Wiper switch gone crazy….

All Models and Years
TheCommish

Wiper switch gone crazy….

Post by TheCommish »

Attachments
Wiper contacts.JPG
wiper motor wiring.JPG
Last edited by TheCommish on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
66vairguy

Re: Wiper switch gone crazy….

Post by 66vairguy »

A VERY COMMON problem. The wipers have a "PARK" function - meaning when you turn off the switch the wiper motor stays on until the wipers are seated at the bottom. To do this power goes to the wiper motor AND THEN to the wiper switch that GROUNDS the wiper motor when you go to LO or HI. When off the switch presents an open circuit (no ground) so the wiper motor will not run AFTER it goes to the PARK position.

So --- your problem is the wiper switch is not grounding until you push on the button (or knob). It can be two things. Most common is the back of the dash is corroded and the switch case is not grounded or the switch case nut is loose so you have a poor connection (there is a big serrated washer between the case and dash metal that cuts into the metal when installed at the factory). Second - the internal switch contacts are bad or the rear circuit board has come loose - again pressing on the switch makes it work.

You can try taking off the bezel and tightening the nut (LM - I think the EM works the same). If that fails then the wiper switch needs to be removed. You'll notice a brass rivet with NO contact on it - that is the part that needs a ground via a mechanical connection in the switch to the case. Many just solder a wire on that rivet and run it to the body ground to avoid the connection issue to the dash frame - assuming the switch is good. I have removed the circuit board and cleaned and repaired contacts, but it's a difficult job and I believe Clark's sells new wiper switches.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

Help with motor wiring
Attachments
wiper motor wiring.JPG
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

My cheap camera/phone doesn't show the colors very good but looking at yours the wire with the yellow goes to the left side & the other goes to the right. Meaning left side of the car & the right side of the car.
Attachments
8-22-16 003.jpg
8-22-16 001.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

Thanks jeff, I got it now.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”