LM axle u-joint ---- what is the max angles

All Models and Years
V6corvair

LM axle u-joint ---- what is the max angles

Post by V6corvair »

I there guys n gals, I am new to the board and trying to get some info on lowering my 66 .
I would like to know the limits on running close to the max angle and what is that angle ?
If anyone has experience with this please don't shy .
Thank Doug.
91blaze

Re: LM axle u-joint ---- what is the max angles

Post by 91blaze »

How low are you intending to go with it? I have never heard of any issues with the u-joints when lowering. I think you would bottom out the suspension before maxing the u-joints.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
V6corvair

Post by V6corvair »

It is not so much about how low, well this about lowering my transaxle to get a lower center of G and in doing that
By an inch or two , effectively changes the angle and to some degree the amount of suspension travel.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

You should know these cars have a very low center of gravity. As they sit stock the engine hangs quite low and is typically the lowest part of the car. I am actually considering raising the trans and engine when I lower the car so the exhaust doesn't scrape. Is there a specific reason why you are doing this? Even the racers don't do that as far as I know.

Maybe not quite understanding what you want to do. Are you wanting to lower just the transaxle or the whole car? If you are only lowering the car a few inches you should have have no problem.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
V6corvair

Post by V6corvair »

Thanks for your input, I my opening question I should have been more clear on my plan, it is to install a transaxle
Out of a Buick Riv. Front wheel drive 85 T Type driven with Turbo v6. In a plan to to keep the assembly low in the
Engine compartment and keep the intake from being too high . As you see with this project it is a hybrid . I have not
Seen this done on any other forums so it is new engineering to accomplish this. I am up to the challenge . As I was
Saying , getting some info on u-joint angles or folks with some experience with increasing the angle would help .
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Oh, well that makes sense haha. All I know is the less angle you have the better. Once you start getting more of an angle you run the risk of damage.

I did some looking around and it seems u-joints typically have a max angle of about 10 degrees. For every 10 degrees more you halve the lifespan of the joint. Keep it under 10 and you should be fine. Good luck with your project and keep us updated. I'm thinking about doing something similar in the future too when my funds allow.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

V6corvair wrote:I should have been more clear on my plan, it is to install a transaxle
Out of a Buick Riv. Front wheel drive 85 T Type driven with Turbo v6. In a plan to to keep the assembly low in the
Engine compartment and keep the intake from being too high . As you see with this project it is a hybrid . I have not
Seen this done on any other forums so it is new engineering to accomplish this.
I can think of several V6 FWD swaps into a Corvair. Two use a supercharged 3800. "Vairking" and Supercharged3800Vair" on Corvaircenter are two of them. You might look to them for tips.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
V6corvair

Post by V6corvair »

Thanks for the info , gotta get back to the shop , I here the Corvair gods calling , it is the season not to be a couch
Potato , much work to be done !
notched

Post by notched »

Thats a great powertrain there. 325 4L transaxle. Your swap would be similar to what people do with the Toronado/Eldorado swaps.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Vintage Werks

Post by Vintage Werks »

I have a 66 and have had this in the back of my mind for a long time I just recently found a 85 Riviera T Type for the donor and would like to talk with you if possible. Have you made any progress with your Riviera v6 conversion?
jaymaechtlen

Post by jaymaechtlen »

The other 3.8 swaps are transverse setups, and I see the '85 is a longitudinal setup like the earlier Rivieras.
That will affect things a bit.
Is the project still alive?
'61 2dr, custom fiberglass skin, transverse mid-engine - Buick 3800 supercharged V6 - hauls!
4-speed, auto trans
V6corvair

Post by V6corvair »

jaymaechtlen wrote:The other 3.8 swaps are transverse setups, and I see the '85 is a longitudinal setup like the earlier Rivieras.
That will affect things a bit.
Is the project still alive?

Hi Jay, it has been awhile , on this site, we met at the FBT ,and yes the project is moving forward and sometimes slowly but still alive with new ideas and changes to the design along the way, as I guess any build from scratch project moves forward . Jay I think you know about that with your custom 3.8 Corvair . I am doing the cooling system, and opening up the front below the front bumper for air intake and enclosing the discharge to the bottom in front of the gas tank. I ran the cooling lines through the lower rails in order to keep the center plenum in place for a future install of a H2O heater (winters are cool in the Northwest) . The rear 4 link plus the trailing arm suspension is mostly complete. I have the Buick 3.8 engine on the stand ready for assembly. Once assembled and installed the fun begins with the wiring , and CPU and related sensors to hookup. Building the exhaust system to plumb up the turbo is also ahead of me to do.

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
jaymaechtlen

Post by jaymaechtlen »

oops - haven't been here much, and obviously haven't checked notifications!
YEah, I started my 3.8 swap in '04 and got it on the road in late 09.
I bought the series II motor in 2012 or so, and almost ready to install in 2018...
'61 2dr, custom fiberglass skin, transverse mid-engine - Buick 3800 supercharged V6 - hauls!
4-speed, auto trans
toytron

Post by toytron »

Lol....I do the same thing! I respond to old threads. That's ok though because they still get read.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”