County98's Learn as I Go Thread

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
County98

Re: County98's Learn as I Go Thread

Post by County98 »

Pfffft! Lol, don't forget I've never even tried to get my car running in 2 years. I just tinker with whatever sounds fun that day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
County98

Post by County98 »

Worked some more on the gauge cluster today. Didn't get terribly far, but got some nit-picky stuff done.

First were the cardboard tubes. I read some folks using PVC (seemed like a great idea), copper pipe, new from Clark's, etc. I didn't feel it was necessary right now, even though mine are not looking so hot. I've got a few unknowns on this whole thing anyway, so may re-attack it later. All I did was give a couple light coats of white paint inside (didn't take very well, but some anyway), and wrapped my tubes in painters tape. The tape will hopefully stop my tubes from unrolling like a cigar and I left just a little extra on the ends to work as the factory rings that just fell out in broken, sad little pieces.
Tubes.jpg
Second thing was the lenses. I went to Staples and got some fairly rigid, "frosted" look binder dividers in different colors. I went with light green and blue respectively. This one is also a crapshoot and may be on the re-attack list later as well. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky! :think: Not worried about stock of course, but I still have to like it, lol.
Lenses (1).jpg
Lenses (2).jpg
Third on todays hit list was my Speedo pointer. All the rest were still pretty vibrant, but the Speedo was looking faded and darkened. Didn't like it. Went and picked up some Testor's Fluorescent Orange and a little modelling brush. Cheap enough, plus had a nice lunch in town with the wife. :tu:
Pointer (2).jpg
Pointer (1).jpg
On the bodies of the gauges themselves, I wasn't worried about being pretty at all. What I did do though, that I think is super important while it was out was to grab the dremel and clean up EVERY electrical contact point. Including the grounding bar and where it attaches to each gauge.
Dremel.jpg
Got to assemble the gauge body somewhat, and I think it's coming out pretty nice. Like I said before, if you're not in a hurry, this is kind of a fun little job that you're be staring at every time you jump in the car. ::-):
Assemble.jpg
Still have to work the harness itself a little bit, mainly just cleaning contacts and light bulbs. Also, painting the face of the surround. Blech. :doh:
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Post by County98 »

Last thing I got started on was the surround. I'm pretty nervous about this whole wrinkle thing. I hope it doesn't turn out sucky. I'd REALLY hate to have to start over on it. :banghead: :banghead:

While I was out getting the paint for the pointer, I stopped at FLAPS and picked up some 1/4" pinstriping tape. That stuff is stupid expensive. Like $13 for a smallish roll. Ended up only using it for the 4 bezel edges and then used some green frog tape for the other stuff. just taped across the little things and cut around with a razor blade. I went ahead and put some green over the pinstripe tape as well, since it wasn't very wide.

Of course I want the cleanest paint lines possible, but if I had to do it again (and I sincerely hope not...) I would skip the stupid pinstripe tape and just go for it with the Frog Tape.
Taped.jpg
Shot it with 3-4 light coats of self-etching primer and shut down the shop for the night. Tomorrow will be Judgement Day for the wrinkle... :sad5:

I've been purposely leaving out anything about the glove box and surround by the way. Here's the thing...the box and surround don't actually look too terrible. Sure they're faded a little and have some VERY minor discolors and boo boo's, but I've read the gauge aluminum is much easier to wrinkle than the steel on the other side. What I'm kind of holding out for is to see the gloss level of the wrinkle finish in person. If I have something close, it will be SOOOOOO much easier to just dust up the glove box side with a little fresh paint. Guess I'll have to wait and see how the wrinkle turns out, both in color and texture.

OH! While you're here, I need your opinions please! :not worthy: :not worthy:

I'm going back and forth on the ashtray. I'm thinking of painting it dash color, but the factory has it wrinkle black. Do you guys like the black Corsa ashtray, or do you think dash colored would clean it up a little?

Second, I'm going with a Single DIN stereo. I already have a nice one, so I'm gonna use it. I'm still working out the details on mounting, but don't freak about cutting the dash. I think I can make it work just bending back the tabs.

Anyhoo, I like the idea of using the factory radio faceplate (which I will have to cut, but mines pretty bad anyway), but I need to know if you think this one can be cleaned up enough to look good. It's pretty discolored and pitted.
Bezel.jpg
Whatcha guys think? I'm curious about your opinions on the ashtray color and if the faceplate is clean-up-able?
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

toytron

Re: RE: Re: County98's Learn as I Go Thread

Post by toytron »

County98 wrote:Thanks Toytron. For sure bud, anyone's welcome. Would have been pretty cool to BBQ and get some advice from another Corvair guy. I don't know ANY, so except for the forums, I've pretty much been on my own. Fun to have a project to tinker with though.
I don't remember where Rafee (Rafman) lives but he is in Oklahoma. His website is http://www.corvair1.com/
He is on this forum too. Maybe you could look him up sometime.

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

County98 wrote:Pfffft! Lol, don't forget I've never even tried to get my car running in 2 years. I just tinker with whatever sounds fun that day.
I wish I could tinker on mine. My garage is so full of crap right now that I don't really have the room to mess with my car. I have a torpedo heater, but it goes through a tank of propane pretty quick, so I try not to use it, so I have to wait for spring to get the garage in order to even clean the garage.
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
County98

Post by County98 »

Been busy the last couple days with other stuff, but the wrinkle came out pretty good on the first try. It says the paint is really slow drying, and to not handle for 48 hours, so I just let it sit.

Not too shabby. I have a couple small shinier spots, and I didn't notice until after I untaped everything. Guess I got excited and didn't look it over close enough. It'll be fine though. You can see a little shinier edge in the second pic. It's probably 95% good and with the ever changing lighting, I doubt anyone will ever notice but me.
Wrinkle.jpg
Also, took a shot and coated the glove box door and surround in the Krylon Fusion Satin Black. It's pretty much become my favorite spray paint, lol. I've been using the stuff for almost all my little stuff too. Came out pretty good and I'm gonna roll with it. It's just SLIGHTLY glossier than the wrinkle, but again, in a car I don't think anyone will even notice. The hinge in the pic is the factory finish, just washed up. All matches close enough for me! :tu: ::-):

You can see a small scratch in the glove door. There's actually a couple, but they were in good enough shape to not try to sand or strip. Just degreased and dusted with the Satin Black.
Black.jpg
Lastly, I replaced a couple bulbs that were black so just assumed they were toast. While working the harness you can see at the bottom, my cleaning up of the electric contacts included the bulb "+"'s in the bottom of the sockets.

I picked up a few of the 1816 bulbs also. Same as the 1895's, but are about 30% brighter I think. Just used them in the tubes for now, turn signals and high beams. They're too tall for the tach bubbles, but I may go with all LED's for instrument lighting later, so didn't mess with any of it right now.
Bulbs.jpg
That's it for today, but tomorrow I'm going to try to get the cluster assembled and maybe installed. I've been kicking around some things I have to solve before I put everything back together though.

All my knobs and bezels (ignition, lighter, etc.) all look like complete crap with pockmarked plating and rust. Haven't decided which way to go with that yet. Also want to work on getting the single DIN stereo in while there's lots of room to move back there. I have a couple ideas for the stereo install though, so we'll see if I can get it confabulated without looking too clunky. See next time Corvair buddies! :wave: :wave:
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Post by County98 »

Got some stuff put back together today. Feels weird after just taking stuff apart for so long. Dash went on okay, little bit of a PITA. There's a SMALL chance I won't have to pull it out again later, but I probably will. Just too many unknowns.

For now though it felt good to put some pieces back together for sure. :woo:

Only real note I have on this one is that I made sure to grind down to metal the dash spot where you will be tightening down the instrument cluster grounding bar. I also used a star washer to make sure it had some bite. Also, used black RTV (gasket maker) to attach aluminum to the plastic cluster. Just little beads here and there close to where the factory glue spots were.
Star.jpg
Got the cluster back in finally. Was a little finicky, and I had to find a couple new screw clips, but got 'er done.
Gauges In.jpg
Got the Single DIN mounted as well. A little bulky, but it will have to do until someone with a 3D printer starts making DIN bezels... :think:
Dash Straight.jpg
Dash Left.jpg
Dash Right.jpg
:wave: :wave: :wave:
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Looks good. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Rob
Chebanse, IL
toytron

Post by toytron »

Love the silver dash. Jealous

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
County98

Post by County98 »

Nothing too dramatic today, worked on a bunch of little stuff. Got the Glove Box door remounted and aligned. Not a big job, but took a little time. I don't actually HAVE a glove box, but don't need one yet.

I had a bonehead moment too, lol. I ordered from Clarks the little rubber bumpers for the glove box and ashtray, and a new cancelling cam plastic doohickey for the steering. Immediately after I hit the Place Order button, I realized I never actually ordered the glove box. Eh, no biggie.

I love being able to order from Clark's by the way. Especially for the millions of little putzy things like glove box rubber bumpers.
20170202_155413.jpg
Dorked up the ashtray a little too while I was painting it, arg. I was doing a bunch of little stuff (dash knobs and bezels) in "Steel" color, while doing the ashtray in wheel paint to match dash. One my second light coat, I grabbed the wrong can and sprayed it too light. :banghead: :banghead: Re-caoted it, but the paint peeled a little and has the texture of an orange! I decided that at the angle the ashtray sits, I'm just going to roll with it. Didn't feel like sanding it down and starting all over.
Ashtray Peel.jpg
Also got the lighter and ignition switch back in, along with the knobs for lights and wiper. My knobs and bezels all looked like complete a$$. All the plated stuff in the car has a bunch of rust pimples all over it. What I finally decided to do was just dremel everything fairly smooth, prime it and paint it. Chrome paint is kind of a joke, so went with a Stainless Steel metallic paint. They came out okay, but not fantastic. Again though, this is just all for me, so if I don't like them later I'll change them out. I think they're fine though.

Side note on the lighter. Mine was a rusty mess. Threw it in the trash. Also, most older cigar lighters seem to be just SLIGHTLY bigger and all the newfangled phone chargers and whatnot seem to flop around a little. Picked up a cheapo replacement at FLAPS and the only "adjusting" I needed to do was dremel down the lip a little so it would fit in the factory trim ring.
Collars.jpg
Lastly, took a quick 5 minutes and roughly sanded up and sprayed the emergency brake lever.
20170202_172122.jpg
Next thing in work will be my nasty heater controller and cleaning up the pedals. Blech. Small victories I suppose, and then it's done with. :tongue:
Heater Control Before (1).jpg
Heater Control Before (2).jpg
I really do need to find a better camera than my scratched up phone. Looks pretty sharp in real life, but my pictures suck. :sad5: ::-): :tu:
Attachments
20170202_155413.jpg
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Well Done! I missed the original post about the wrinkle or I would have suggested having a heat gun on hand. It will fix any shiny spots (before it dries)

You did a great job!
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

Shayne - looking good! I like the two tone dash, it all looks great together... Haven't been around in a while, but good to see the progress... Carry on!

Continued good luck with your project!
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
County98

Post by County98 »

Thanks fella's. Appreciate the good words!

Bob, every time I come off a break, I review your thread, lol. I had your car as my desktop wallpaper for awhile!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Hmm, I may have to steal your two tone idea. My interior is a sea of black and I would like to break it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Rob
Chebanse, IL
County98

Post by County98 »

Yeah, that's exactly what I didn't want. Hopefully it doesn't come out too cheesy, but I like that modern cars break it up some. Still going with black door panels and trim (maybe), but may go with a charcoal gray carpet and gray headliner. We'll see when I get that far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

County98 wrote:...every time I come off a break, I review your thread...
I really need to bring it up to current... In my 3rd winter with a much shorter punch list.
County98 wrote:... I had your car as my desktop wallpaper for awhile!...
Only a while? Ha, I still do!

Keep up the great work and progress...
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”