Ignition 2 Conversion

All Models and Years
jmikulec

Ignition 2 Conversion

Post by jmikulec »

I am converting to the flamethrower system in my 65 monza 110. I made sure to get the 0.6 ohm flamethrower 2 coil @45,000 volts. What condenser would I need?
jmikulec

Re: Ignition 2 Conversion

Post by jmikulec »

And these systems run on the stock vacuum advance mechanisms right?
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

I have the stock vacuum advance. I don't think the condenser matters much. It's basically for reducing electrical noise on the rest of the car's electrical system; it keeps your radio from making engine sounds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

Would the stock condenser work fine?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The condenser in the distributor is, of course, no longer needed or present, since the electronic breakerless ignition replaced the points and condenser.
Basically the function of a condenser in a coil ignition circuit (inside the distributor) is to reduce the spark at the contact points as they open in the distributor and thus minimize burning and pitting of the points. Arcing is caused by the effect of self induction in the coil as the points interrupt the flow of current.

The ONLY thing that that outside condenser (on the side of the coil) is used for is to prevent radio interference from the ignition system. Without it you may hear popping or static that speeds up or slows down with your engine speed! It is part of the Radio Static Suppression system..
If you leave to condenser off of the coil circuit, and you don't hear any objectionable noise on your car audio system, then it is not needed with the new ignition system.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

Is the .6 ohm flamethrower the correct coil for the ignitor 2?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Yes, but that coil cannot be used in conjunction with normal ignition points. The high current flow in the primary on that coil would quickly destroy normal ignition points as they burned and arced with normal ignition points rapidly opening and closing to energize the high voltage coil. The solid-state transistor circuitry in the Ignitor 2 can handle this high current switching without damage.

The high voltage, high current coil is really "overkill" in a Corvair. The relatively low RPM and low compression ratio of the Corvair engine does not need such a powerful spark capacity to properly ignite the fuel-air mixture in the Corvair combustion chamber. The breakerless ignition system provided by the Pertronix system (magnetic pulse switching) or in the Crane Cams system (optical trigger switching), or in the Stinger Ignition System offered by Performance Corvairs http://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/ (magnetic pulse) all provide increased reliability and increased accurate precision control of any ignition coil. Any standard ignition coil can be used with these ignition products.

Be sure to follow the manufacturer's installation and wiring instructions. If you have any questions please ask here on the Corvair Forum or contact the manufacturer's technical support.
66vairguy wrote:Petronix I, use only Flamethrower I (1.5 ohm coil or even better use the stock 1.2 ohm coil, note there is a 3.0 ohm Flamethrower I coil that is not to be used in a Corvair) WITH the stock resistance wire (ballast) 1.8 ohm to the coil "+" terminal. The Petronix POWER wire should go to key switched voltage (battery or alternator voltage), although many connect the POWER wire to coil "+" terminal which works in warmer climates, but is not recommended.

Petronix II, designed for Flamethrower II coil 0.5 ohm, but reportedly works with Flamethrower I or stock coil. Petronix II has a known problem at low RPM when a PG Corvair is in drive. The Petronix II and Flamethrower II coil works best if the the stock resistance wire (ballast) is removed/by-passed with a non resistance wire.
See some additional information in the following post...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=11816
Brad Bodie
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

You said pertronix 2 is bad for a powerglide in low rpm? That's the tranny I have.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

jmikulec wrote:You said pertronix 2 is bad for a powerglide in low rpm? That's the tranny I have.
True story. The Pertronix Ignitor 2, 6 cylinder model, loses sync at low rpm, which usually kills the engine. Pertronix-1, a 1.5-ohm FlameThrower coil and the stock resistor wire is the setup for an automatic transmission Corvair.

If your car's engine doesn't idle slow (normal idle for a Corvair PG is slow) the P2 might work.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

terribleted wrote:...I love my Crane ignitions. I have only ever seen one that had failed. Something I can not say about the Pertronix units where failure is somewhat common from what I have seen.

Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up. Full time restoration tech and mechanic. https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration
I have preferred the Crane Cams (optical trigger) electronic ignition system over the Pertronix products, but with the introduction of the new Stinger distributor from Performance Corvair I find that the complete modern distributor system replacement offers a more-complete and unworn new product that is very cost-effective as well.

:link: http://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/
Brad Bodie
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

jmikulec - First keep in mind that no matter what electronic system you use - if it fits in the old Corvair distributor you really should check the distributor for worn parts (especially the bushing). While an electronic setup is more tolerant of wear than points --- it won't compensate for a worn out distributor. Also don't worry about the old claim - "If you leave the key on the Petronix I will fail". That only happens when folks leave the key "ON" with the engine not running for a long time. BTW even with points you should not leave the key "ON" without the engine running - the coil can overheat if the points are closed.

Second - the Petronix II is not recommended for the PG cars that should idle at about 600 RPM in drive.

Third - The nice thing about the Petronix I system is if it fails on the road you just take it out and put the old points plate back in and that will get you home in a pinch. (The Petronix II system requires by-passing the ballast resistor wire so you can't run points since they will fail in a relatively short time).

While I haven't used the Crane setup, it has been used by many over the years and has a good reputation.
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

I think I will just go with the stinger since it offers a brand new distributor with cap and everything for only $180
va3rjs

Post by va3rjs »

Too bad this thread didn't start sooner :)

I just upgraded to Ignighter II and flame thrower Coil......... Car seems to run fine....idle not the best but it seems like carb adjustment........again maybe not:)

My brother says it sound like a lawn tractor at idle...... I attribute it to the dual exhaust conversion that was done by someone before me......
Bob
66 Monza 2dr Converible, Automatic, (95 HP)
Marina blue, White Top, Black and White Interior
65 CORSA turbo - being restored
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

va3rjs wrote:Too bad this thread didn't start sooner :)

I just upgraded to Ignighter II and flame thrower Coil......... Car seems to run fine....idle not the best but it seems like carb adjustment........again maybe not:)

My brother says it sound like a lawn tractor at idle...... I attribute it to the dual exhaust conversion that was done by someone before me......

Only firing every other cylinder at idle with a Petronix II in a PG car at low RPM is a commonly reported problem - probably why the idle sounds odd.

Frankly I never recommend a Petronix II and Flamethrower coil in a Corvair. Except with for the Turbo engine, the Petronix I and stock coil offer more than adequate firing voltage for the normally aspirated Corvair engine.
Bill MC

Post by Bill MC »

you will not regret the stinger distributor. Also get the coil Seth offers....My setup is fantastic
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

I just got my stinger ignition today and when I spin the rotor with my hand, it hits the cap. It looks like the rotor tip is bent down like someone dropped it. Is that how the tip should be? I thought it should be pointing straight out not bent down.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”