Wiring question

All Models and Years
SteveH

Wiring question

Post by SteveH »

I posted this on CC also but no replies so far.....

This is about the "Corsamatic" It is a Corsa that was converted to a PG Auto. I am looking to replace the forward harness, the dash harness, and the engine harness as the existing once has splices and home done connectors everywhere...

The forward harness should be unaffected by the car being an auto Corsa as I understand it.

The Dash and Engine harnesses are usually listed with "Corsa" being different. What would I need to do to get the "Corsa" versions but adapt them for the Auto?

Thanks in Advance,

P.S. Something like this HAS been done because i have full gauges and the neutral safety does work on the Auto currently (i.e. it will not start in R or D or L, only in N)

P.P.S If anyone has decent used ones I'd be interested in buying them....
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Wiring question

Post by bbodie52 »

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=97

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=98

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=98A

:link: http://www.ronfrancis.com/

Since you are considering used wiring harnesses, you might check with the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. They have a large inventory of scrapped Corvairs and may be able to salvage the wiring harnesses you need from some of those Corvairs.

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325
​Phone: 717-624-2805
fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine
​Email: corvairranch@embarqmail.com
Our hours are Monday thru Friday, 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12. or contact us for an appointment.
:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/home.html

They can be a valuable resource for mechanical parts, interior components, body parts, etc.

The websites listed in the following link may be useful to you...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
1965-66 Corvair Instrument Panel Detail (Corsa).jpg
1965-1966 Corsa Engine Warning Circuit.jpg
1965-1969 Corvair Trunk Schematic Diagram
1965-1969 Corvair Trunk Schematic Diagram
1965-1969 Corvair Interior Compartment Wiring Diagram
1965-1969 Corvair Interior Compartment Wiring Diagram
1965-1969 Corvair - Instrument Cluster and Body Harness (CORRECTED)
1965-1969 Corvair - Instrument Cluster and Body Harness (CORRECTED)
1965-1969 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram (CORRECTED)
1965-1969 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram (CORRECTED)
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks. I have all that research, but thanks for sharing it!

The main question is that I am assuming that I will be buying a Corsa Set and making the modifications, but I was wondering WHAT portions would be different with an Auto vs Stick.

I'll give Jeff a call. Thanks again!
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I think you already have most of the answer. The Corsa set should already be correct to accommodate the Corsa instrument panel differences, and since no Corsa was ever sold with an Powerglide transmission, you will have to cut and splice the needed connectors for the two switches in the shifter mechanism (neutral safety breaks the 12 PPL wire as it leaves the ignition switch on its way to the starter solenoid, with the starter solenoid actuation only possible with the safety switch closed (shifter in NEUTRAL). The 20 DG wire would be included with the Corsa set, but the switch location would be at the rear of the tunnel to connect to the manual transmission backup switch. In your case the manual transmission connector would have to be cut out and the wire spliced together. Back at the instrument panel the backup lamp power wire would be cut and the necessary connector for the switch in the instrument panel would have to be added. So adding the connections for the two switches in the instrument panel shifter would be the only modification inside the car, and eliminating the manual transmission backup switch connector would be the only modification in the rear of the car.
Corsa PG Mods.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

very cool! Thanks!
CORSA Member #034095
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I would do this using an automatic car dash harness from the same year as the Corsa. I would use same year Corsa wiring harnesses for the rest of the car. I would the modify that combination to accommodate the added Corsa instruments....not very many extra connections actually (tach feed, temp sender feed and a vacuum tubing) and everything else plugs up. You should be able pick up the temp gauge feed and the tach feed at the plug from the main body harness to the dash harness. I would bet you could remove these wires and terminal from the existing Corsa dash harness plugs and actually install them into the automatic dash harness. I say to do it his way because it is easier to add the couple single wires to an automatic harness than it is to fab up a neutral safety circuit (need to have the right plug for the shifter as well...which is already in the auto harness).

If you are locating the shifter far from it original position you will likely have to lengthen the neutral safety wires as there is not much slack.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

...it is already a PG. Already has neutral safety working. I just want to replace it with fresher wiring, this one is crusty
CORSA Member #034095
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Yeah you can go at it modifying either Corsa or PG harness. Get a better or new PG harness IMO, too bad the repros are so pricy:( They are very very nice though.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

yeah, still debating new or used... I will look at the PG to Corsa path. thanks!
CORSA Member #034095

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”