Noob engine question

All Models and Years
StigNasty

Noob engine question

Post by StigNasty »

Hi everyone,

After much deliberation, my son and I have decided that a Corvair would be the car for us to work on together as a project.

I'm in Southern Alberta, and there are very limited choices. The best one that we have found is a '66 that has an empty space where the engine should be. The only others that we have found (that aren't already fully restored) within 500 miles are not running at all.

My question is, what kind of options and possibilities do we have in finding an engine? Like I said, I'm a total Corvair virgin. Please be gentle.
StigNasty

Re: Noob engine question

Post by StigNasty »

I just did a search and see there's a 1961 Chev Corvair 95 Loadside Motor for sale 200km from here. Would that be compatible in a '66?

Apologies in advance if that's a dumb question.
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Personally I'd take one with non-running engines and do a rebuild. I buy most of my parts from http://www.corvair.com i.e. Clark's

They are the best projects ever! This forum I can already tell will be helpful.. I'm going to start a front-end repair soon! :chevy:

Not a dumb question on the 61 engine. Answer is I think they they will fit fine although I've never worked on an Early (60 - 64) engine or car. I'd try to get a 65 - 69 engine for a 65 - 69 car though.

Question is on the one with the hole for the engine... does it have the trans and diff too?
1966 Corsa Coupe
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

No such thing as a dumb question, that what this is for.

The Corvair is a great car for a project. Not expensive and oozing with STYLE! :tu:

I am generalizing a bit here but all the Corvair engines are "basically" interchangeable. The truck and wagon blocks have the oil filler and dipstick in a different location. The 60 to 63 motors are shorter stroke on the crank so they are smaller displacement. They can all be made into whatever you want though with a little work.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
JohnnyCorvair

Post by JohnnyCorvair »

If the non engined Corvair really is the car for you, I would also be looking for a non running car thats complete to use for the engine and parts. They are relatively cheap and spare parts are always easy to resell.
1962 Monza 900 Coupe
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I would stick with the late model 164 CID .

You then have a choice between 95 -110 - 140 and 180 HP (turbo).

What are you going to do with the car ?

A Sunday driver might be ok with 95 hp but if you are a spirited driver you want at least the 110 and I prefer the 4 carb 140hp.

Turbos are "Cheatin"

Like was already said- you might want to buy one with a motor in it already so you have the core parts to start with.

Otherwise you will have to buy a complete motor or parts car.

Clarks is great but I'd check out some of our forum sponsers too.
Attachments
Lex conv 183.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
ron l

Post by ron l »

StigNasty wrote:The best one that we have found is a '66 that has an empty space where the engine should be. .
Did you look in the back? lol

In a hurry? Corvairs aren't that expensive, and you could be well ahead of the game if you wait for the right deal on a complete running car. I'm glad I did. I used to have a 67 Mustang that took me years and years to work on and never quite finished. Then I sold it and bought a complete Corvair. Besides needing basic maintenance items and block sand for new paint there's nothing left to do but drive it!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”