Edz 1965 Corsa Project (Nevada)

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Edz

Re: Edz 1965 Corsa Project (Nevada)

Post by Edz »

As always thank you for the information, the battery box is a great idea until I get to the point of ordering new steel from Clark's. No real updates this week I have a odd work schedule plus getting kid stuff ready for school has cut into "our" time. ;p. The grounding will be taken care of, having schooling and much experience as a electronics tech I understand bad grounding all to well and the havoc it can create. Ha I just thought I bet there is not a single IC in the car.

So for heater delete it sounds much easier than I thought. No bonus from using the heater blower fan to help route the heat out?

Oh I wish I could claim cancer free but, considering what I got and the deal I'm not complaining.
Attachments
Below the battery area
Below the battery area
No stock parts were harmed during the on going restoration of this Corvair....ok, maybe a little bit.
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Edz wrote: So for heater delete it sounds much easier than I thought. No bonus from using the heater blower fan to help route the heat out?
The amount of help the heater fan would be to pull hot air out is minimal. Even if the fan belt breaks it doesn't help much then either because it pulls air backwards through the lower air doors (which will be at max open position during a hot engine event) more than past the cylinder find as you would hope.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

My main concern in dropping the heater system would be also losing the windshield defroster/defogger capability. In humid rainy conditions you can still have a need for blowing fresh air on the inside of the windshield to keep the windshield clear.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Edz

Post by Edz »

Very true and good point to note, being over 4,000 feet up where I live and smack dab in the middle of a very low humidity high plain desert... Those conditions are few and far between. Granted we do get snow...snow in the desert who would of thought. :rolling: if I get my way the closest this Corvair will be to snow will be by looking out the back window of my garage at the snow in the back yard.

I won't get destructive when I remove it and will still clean it up and keep the heater as such. If it really does not help much for cooling might be best to leave it as Chevrolet intended.
No stock parts were harmed during the on going restoration of this Corvair....ok, maybe a little bit.
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065
County98

Post by County98 »

I like that battery box too. Checked 'em out at Autozone ad they're pretty inexpensive as well. Good info on the grounding as well, I didn't think of that either, lol.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
Edz

Post by Edz »

Well since I can not do much on the car right now I figured every little bit helps. So I started refurbishing items I have here at the house. Nothing fancy but, still fun. I'm itching to do some serious work though. On the Corsa center caps I used polish from a headlight plastic cover refurbishing kit and they cleaned up well.
Attachments
Corsa caps...plan to repaint the backs were they need after a visit to the hobby store for some paint this week.
Corsa caps...plan to repaint the backs were they need after a visit to the hobby store for some paint this week.
Front before
Front before
Front after
Front after
Back before
Back before
After
After
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065
Edz

Post by Edz »

Well it has been awhile... To make a long story short, my Corsa has been up at my buddies place for a bit while I finished off helping out on the 32 Tudor. Well today was the first day I truly feel like a Corvair owner. It is home and in my garage! YES YES YES :woo:

Now I can finally start having some fun and getting truly dirty, now that I do not have to drive 50miles just go see it!

It was an awesome feeling driving my oldest daughter around the neighbor hood. :tu:

Now the hard part where to begin! I did find out today the brakes are awesome...new lines on all 4 corners. Plus the slightest touch to the pedal and you are STOPPED! Now granted I have not dug into them yet but they sure do feel good and there is no significant left/right pulling going on.

Things I have done but, sadly did not documented while it was up at my buddies:
fixed driver side window (thnx Corvair Ranch) window goes up and down now, replaced regulator and the upper track that mounts to the window.
Fixed stuck float on driver side carb post rebuild :doh:
Pulled most of the interior out to inspect floors and such...all good only surface rust here and there. Oh I love the evening orchid poly color on the panels behind the rear shelf. I must be the first person to see that since the insulation and cardboard were glued there. (I'm thinking of replacing the cardboard with wood...time to put those wood shop skills from 7th and 8th grade to work, do kids still get to do that?)
Acquired some awesome odds and ends that I was missing with much gratitude and thanks going out to the ultra awesome Corvair couple that have been helping me out and keeping me on track. :not worthy: :wave:
Today I feel like things can finally really get started. The only things holding me back now are budget and time....mostly budget

Highest priority.... Idk :dontknow:

Tires, gas tank, shocks...I'm sure the more I clean, scrub, and sand the list will grow and change.
Attachments
Welcome home, may you never be stuck outside again.
Welcome home, may you never be stuck outside again.
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Bughappy

Post by Bughappy »

Hey bud... we are practically neighbors ..... my "new" '65 Monza and I live in Yerington Nv.. 45miles away.. would love to get together sometime... I have a 4post lift, welding equipment specialized tools etc if you ever want to come over and use them ... fellow car nuts always welcome..
Attachments
046.JPG
Edz

Post by Edz »

I was wondering if anyone bought that white one out in Smith. Looks like now I know who assuming it is the same one, sure does look like it. :tu:
I would be happy to meet up with you and if you are ever in Fernley drop on by. I work nights so I am usually home most of the day until it is time to go pick up the rugrats from school. I like to go bass fishing out at Hinkson slough I will be sure to come by next time I'm out there. I would love to gain some body work knowledge from you, I have a bit to do on mine and body work is new to me. Nuts and bolts stuff no worries...pulling a dent will be a first. :tongue: I will pm you my contact info.

As for today's work, my youngest got in on the action with the shop vac. Based on all the broken glass I found it looks like rear window was replaced at some point. Mostly been working on cleaning things up so I know what I have to work with.

There is a brace going across the car to stop the rear seat fold down, I was curious if it is safe to remove or structural? I'm pretty sure I can pull it but, I'm a measure 2x cut once person.
Attachments
She was having a lot of fun!
She was having a lot of fun!
image.jpg
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065
Bughappy

Post by Bughappy »

Yep, that's mine... I just drove past that "lil white Monza once to many times and could not resist it any more.. The price was right and it IS cute as a bug.. lol
Edz

Post by Edz »

Today's project:
image.jpg
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065
Edz

Post by Edz »

I love how one thing leads to another... So while I let my budget refill so I can pick up some multi kits from Clark's, I figured might as do all I can and begin the disassembly and refurbish along the way while I build the replace list. My gauge cluster and surrounds project has lead me down a fun path so far. I have all the gauges cleaned up now and will finish stripping the aluminum tomorrow and get it ready for primer and paint. Luckily the factory paint was so dry and baked that most of it has just flaked of. One not so nice part was the trip dials numbers pretty much mostly turn to dust by blowing on them. :td:
For the most part things are going well minus one newly discovered sore spot on the dash just under the passenger side corner of the windshield. Looks like water was being trapped by the dash pad...how the water was getting there is unknown for now. I'm betting the windshield though. Off to find I think it was a davemotohead video on how to remove the bright work around the windshield (sorry I have been watching to much wheeler dealers :tu: ) I think it mentioned I would need a special tool...?
Attachments
I'm having fun
I'm having fun
Driver side corner
Driver side corner
Passenger side corner
Passenger side corner
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065
Edz

Post by Edz »

Today's progress: Not as much time today to spend, rugrats out of school early and a few other obligations.

Kick panels were removed and area behind shop vac'ed, not to bad. I plan to use a rust inhibitor/sealer in there to prevent damage in the future. I spent 2mins with my longest screw driver up in place between the fender and the wiper blade area (not sure what to call the panel) knocking out all kinds of crud on the passenger side... It just kept coming! :sad5: The driver side was no where near as cruddy. I'm assuming that is the air channel for the vents at least I hope it is! :pray:

I have video of the before I went at it with the shop vac., I used my phone as probe to see what was in there. :tu: it was pretty blocked up with leaves and crud plus extra sealer. Whoever got there before me sure had no issues with using tons of sealer.

Here is the after the 1st vac pass.
Pass. Side post 1st vac. Strike
Pass. Side post 1st vac. Strike
Driver side
Driver side
Also I was able to get the glove box surround stripped and prepared. The instrument cluster surround was prepped for stripping. I do not want to risk pulling it off the plastic so I'm leaving it attached. Plus I'm not sure how the plastic will react to the aircraft stripper, so I masked all I could. I'll post some pics of that when I have the before, after, mid and completed all together.
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065
Edz

Post by Edz »

Well, over the last few days I made mostly some more inspection progress for my Remove, Refurbish, or Replace list.
Btw Davemotohead's trick from his video for pulling the wipers off worked well, my paint can opener will now always have a place in my tool box and not on top of the wife's paint cans.
I found further evidence of the passenger side front fender repair. Looks like she took a bigger hit there than I suspected. I had previously found body filler at the top of the arch and knew there was some type of repair. Now a pretty shoddy weld where the fender meets just below the A pillar. When I get to stripping the old layers of paint off I'm sure I will find more evidence.
The good news is now I know why my brakes work so well, the shoes look brand new to me. I can still read the lettering on the sides, the lines going into the drums also look far newer than what else is down there...far less crud vs. the speedo cable...which is snapped btw. :tu: both sides look pretty much the same, so it appears they were done at the same time. Who knows how long ago...
Attachments
That does not look factory to me...
That does not look factory to me...
Front brakes driver side.
Front brakes driver side.
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065
Edz

Post by Edz »

Today:
Wrinkle sprayed the surrounds and removed who knows how old fuel from the tank. I also sprayed PB on all the sway bar nuts and bolts and the tanks as well.
The tank had 5 gallons in it, with fuel that looks like... Something that would be released from a dehydrated person behind a bush, very dark yellow with a slight tint of red. I ran out of time to drop the tank today but, this just gives the PB longer to work.
Attachments
Tank
Tank
Sender
Sender
1965 Corsa Coupe #5065

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”