Can't Get My '68 Started

All Models and Years
crtoons

Can't Get My '68 Started

Post by crtoons »

I have a '68 Monza that I normally drive about two days a week but recently it has sat around in the driveway for about a month and when I went to take it out to get it washed, I couldn't get it started. It revs and revs but I can't get it to run! The only thing I succeed in doing is to flood it. Anyone out there with ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on or what I can do?
Scott V

Re: Can't Get My '68 Started

Post by Scott V »

if its flooded..........floor it & crank it over until it starts.

-Scott V.
toytron

Post by toytron »

Well it sounds like you are getting gas but what about spark?
Have you pulled the plugs and looked at them?
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Do you feel that you have the mechanical experience to begin a logical series of tests to determine the fault? Looking back at your previous posts you indicated that you lacked much mechanical experience but you are willing to learn, and that you would be joining one of the many CORSA club chapters in Southern California. Would it be possible for you to recruit an experienced member of a local club chapter to assist you in troubleshooting your car? Without some tuneup experience your observations could easily miss the cause of your problems. While there is plenty of experience available on the Corvair Forum, we are blind without effective troubleshooting, testing and your effective reporting of your observations to elicit meaningful recommendations from the Corvair Forum.

Does your Corvair distributor still utilize a stock configuration with points and condenser, or has it been upgraded with an electronic ignition system? Your answer can have a significant impact on further troubleshooting recommendations.

:dontknow:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

Pull the distributor cap off and look for signs of moisture. If it is present, dry off the inside and take a hair dryer and let it blow hot air into the cap for a few minutes. I am assuming you are not getting spark and this is the easiest thing to try.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”