Spark plug removal issues

All Models and Years
sailadams

Re: Spark plug removal issues

Post by sailadams »

Randy. You're supposed to be collecting seats and shipping them, not helping other forum members with Corvair stuff. Harr.
1966 Monza coupe, 1967 Buick Special Deluxe hardtop coupe, 1967 MGB GT, 1976 MGB roadster, Kurzweil PC3, Martin 0 custom, Martin 00 Tweedie, Larrivee OMV-9, 1996 Parker Deluxe
va3rjs

Post by va3rjs »

Just had an aha moment......... FedEx just delivered my box of tune up parts.....decided to go for broke and do the entire ignition system coil to plugs..........

In looking at the plugs that came from Clarks as part of my delux upgrade it I saw,the plugs were BP5HS which seems cool, the real aha is that when I compared the new plugs to the ones I took out, I noticed the old R44XLS plug barrel is 1/4 of an inche longer than the BP5HS.......so I assume based on the pictures I have seen that probably put threads into the combustion chamber and they got all carboned up......and made for the hard extraction......

I will update how it runs after the tuneup......I decided to go electronics in the distributed as well.....

Thanks
Bob
Bob
66 Monza 2dr Converible, Automatic, (95 HP)
Marina blue, White Top, Black and White Interior
65 CORSA turbo - being restored
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

sailadams wrote:Randy. You're supposed to be collecting seats and shipping them, not helping other forum members with Corvair stuff. Harr.
Yanking seats is work...yabberin about plugs can be done from a comfy chair w A/C!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

va3rjs wrote:Just had an aha moment......... FedEx just delivered my box of tune up parts.....decided to go for broke and do the entire ignition system coil to plugs..........

In looking at the plugs that came from Clarks as part of my delux upgrade it I saw,the plugs were BP5HS which seems cool, the real aha is that when I compared the new plugs to the ones I took out, I noticed the old R44XLS plug barrel is 1/4 of an inche longer than the BP5HS.......so I assume based on the pictures I have seen that probably put threads into the combustion chamber and they got all carboned up......and made for the hard extraction......

I will update how it runs after the tuneup......I decided to go electronics in the distributed as well.....

Thanks
Bob
You must have missed my reply on the first page of this thread.
Postby 64powerglide » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:35 pm
The 44 XLS were probably put in because it burned oil & was fouling out the plugs. A longer plug thread length will not foul out as fast. What you have is carbon or burned oil on the threads making them hard to remove. Keep the PB Blaster/WD - 40 coming, don't go to fast. What does the engine number say? It's right behind the oil filler tube. My owners guide says AC-46 for the Turbo-Air 95 HP& AC-44 for the Super Turbo-Air 110 HP & the Turbocharged 150 HP.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
va3rjs

Post by va3rjs »

Yes I did see that but until I actually saw the plugs side by side I did not realize what I was being told..... I think I was stuck on the R44FF vs the R44F and replacement plugs having 1 thread less.........

I am surprised that a plug that was 1/4 of an inche longer does not have clearance issues in the cylinder.... but obviously it does not.....

Another lesson learned......

If you do use a long plug like this to solve a fouling problem how often do you need to pull them to prevent this carbon issue.....seems to me that it is a very poor solution to the problem......I think I would rather clean or replace plugs on a regular basis than run the risk of damaging a head. But that is just me!

I will run for a while and see just how long it takes to foul the plugs .... maybe there is an engine rebuild in my near future.

thanks everyone for all the great input and free education!

Bob
Bob
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Never seen them used in a Corvair, just cast iron block engines. So it looks like you'll be back on the road soon :tu:

Kalamazoo, Mi..
va3rjs

Post by va3rjs »

Well I gave up after trying to remove 2 plugs.....I had 50/50 success ..... One plug went back in and held 10 ft lbs of torque......the other not good......I could spin it for ever with my fingers..... At that point I call CAA and sent it off to my local trusted mechanic ( this guy had Corvairs so I don't feel too bad).... I did not feel like sourcing all the tools to do heli coils, or time Serts or what ever..... So I figured they could just take out the plugs and fix whichever ones strip....... Should be back on the road tomorrow.....I hope

Bob
Bob
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

Well that is a ding dang bummer for sure

Spark plugs ....Going in or out are not supposed to be such a catastrophic event
va3rjs

Post by va3rjs »

True that...... We will see just how bad it is on Tuesday.

I was thinking of looking for another engine.....are all the engines compatible with the trans axle? At least from the same year?

Just thinking out loud!

B
Bob
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The engines are pretty much cross compatible for all years 61-69 anyway. There are differences in the bellhousing between powerglide and stick shift cars (you should have the proper bellhousing on your motor). There must be a bushing installed in the front of the crankshaft for stick cars and no bushing for Glides (easily remedied). You will need all the sheet metal from your existing motor if the engine you buy is an early model. They also use different rear engine mount bracket for early and late (again you should have what you need already for that). Best choices are late model motors IMO due to the larger displacement and improved carburation. I like 64 or later non-smog 110HP motors for fun and reliability. I like 140HP 4 carbs motors to be cool and run a bit faster....more carbs to have issues.....prone to dropped valve seats....the kick in the butt when the secondary's open is kinda cool tho:) 64 models are a bit unique the cylinders are 64 only and they use the later block and earlier head designs, but, are 164CI and otherwise essentially the same as the 65 on motors. Earlier motors 61-63 are 145CI and lower HP. They would be fine also but not as desirable to me as the later motors.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

There are also some variations in the rear engine mount bracket, as shown below. The original bracket was very close to the crankshaft pulley. When the crankshaft pulley changed to a harmonic balancer in 1964, the added thickness of the harmonic balancer was so close to the bracket that a fan belt could not be mounted. The shape of the engine mount bracket was changed to provide for more clearance. This new shape was retained in the new two-hole design introduced in 1965. The added clearance was also needed for air conditioning or smog pump crankshaft pulleys.
Corvair Rear Engine Mount Brackets.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
sailadams

Post by sailadams »

er-mine wrote:
sailadams wrote:Randy. You're supposed to be collecting seats and shipping them, not helping other forum members with Corvair stuff. Harr.
Yanking seats is work...yabberin about plugs can be done from a comfy chair w A/C!
I know that's a fact. Hope the thread starter doesn't mind some light-hearted hoo-haw in the midst of the serious stuff.

I have broken a few plugs (and bolts) recently trying to get them out of Buick 215 aluminum blocks, so I have a passing interest in this discussion, too.
1966 Monza coupe, 1967 Buick Special Deluxe hardtop coupe, 1967 MGB GT, 1976 MGB roadster, Kurzweil PC3, Martin 0 custom, Martin 00 Tweedie, Larrivee OMV-9, 1996 Parker Deluxe
va3rjs

Post by va3rjs »

Always need to keep a sense of humour ..... No fun if it is business all the time !

So to close this thread out ..... Just got my car back, complete new ignition system, runs good now , only needed one heli coil!

Some had asked to see the plugs that came out to see how it is running....... I am surprised the difference 15 hp makes......I had a 110 this is a 95 hp........ Need to check compression once I have had a chance to drive this for a while!
image.jpeg

Once again thanks to everyone that took,the time to reply....I appreciate all the support.

Bob
Bob
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

several lookin kinda lean....uh oh...best take the new ones out for a plug reading! lol
va3rjs

Post by va3rjs »

Ya like that is going to happen in the near future after this experience......maybe in the spring when it is time to wake,the bear from its winter sleep.......be snowing here soon.....a lot of the cruise nights around here are winding down already:(

Started this too late.....maybe by spring I will have a new engine built.....ha ha.
Bob
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

va3rjs wrote:Ya like that is going to happen in the near future after this experience......maybe in the spring when it is time to wake,the bear from its winter sleep.......be snowing here soon.....a lot of the cruise nights around here are winding down already:(

Started this too late.....maybe by spring I will have a new engine built.....ha ha.
Cmon man, you have to take her out for a snow drive at least once.
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”