brand new corvair owner needs advice

All Models and Years
laotsu42

brand new corvair owner needs advice

Post by laotsu42 »

i have a 63 two door coupe forgive me for any ignorance i haven't owned a car in ten years as i usually ride my bicycle every where ... but since having a knee surgery i needed a card ... so i bought one worth having from my friend it is in great shape and has run great so far but yesterday the temp pres light refused to go off... i checked the oil and it is full i did find some loose wires in the engine compartment on the right side a blue and a yellow coming from the back wall of the compartment and a black one from the front ... when i start it it runs and if i push the gas pedal the light dims even goes off for a second ... any idea ... i cant seem to find a diagram of the motor i need to id where the wires go .... and can i down load a manual for it anywhere ...

this is transport right now until i can ride my bike again ...
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: brand new corvair owner needs advice

Post by Scott H »

Here's a wiring diagram for the '63.
Attachments
1963 wiring.jpg
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I replied in the other post but here's a brief hazy description. When you turn the key on voltage goes thru the idiot light on the dash and the it continues back to the OP sender and the temp sender. The sender is actually just a snap switch and as long as there is pressure the switch cannot ground itself. As long as it cannot ground the circuit is not completed and the light will be off.

If the pressure drops the switch completes the circuit and the light comes on.

The temp sender/switch works basically the same way. The wires to the two senders are merely spliced together to make a wye.

Before you spend to much time on wires you should confirm that you have oil pressure.

If you remove the wire from the sender the light should go out.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
The Mollusk

Post by The Mollusk »

Dude- Cars previous owner here....
Sorry - Life is crazy.... Can you post a pic here and we can figure it out....
Or else maybe I can come up and look at it soon.
The Mollusk

Post by The Mollusk »

SO I was thinking - it seriously sounds like the bulbs/plugs got switched in the dash so the gen/fan is sitting behind the temp press lens (they tend to fall out easily on the spyder dash). Cause that sure sounds like an alternator issue. Check the plug going into it and the junction block (ahead of the battery) on your car. It has a S-10 juntion block. All the wiring in the engine compartment was brand new reproduction recently.
laotsu42

Post by laotsu42 »

The Mollusk wrote:SO I was thinking - it seriously sounds like the bulbs/plugs got switched in the dash so the gen/fan is sitting behind the temp press lens (they tend to fall out easily on the spyder dash). Cause that sure sounds like an alternator issue. Check the plug going into it and the junction block (ahead of the battery) on your car. It has a S-10 juntion block. All the wiring in the engine compartment was brand new reproduction recently.

cool thanks dude .... hope things are improving .... gotta figure the brake pads today too ... argh drum brake ... :) oh well we shall see ...

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”