Source for bulbs

All Models and Years
Turbo Tom

Source for bulbs

Post by Turbo Tom »

I have a question that seems simple but it is proving to be a problem. I can't find the proper size bayonet base to fit my 63's parking/tail light sockets. I have ordered from several places claiming to be "standard" or "regular" size instead of "miniature". if it's a matter of changing sockets ok, but it seems like there ought to be a source for 1157 bulbs. If I do need new sockets who is the appropriate source.

Thanks for any advice.
wbabst

Re: Source for bulbs

Post by wbabst »

Hey Tom, it shouldn't be a problem, I went to my local autozone website and they have the bulbs in stock.

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and- ... ckfit=true

I don't recall them ever being called miniature before but were listed on their site that way but the bulbs look right. The parts book actually calls out for a #1034 Bulbs for the Brake lights and front parking light, turn signals. That bulb is directly replaced by a number #7528. or #7528LL. According to the specs either bulb will work but the 7528 is a 38 Lumens Brighter. With the tiny size of the tail lights on our cars, I would opt for brighter.

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and- ... ckfit=true
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
Turbo Tom

Post by Turbo Tom »

Actually I did go to Auto Zone and bought 1034 bulbs but they were the minature base. I was not aware of 7528 bulbs but I'll give it a try. I've bought bulbs from Cal Corvair and Clarks and neither seem to fit the sockets..too small. I think what I will have to do is mic the socket then mic the bulb base at Auto Zone.

Thanks for your reccomendation. I'm off to the parts store.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

1034 was replaced by 1157 some 50 years ago. 1157 is widely available, even in grocery stores. You shouldn't have the slightest problem finding them.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=1 ... mp=yhs-002
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

1157 is an industry standard number. All 1157s will have then same size base. My guess is that the diameter is correct, but the bulb is not tight because the contact plate at the base of the socket is corroded and stuck, This will prevent the contact plate from putting tension on the bulb there by locking into in place. The contact plate is spring loaded and needs to be able to move in and out a small amount.
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

1157 bulbs are also readily available on Amazon.com (as are the other sizes of bulbs, fuses, etc.)

:link: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... Caps%2C135

1157 bulbs have two filaments (two connectors on the bottom) and are grounded through the metal bulb case (bayonet connector) to the socket housing. They are used in both the front and rear. In the rear, the dim filament provides the taillight, and the bright filament provides both the brake stop light and the turn signal. In the front, they provide for driving lights (dim) and turn signals. Notice that the anchor pins (studs) are not at the same level from the bottom. This helps to ensure that the 1157 bulb only fits into the socket one way, so that the bright filament is properly connected to the stop and turn signal circuit.

ImageImage

The other bulbs used in the rear taillights are the backup lights. These are single filament 1156 bulbs.

ImageImage
1157 vs 1034 bulbs - never knew this

I thought I would post this as an FYI. I looked but didn't see any reference to these bulbs on the forum.

The rear lights on my '57 Chevy were 1157’s which I was quite familiar with.However, the bulbs I took out of the front parking/turn signal lights on the ’57 (I am pretty sure were never replaced); were 1034’s. I had never seen these before. I thought they were some really obsolete bulb which was replaced by the 1157. Both have dual filaments and both have identical sockets. Upon doing some research I found the 1034 hasa definite advantage to the 1157 in specific situations. I never knew this.What is key is the secondary filament and using your turn signals.

I found this clear explanation on eHow.

Difference Between 1034 & 1157 Car Bulbs

By David Sandoval, eHow Contributor

Automotive lamps burn out after a long period of use. Often, more than one bulb can serve as a replacement part for nearly any automotive lamp. For example, an 1157 automotive lamp is electrically compatible with a 1034 lamp. However, some notable differences between the two lamps may make one better than the other for your specific situation.

Primary Filament Operation at 12.8 Volts

The primary filament is used for normal marker-lamp (the rear light that comes on when you turn on your headlights) operation. The 1157 lamp can sustain 2.10 amps at 12.8 volts, and will last an average of 1,200 hours. The 1034 lamp can handle 1.80 amps at this voltage, and will last an average of 200 hours.

Secondary Filament Operation at 14 Volts

The secondary filament is used for turn signal operations. The 1157 lamp can sustain 590 milliamps of electrical current at 14 volts, and lasts an average of 3,000 hours. The 1034 lamp lasts an average of 5,000 hours under these conditions.

Considerations When Choosing Which to Install

Since both lamps are used as combination turn-signal and marker lamps, choose the lamp that suits your needs best. If you do a lot of daytime driving and require a long-lasting signal lamp, install the 1034 lamp. If you do a lot of nighttime driving, and do not need to use your turn signals often, choose the 1157 lamp.
http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread ... -knew-this
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Mr. Sandoval's analysis makes no sense to me. Loads don't "handle" applied current, they draw from the source what their resistance permits. He shows a short life for a 1034 and an odd operating voltage. None of it really adds up so I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

cnicol wrote:Mr. Sandoval's analysis makes no sense to me. Loads don't "handle" applied current, they draw from the source what their resistance permits. He shows a short life for a 1034 and an odd operating voltage. None of it really adds up so I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
I agree. Very strange.

On the topic of bulb availability, I find 1137a or even 1034a (if there is such a thing) hard to come by. Actually, that's not true, they're easy to get but they are very much yellow as opposed to the dark amber that they should be. I'm talking illuminated color not what the unlit glass looks like.
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Yes the 1157 vs 1034 bulb analysis is suspect. Things don't add up.

Anyway ---- 1157 specs. are easily found, but there is a rub. Typically bulb power is rated in Watts and that is basically volts X amperage. Of course as voltage increases so does the current (in a bulb). So it's important to know at what voltage wattage or amperage is calculated.

The "bright" or turn and stop filament is 26.9 Watts at 12.8VDC and 2.1 Amps - average life is 1,200 hours.
The "dim" or running/parking filament is 8.3 Watts at 12.8VDC and 0.648 Amps - average life is 5,000 hours.

Now keep in mind that with the engine running after staring a car the voltage can rise to 14.5VDC and then settle back to around 13VDC when the battery is fully charged.

FINALLY - the 1034 AND 1157 bulbs are both S-8 size and have the same wattage ratings with one EXCEPTION. The "dim" filament rating of the 1034 is calculated at 14VDC while the "bright" filament power rating is calculated at 12.8VDC. So in fact the 1034 "dim" filament uses a little less power vs. the 1157 (both 1157 filaments rated at 12.8VDC) even though the wattage for both is the same stated value.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

They only go in one way as the pins are offset.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”