Rockers getting stuck

All Models and Years
jmikulec

Rockers getting stuck

Post by jmikulec »

I have had this problem be for with my 65 monza 110. Last time, one of the rocker balls got stuck in the rocker and started making this huge whipping sound with nearly no power at all. I am now starting to hear it again in the cold mornings. Can I convert to roller rockers? Or should I just get all new original rockers?
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Rockers getting stuck

Post by azdave »

Converting to roller rockers is not always an easy conversion. I would be worried about why your's are locking up. Do you have insufficient oil coming up the pushrods? That could cause a roller rocker to lock up too so it might be best to confirm good lubrication first and then just replace the bad rockers with new. No reason they should be failing again.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

Yea, I made sure they are getting lubricated but they look very warn out.
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

sounds like the engine has other problems.........the stock rockers are a result.....not the cause.

stock rockers will go 70k miles - no problem. somethings wrong w/your engine & that needs to be fixed before you do something else like install more rockers.

how do you know the rockers are getting lubricated?

did anyone work on the engine & maybe put the pushrods in wrong/upside down? theres a oil hole on the end/side of the pushrod & this has to be next to the rocker.

-Scott V.
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

I had them out to clean them and put them in so that the little hole squirts oil on the rocker while running.
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

I think that someone we abusing it pretty badly before I got it. There's nothing left on the rocker that froze up. This car does have 72,000 miles.
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

They may have rpm'd it because I found a few bent push rods.
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

If it was my engine, I would remove each of the rockers, one at a time, so you don't mix the parts up. Inspect the balls for galling, pitting and wear. Inspect the rockers for galling, pitting, and wear in the pocket. Also inspect the pocket, top and bottom for cracks. Check the rocker tip, the valve end for excessive wear. There will probably be some wear in that area. A shallow smooth edged cupping is to be expected. Sharp edges are a reject. Double check the push rod installation and make sure the oil passages are clear.
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”