The inevitable happened.

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: The inevitable happened.

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Nice! No more clutch cable to break.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :ty: This could become a popular modification! Your pictures are very helpful. If you could post a detailed list of materials, your supply sources, and perhaps a final "lessons learned" commentary to guide us along many might tackle this project for their own Corvairs.
:ty:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Thanks guys:) I'll do that as soon as I finish, had to order a couple more adapters for this. Overall a cheap modification. I think I'm into it for about $200
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

For someone that isn't in the know - What are the benefits of a hydraulic clutch?
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

dagdal1967 wrote:For someone that isn't in the know - What are the benefits of a hydraulic clutch?
Well with my EM I broke 2 clutch cables leaving me stranded quite a way away from home. But even more than that for me, have you ever had to sit at a stop light with the clutch pushed in? It's very tiring, so a hydraulic clutch makes it very easy to push and hold. Makes it feel like a new car.
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

Yup.. Most of my driving is in-town driving, so Ya. I get it. I'd be interested in the instructions as Brad mentioned to see what it would take to convert.

Would have to wait till after my upcoming project though - Sound/Heat proofing and new carpet & headliner.

:-)

One thing at a time.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Got the clutch master cylinder in and bled, seemed like the slave cylinder wasn't pulling far enough to move the throw out bearing all the way. I think I accidentally bought one with too short of a throw, should've been about 1.5" and I ordered one with .8" no problem, just more parts to wait on. hah
IMG_1175.JPG
Anyway I'm installing the windows soon, and ordered all new plastic clips for the trim from clarks, everywhere I've looked you're supposed to only need 20 clips for the front and 20 clips for the back, for some reason though my front has 21 studs.... :dontknow: can anyone tell from my picture which one is extra? I guess I could always just order another set of clips, one of the others slightly cracked anyway so it may be good to get more. just weird though.
IMG_1179.JPG
Can't wait to get this thing on the road! Going to get some seats, and wheels and tires before I drive it though. Have a CHP officer coming tomorrow to check my vin number so I can get the title and register it.
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Well installed the rear window, and I was pulling the front window out of the donor car and freakin cracked it! so mad right now, very expensive mistake. Guess I'll be looking for another one.
Attachments
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

God.favored wrote:...I was pulling the front window out of the donor car and freakin cracked it! so mad right now, very expensive mistake.

Have a CHP officer coming tomorrow to check my vin number so I can get the title and register it.
I hate re-using old front glass in a restoration like yours. It's too much work to remove and re-install only to end up with old glass. I can find smaller glass shops around here that will sell me new windshields for under $150. I bought two last time so I always have a spare for myself or local club members in a pinch.

Good luck on the title and registration. I don't invest time or money into a car until I have a clear title in my name. Got burned on that one before.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

azdave wrote:
I hate re-using old front glass in a restoration like yours. It's too much work to remove and re-install only to end up with old glass. I can find smaller glass shops around here that will sell me new windshields for under $150. I bought two last time so I always have a spare for myself or local club members in a pin

Good luck on the title and registration. I don't invest time or money into a car until I have a clear title in my name. Got burned on that one before.
Really 150? Wow I'll have to look around I guess. I just didn't even think about trying a glass shop because I figured they wouldn't be able to get anything.
And thanks, I actually already got the car registered and the title should be here in a week or so. :)
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

God.favored wrote:
azdave wrote:
I hate re-using old front glass in a restoration like yours. It's too much work to remove and re-install only to end up with old glass. I can find smaller glass shops around here that will sell me new windshields for under $150. I bought two last time so I always have a spare for myself or local club members in a pin

Really 150? Wow I'll have to look around I guess.

Search around for windshield "DW659" Fits all LM coupes, convertibles and 4-drs.

A few supplier names mentioned here.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 998,825999
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Thanks! I'll be calling around tomorrow, pay day! Haha
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
God.favored

Updates!

Post by God.favored »

Well I finally had some extra time and money to put towards the car!

Update on the clutch setup:
Turns out the slave cylinder I bought was not the one I thought it was, it only had a 3/4" stroke and needs about 1 3/4" so I went ahead and purchased a new willwood cylinder and so far so good.

Picked up some seats. Love how they look, and for racing style buckets they're actually pretty comfortable.
IMG_1552.JPG
IMG_1555.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG
Installed a new holly electric fuel pump and relay, need to put the cutoff switch in the front still, already wired everything else and ran the wire for it.

Now for the questions! I decided to swap the guage cluster over from the 65 donor car while I was at it, but it seems that I forgot what wiring went were. anyone have a wiring diagram for the 65 and 67 dash? mainly need the 67.
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Got the car up and running again today, but it kept throwing the fan belt off and finally broke it. It was just an autozone belt that clearly was not the same style, but I remember my 63 having an automatic tensioner with a spring going to the back of the car on it and this car doesn't. does anyone know where I can get another one of these? I'll be ordering the correct belts from clarks tonight.
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
b74eqcm

Post by b74eqcm »

God.favored wrote:Got the car up and running again today, but it kept throwing the fan belt off and finally broke it. It was just an autozone belt that clearly was not the same style, but I remember my 63 having an automatic tensioner with a spring going to the back of the car on it and this car doesn't. does anyone know where I can get another one of these? I'll be ordering the correct belts from clarks tonight.
Unless you are racing or routinely shifting at engine rpm redline, a spring tensioner is not needed. The proper belt, properly adjusted, with guides in place, rarely ever fails. Before installing a new belt, check the blower bearing, alternator bearings, and idler bearings. Make sure they all spin freely with no noise, binding, or slop. Inspect the harmonic balancer for cracks in rubber or if the outer ring has slipped. If all is well with these, install new belt, tighten it a little less than you want to, and drive.

Jim
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Looser is better than too tight, sounds backwards but it works.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”