Counter Shaft Seal?

All Models and Years
64powerglide

Re: Counter Shaft Seal?

Post by 64powerglide »

What are the CX4457's, can't find them in Clark's then my eyes ain't what they used to be. Snow here high tomorrow 15.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

OK I found them rear pump drive pins.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Yeah, they were even hard to find when i called Clark's the other day.
john is the transmission guy for Clark's. Had to speak to him. He doesn't give more info than you need and sort of have to pull stuff from him but he pointed out it would be smart to replace them if they were beaten up like mine. He found the number and I ordered them.
Look into it!
I replaced about 50% of hard parts in tranny so, like I said, I should be good to go...
i rode the harley today in short sleeves...
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I don't mess with the motorcycles, I worked for a guy for 27 years & he & his trailered his new Harley to Texas to visit his dad at his winter home & went for a Sunday morning ride & got hit be a 79 Chrysler head on, guy crossed the center line. Killed them both in the blink of an eye. Both in their early 50's. Plated lots of Harley parts when I worked at my dads plating shop.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Now that I think about it that couple were killed Feb. 13, 2005 in Rio Grande City, Texas.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Are you suggesting serendipity with the date? I am 48 so i have a couple of years till the 50's....
but i have to say-and you have to agree-lucky them! pretty clean, none of the long drawn out bullshit that comes with conventional dying.....Clean break, and that's that. May seem callus but i think you know what I mean.
I don't trailor. My bike has 186K on it. Runs great (dad and I built it)! nothing like American tractors. I saw a couple of tractors in Mich.
If you can believe it my dad was a transmission man. The best. I never learned but I know what clean means.....that is the extent of my transmission experience-KEEP IT CLEAN!
I remember back when i was in MI if you drove a foreign car you were in trouble. Apparently times have changed. the state has seen alot of transition and troubles but I know the people are cool.
I had a buddy with a 73 corvette-Rag Top on that! We went to Crystal Lake or the Gravel Pits, Something like that.....The beer was cold and the girls were willing. What a great time.
Had another girl friend out in Edenmore, went to Cadillac lake with her family for the Fourth of July.
Great Times!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I wasn't thinking about them until you mentioned driving your Harley, then I looked to see what day they died & it was the 13th. which is today. I guess if it's time to go that's a quick way. Sad though when people work hard & build a new 6,000 Sq. Ft. log home & have it made then bang they die. I don't know what 2005 model Harley he bought but his son got his old one, 1982 Low Rider. Sweet bike!!!!!! I restored a 1965 Triumph Spitfire Roadster & drove it 10 years & sold it to get a Corvair, had a new 62 Monza 4 speed when I was 18.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Ok well the transmission is done and should be going in in the next couple of days. My tranny man says its a hard job to adjust the shifter cable in the transmission.
Any insight would be appreciated...
Dave
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

When I had mine out last year the shift cable went right in & hooked the first try. I think it says to pull the lever down then insert the cable then turn the lever up, it's a fork that hooks the cable ball. When you put it in turn the lever up & pull on the cable & if you cannot pull it out your good to go. I'm almost ready to take mine to the tranny shop but I just dropped a socket in the fan. :eek: I think I can see it so I hope I can hook it, I broke the magnet off my wire so unless I go get another magnet I have to try snagging it with just the copper wire. :banghead:

Kalamazoo, Mi..
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

One time I had a rag get sucked right down while it was running....why don't you attach a coat hanger to the magnet and fish it out that way, at least you can see it.

Regrading the cable; he said there was an adjustment that can be difficult so it shifts at the right time and kicks down at the right time. i have never seen any posts on the issue so he might be wrong. He was saying you have to remove the pan to adjust it.....and then you have to keep doing it. draining the oil again and again to get it right.
Ever heard of such a thing? He said he left the adjustment as it came out....but you had no problem with this?
i got the transmission to the other mechanics who are going to install it, yesterday morning. I haven't heard anything. i don't know. I don't feel I should bother them because they may seem like i am rushing them and the car has been sitting in their garage for three weeks waiting on parts........
Dave
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Got the magnet fixed and got the socket out. I have a Clark's specialty catalog and in the tech section page 16 it says the throttle valve adjustment is incorrect if it has harsh shift. I assume you just adjust the carb to trans throttle valve rod. Maybe a little help here?????? I pulled the diffy & trans together today & am going the the trans guy Thursday. I'll see what he says for a price first, Clark's has a rebuilt for $700.00 after the core return. :pray: The guy did my 1980 motorhome trans in 2007, a Ford C-6 $300 plus in parts a $640 in labor & the powerglide is a bench job so it shouldn't be to bad. Not as much labor as the motorhome anyway. :sad5:

Kalamazoo, Mi..
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Sounds like you are making progress.
yes I have that page also. I talked to them today and I am going to drop it off this afternoon.
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Some insight would be good...It seems like its just you and I left standing on this thread.....
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I ran into a snag today, the guy I talked to looked at the tranny this morning & it wasn't what he thought. He called a friend who worked on Corvairs years ago who he thought had retired but he is still doing old cars only part time so i'll check it out & see what he has to say. I'm beginning to think a Clark's rebuilt might be the answer but I'm puzzled about the fluid leaking from the bell housing. I ain't to good at that there book learning stuff. :doh: Me & my wallet ain't in a big hurry. :eek:

Kalamazoo, Mi..
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

I am enjoying lurking :drool:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Thanks for reading Cad. nice lights in your trunk, where did you wire to and couldn't you have put a trunk lid switch?
and i guess you don't know pg's because you have a four speed. So thats ok...

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”