tips" graphic at the top of my post). This process usually results in a larger, more legible display of the Clark's catalog page embedded in your post!
Image IP.jpg
[img.]http://www.corvair.com/2013SPGFX/135.jpg[/img]
Produces...
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Here are my right click mouse options, now what??????????? I have told you before my mouse dose not give me the options you get with yours, wish it did because the picture program in this windows 7 is worse than the windows XP I used to have . I'm not much with computers but I see no other option.

Jeff
Attachments
mouse.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Maybe the menu options are peculiar to Google Chrome (my web browser). I am running Windows 10, and my two web browsers are Microsoft Edge (which replaced Microsoft Internet Explorer in Windows 10) and Google Chrome.

When I open a Clark's Corvair Parts catalog page in Microsoft Edge, I run into a similar problem when I right-click the screen image, which produces a menu that only displays "Ask Cortana", "Save Picture As", "Share Picture", "Select All", and "Copy". This is much different from the Google Chrome menu I displayed earlier.

I discovered that if I choose "Copy" in Microsoft Edge, I can choose a paste option in a target text editor with a "Keep Text Only" or "Paste as Plain Text" option and I get the desired URL from the original source graphic. Perhaps if you choose "Copy" in internet Explorer on your Windows 7 PC and then right-click the text editor area in the Corvair Forum, you will see a similar option to paste the text associated with the image you copied (which would be the URL address associated with the source image).

Alternately, you might try downloading and installing Google Chrome from the appropriate Google website (it is free)...

:link: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

I suspect that if you use Google Chrome as your Web browser, you may find it to your liking and a little less confusing. It i compatible with Windows 7 and it will not modify your old Web browser, so you can use them on the same PC interchangeably.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

jmikulec wrote:Or did you mean stock powerglide shifter on the dash?
Yes you can select low gear from the stock shifter.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

jmikulec wrote:What would you do? Go from Low to Drive?
Yes the powerglide only has low and drive so you will be shifting between the 2 gears. The shifter I see linked is really just an appearance item and will work the same way as the stock dash knob.

If you want more than switching between low and drive you will have to convert the car to a different transmission.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

jmikulec wrote:What would you do? Go from Low to Drive?
Manually selecting low will keep the trans in the low gear for until you shift it to high gear (drive), or overspeed too hard too long and blow up the engine:) I would not attempt too many hot runs this way unless you have a Tach in the car so you can know if you are approaching over over the red line. Same thing with downshifting you can select from D to L and the trans will downshift. If down shifted at too high a speed engine damage could result from overspeeding it.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”