Exhaust manifold studs

All Models and Years
King68

Exhaust manifold studs

Post by King68 »

Okay, so I'm working on the exhaust while I wait for my Clark's order to finish off the front suspension. POV seems to have drilled out the studs holding the crossover, etc to the logs one time too many and now they're a bit sloppy. I'd like simply to run the short end of the studs tightly against the incomplete threads and call it good, but will that be enough?
Attachments
exhaust manifold with studs.jpg
terribleted

Re: Exhaust manifold studs

Post by terribleted »

Maybe. If you find they come loose try a spot of weld on each stud behind each manifold ear so they can't back out
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

A more permanent repair would include helicoils. Most parts stores carry these or similar stuff. Be nice to do it once, then forget it.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
King68

Post by King68 »

That may do for some of the studs. One of them has 'way too thin a wall on one side after stud extraction/re-tapping to risk making it even thinner with a helicoil. I'm thinking of drilling in radially on the thicker side and putting in a set screw to hold it. Comments?
King68

Post by King68 »

See what I mean?
Attachments
exhaust logs.jpg
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Put lock nuts on the back side when you screw the stud in, you might have to grind a tad on the back of the ear. :my02:
Attachments
?????
?????
37352_hr4c.jpg (9.5 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Sometimes it is better to just step up and spend a few dollars on some replacements. Used manifolds should not be too much.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

After thinking about the lock nuts you don't want ones with a flange. Not enough room. Think the welding a spot would be best, your not likely to ever want to remove them. :dontknow:

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: It would seem like a flange stud, like those pictured below, would work well with the exhaust manifold. The flange would bottom out against the manifold casting, preventing it from passing through too far, and applying tension against the threads as the studs are tightened in-place.

Loctite thread locker might be useful in this application. I'm not sure how hot the manifold gets, but the high temperature Loctite is supposed to withstand temperatures up to 450° F.

:link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-0 ... oCPZLw_wcB

:link: http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37480-Tem ... octite+272

Clark's uses stainless studs with brass nuts in their replacement manifold kits...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=32
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Get another set or weld the ones you have, when you tighten that up it will most likely break, at least the super thin one, A good welder can fix them, I just had one welded on, But sometimes if they have a lot of rust they are goners
Attachments
Used parts 2 018.jpg
Jeep  TC insides 007.jpg
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

OK, here is what you do. First get an old snow blower bearing retainer collar & drill out one of the 3 holes & drill another across from it. Then cut it half but not to close to the holes you just drilled. Then put the 2 halves around the manifold behind the ears " cut them off" & weld it back together. Then grind part of 2 bolt heads flat on one side & put them in the collar from the back side. The flat side of the bolts won't be able to turn as you tighten the nuts when you attach the exhaust pipe & donut. Don't forget lock washers. I had to do this as the ears on my left manifold were broken off. This will work as good if not better than Dave's gas tank cleaner. :rolling: Keep in mind never let anyone look under your car. This fix has lasted almost 3 years & my 64 has been my daily driver for over 2 years. I think i'm going to put her up this winter to fix the front cross member. :tu: :tongue: ::-): My wife has her breast surgery next week & I hope it turns out good then I can start saving some money for a new exhaust manifold. :pray:
Attachments
100_0006.JPG
100_0005.JPG
100_0004.JPG
100_0003.JPG

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Thanks for the tip and I hope the surgery goes well!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Thanks Brad,

She made it through 6 Chemo's & the last scan she had didn't show the lump so that sounds like good news.

Jeff

Kalamazoo, Mi..
King68

Post by King68 »

Well, campers, I bit the bullet. I found a reasonably-priced pair on eBay and expect them any day now. Thanks for your help!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”