Dave Motohead Video

All Models and Years
Freejax

Dave Motohead Video

Post by Freejax »

Hey guys I am having trouble starting my engine out of the car, I have watched Daves video on how to start it out of the car. The Ballast resistor is heating up, one has melted down. I have power going to the resistor but when I turn it over when testing on the other side of the resistor it is flashing during turn over going towards the coil. Everything is hooked up the same in the video, the ballast resistor I got is a 0.8 ohm MSD ignition, any help would be appreciated.
100_3686.jpg
100_3687.jpg
Happy Building all!
b74eqcm

Re: Dave Motohead Video

Post by b74eqcm »

The green wire on the negative side of the coil should to to the points in the distributor, not to ground. The resister is overheating because you're shorting it out.
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Indeed the "-" coil goes to the points (in the distributor) and the "+" side goes to ballast.

You have the wrong ballast resistor!!!! It should be 1.8 ohms NOT 0.8 ohms. Coil is typically 1.2 ohms for a TOTAL resistance of about 3 ohms.

There are MANY different ballast resistance values. If you can't find the correct one then I can go find my old list later, but now I have to run.
Freejax

Post by Freejax »

Thanks for the reply guys, my mistake. I am wondering if you guys know where I could get the proper resistor from?
Thanks again.
Happy Building all!
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

NAPA has a 1.82 ohm resistor in the Echlin line. Part number ICR13. I am sure others also list one
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

NAPA #ICR35 is 1.80 ohms.

AutoZone DR797 is 1.80 ohms.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”