Door panel water paper adhesive?

All Models and Years
junnyquest

Door panel water paper adhesive?

Post by junnyquest »

The manual calls for 'body caulking compound'. My car currently has what looks somewhat like plumber's putty, but is more brittle. A Google search renders body seam sealer results, which are tar based compounds.

Wondering what Chevy means when they say body caulking compound...

Thanks
Marc

1964 Spyder Coupe
2013 VW Beetle Turbo
2015 VW Jetta Sport
spyderman64

Re: Door panel water paper adhesive?

Post by spyderman64 »

I just use duct tape. Nobody will see them when the door panels are installed anyway.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Yes it's a lot like plumbers putty and stays soft for many years, but after 5 decades it's dried out and hard.

You can still find it - 3M Strip Caulk in black 08578 or gray - see http://www.amazon.com/3M-08578-Black-St ... B000PEZ1L4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many auto supply stores can get it for you.

Forget the old paper liner - cheap and leaks. I use heavy vinyl. It will stick in place with the caulk and you can repeatedly remove and re-install it. Yes you can use duct tape, but it will dry out and come loose. The caulk will stay sealed and flexible for many years. I've got a box that's 15 years old and still good.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

66vairguy wrote:Yes it's a lot like plumbers putty and stays soft for many years, but after 5 decades it's dried out and hard.

You can still find it - 3M Strip Caulk in black 08578 or gray
This is the best material I have found as well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
junnyquest

Post by junnyquest »

Thanks for the info, guys!
Marc

1964 Spyder Coupe
2013 VW Beetle Turbo
2015 VW Jetta Sport
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

+1 on 3M strip caulk. Store it in the freezer, take out in small sections to keep cold while you install it, makes it much easier to handle.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
junnyquest

Post by junnyquest »

Nickshu wrote:+1 on 3M strip caulk. Store it in the freezer, take out in small sections to keep cold while you install it, makes it much easier to handle.
:goodpost:
Marc

1964 Spyder Coupe
2013 VW Beetle Turbo
2015 VW Jetta Sport
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Make sure to install the door papers correctly. They are cut so that the bottom ends stick into the drain slots in the inside steel panel of the door. They should be totally sealed from these slots up both sides to the top on the paper. The top edge is secured leaving gaps in the adhesive so any moisture that might accumulate between the very top of the paper and the door can drain into the door.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

P1000258.JPG
I used duct tape and lawn & leaf bags.
If it aint broke, give me a minute
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Duct tape is a poor choice the way you have that installed the plastic and tape can collect water between the plastic/tape and the door frame where it can cause rust. Nothing wrong with plastic but attach it with the material mentioned above and run the sealer in the right place, ie. close to the edge of any openings and it will work much better. Duct tape also does not stay in place for the long term in the application. I have watched it fall off plenty of car doors when I take them apart to repair collision damage and someone else has been in there and used it. It gets hard and the adhesive releases much faster than you would think.

tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

terribleted wrote:Duct tape is a poor choice the way you have that installed the plastic and tape can collect water between the plastic/tape and the door frame where it can cause rust. Nothing wrong with plastic but attach it with the material mentioned above and run the sealer in the right place, ie. close to the edge of any openings and it will work much better. Duct tape also does not stay in place for the long term in the application. I have watched it fall off plenty of car doors when I take them apart to repair collision damage and someone else has been in there and used it. It gets hard and the adhesive releases much faster than you would think.
Gorilla tape...duct tape with attitude. Used the stuff to repair a small hole in my convertible. Two years before I replaced that top. It never leaked and out of curiosity I tried to remove it after those two years and it wasn't easy. Just my two cents.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

tommy44432 wrote:
terribleted wrote:Duct tape is a poor choice the way you have that installed the plastic and tape can collect water between the plastic/tape and the door frame where it can cause rust. Nothing wrong with plastic but attach it with the material mentioned above and run the sealer in the right place, ie. close to the edge of any openings and it will work much better. Duct tape also does not stay in place for the long term in the application. I have watched it fall off plenty of car doors when I take them apart to repair collision damage and someone else has been in there and used it. It gets hard and the adhesive releases much faster than you would think.
Gorilla tape...duct tape with attitude. Used the stuff to repair a small hole in my convertible. Two years before I replaced that top. It never leaked and out of curiosity I tried to remove it after those two years and it wasn't easy. Just my two cents.
Ok but you missed the point. Unless the tape is adhered right at the edge of the water channels and openings in the door and the water papers are cut undersized so there are no pockets where water can collect between paper and door, the function will not be as intended. The taped on paper above has numerous pockets between the paper tape and door metal. Simplest way is to use precut door papers and strip caulk applied in the factory locations leaving no pockets in which water can collect. If maintenance inside the door is needed the paper generally can be peeled back, removed and re-installed without damage and often without any additional strip caulk. It would be difficult to remove any tape from the door and paper and securely re-install it.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”