Another V8 Vair rumbles to my home

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Another V8 Vair rumbles to my home

Post by azdave »

Okay. It rumbles for sure but I had to tow it home to get it there. Tranny was slipping and owner needed cash to help buy a house.

This car was previously owned by someone in our local Cactus Corvair Club and this guy I got it from him back in 2004. It has several old dash plaques from CCC shows. I see some signs that this car may have been modified by Bob Coffin many years ago as some of the things I saw on this conversion look just like the other Toro V8 I have that Bob worked on at "The Shop" in Mesa.

The body tag indicates a 65 Monza PG with factory A/C. The hidden VIN matches too.

The car has many mods like a Corsa cluster with all VDO gauges except for the speedo. The odd badging seen in the pics will be comng off. Notice the crossed flags on the gas door and the Corsa emblems that were added in many places? Not my style. I also don't care for the half-moon headlight covers but those are all easy fixes.

The body looks solid and has a few paint chips and such but I like the glossy finish. I don't see any signs of collision damage and the only rust that was seen was a small hole under the battery box. I'm sure there is a little putty hiding under the paint somewhere. There always is after 50 years.

With a tranny fix and a couple of long weekends doing some clean-up/dress-up work up it will be a nice ride. I have several spare TH425 trannies so I should have the parts to make it all come together again.

Click any link below the pics to see a few more photos.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1152589690 ... directlink

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
cad-kid

Re: Another V8 Vair rumbles to my home

Post by cad-kid »

Nice find! I guess you really have to be careful of cement parking lot barriers with that low radiator :eek:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

cad-kid wrote:Nice find! I guess you really have to be careful of cement parking lot barriers with that low radiator :eek:
That will be modified soon after the tranny is fixed. I'm already figuring how to tilt it forward instead of back and have it no lower than the trunk bottom afterwards.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Lol, it's in the blood. When you think you can't start another project but then there's always room for just one more. It's a good one :tu:
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
Corvair Society Of America Member "Corsa"
V-8 Registry Member
County98

Post by County98 »

Looks good!