Counter Shaft Seal?

All Models and Years
NMVair

Counter Shaft Seal?

Post by NMVair »

I don't know where i am supposed to post this so Ill just create a new thread.
In any case. On the torque converter end of the counter shaft in the Powerglide there is a lip inside the hole. If you put your finger in there you can feel a lip that suggest a bushing or something should have been in there. Just wondering if anyone has noticed this and has an idea. Thanks Dave
64powerglide

Re: Counter Shaft Seal?

Post by 64powerglide »

I think is the turbine shaft?? It does a seal on each end, which when I had mine apart last year I didn't put seals in & it's been leaking. I hope it's the seals. I should have my drive train out Saturday, only have the shift cable, gas line & mount bolts to go.
Take a look at the exploded view at the bottom of the page.
http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvana ... rns-64.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps you.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Ok now i am confused its the biggest shaft, the stater shaft or the input shaft. that i think houses the turbine shaft. So it would go inside the outer shaft and house the turbine shaft. Between those there is a lip or rather an edge about an inch back on the inside and it is that shaft that houses the smaller shaft. Well the smaller shaft is burned but not worn. There is no bushing or seal present when we took it apart and cannot make heads or tails of the exploded view if there is supposed to be one.
As far as your pinon shaft not having seals I don't know man would it leak? or not keep pressure? I am not a tranny man.
I am just trying to order the right parts to complete rebuild.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I looked it up on Clark's to order the seals & they call the bigger shaft the Turbine Shaft # C - 1869, two needed. The inner shaft is the pump shaft I think. I can redo a standard shift but I don't know crap about automatics.
Here is the link to Clark's page, it's number 35. The turbine shaft is also called the input shaft.
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think I have this correct, maybe we'll get some help. That other link that had the exploded view has number' 35, 36 & 37 as being 2 bushings & the turbine shaft which is number 36. The other shaft, number 60 says front pump shaft which goes through the turbine shaft.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

yeah, what we need are better pictures. That pump shaft and the star washer on the end is a little tricky to come by but I got one from jeff at Corvair ranch for like thirty bucks, complete. the reason I say this is because they are typically worn so you may need one.
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Hows it look?
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I am not sure without pictures exactly what you are looking for, but I am guessing it is the Pinion Shaft Seal. I have attached a picture, from mine let me know if this is what you are talking about. The Torque converter slides over the whole set up and the Pinion Shaft seal seals the differential around the torque converter. The torque converter has a bushing inside it that rides on the outside of the pinion shaft.

Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Thanks Wbabst! Great picture by the way.
What I am referring to is inside the pinon shaft. Inside there is a ridge where it feels like something (like a seal or bushing) should go. There is also a bit of play exhibited by the turbine shaft inside the pinon shaft that seems like it would or could be cleaned up if something were in there. But maybe all of this goes away when the torque converter is assembled. To ad to the issue the end of the turbine shaft is discolored and almost looks as if it got hot.....(at this point we are assuming nothing goes in there)
Thanks for your input.
I also have a question about pump or piston seal but I want to get the words right....apparently a different type of seal was supplied in kit than is currently in the tranny. he was wondering if this new seal is cool to use...
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

I think it is the reverse piston seal. It is a different type supplied in the kit than the one in the transmission. IS THIS COOL TO USE?
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

I can't get a hold of him. I think it is a lip seal currently in the transmission and the one that was supplied was a flange seal? I think? I forget but am trying to remember what he said.
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

or has anyone used a rebuild kit from AutoTran?
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Got my power pack out yesterday. Last year I had it out but didn't put the new bushings in, Clark's part C-1869. In the photo wbabst posted the seal he has that says pinion shaft seal is the torque converter hub seal. There are only two shafts, the outer one is the turbine shaft then the front pump shaft goes through the turbine shaft. I have not taken the trans off yet, I am going to talk to a transmission shop here that's been in business since the early 60's & probably have them go over it. The only problem I have is fluid leaking out the from the bell housing.
Attachments
IMG_20160207_0001.pdf
(687.05 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Kalamazoo, Mi..
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I Stand Corrected the seal in my picture is not the pinion shaft seal as I have labeled, it is the Converter Hub Seal. The seal you feel down in side it is the Pinion Shaft Rear Oil Seal (#37 on the picture). I did not change it, because I did not pull the differential apart. This seal is not present in the manual transmission differentials. I only changed my gaskets and the seals for the U-Joint Assemblies on each side.

I have also adjusted my picture to be more accurate.

Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Let's hope it is an easy fix. Mine is going together this week. That is if the parts arrive on time. here's to ya! :tu:
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Uhg! kind of frustrating, Wbabst.
I don't feel a seal in there. there is no seal.
That's the nature of my question. It just feels like there should be a seal. That is what I am asking.
Inside the stator shaft there is a ridge. That's it no seal.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I 'm not sure what drives the governer? I was thinking it was the larger gear on the inner front pump shaft. Correct me if i'm wrong. Browsing in my pole barn & found 2 new pinion unit "AKA turbine shaft" seals # 3363. No wonder it leaks. :banghead:
I'll have my turbine shaft bushings Wednesday & i'll post a photo of them.

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”