'66 Monza Coupe Project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
91blaze

'66 Monza Coupe Project

Post by 91blaze »

Figured I should start up a project page for this car. It's a 1966 Corvair Monza Coupe with a 110 hp and 4 speed. Right now I'm working on getting it to start so I can drive it around and see what needs work. Plans are:

Exterior:
Repaint original color
Move gas tank filler (always bugged me being on the fender)
205/60/15 tires, Camaro Z28 rims
Possible body mods
LED taillights, turn signals, etc.
Upgrade headlights

Interior:
Reupholster seats
Cleanup interior
Put tachometer in clock position
Replace lighting with LEDs
Electric heater

Engine:
Clean/tune
Rebuild carbs
Alternator mod
Other misc. upgrades

Those are the basic plans, I'm sure I missed something. I've looked in all the expected areas for rust and cannot find anything other than the usual surface rust in some areas. The interior is much better than expected, but the seats do need fixed up. The PO left new carpet and headliner, along with other parts in the trunk. Here are some pics:

Last edited by 91blaze on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
91blaze

Re: '66 Monza Coupe Project

Post by 91blaze »

FYI: I will be keeping the first post updated with any plans I may add and a current progress picture. Right now, I'm just waiting on parts because I need to rebuild the carbs. I will definitely end up rewiring most of the car to clean it up and get rid of any faulty wiring. If anyone has bumpers for sale, let me know.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Got a lot of stuff in the mail this week. Got an antenna, door lock knobs, higher output alternator, carb rebuild, all new locks, radio bezel, dome light, and soon some new headlights :cool: I figured I would need the higher amperage alternator since I will have high output headlights, new audio system, and electric heater. I rebuilt the carbs and went out to re-install them only to find the engine compartment covered in snow. I guess I'm gonna have to conjure up some some sort of flap system to keep snow out. I have to wait for the snow to melt before I progress any further. I found two problems when rebuilding the carburetors: first was badly adjusted floats which accounts for the fuel starvation, and second was the part that screws on to the choke flap was rotated around, making it impossible to attach the choke linkage. Hopefully it starts and runs right now.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

I have decided to stop looking for bumpers and go the custom route. I found a car with bumpers and spoilers like I want to make. I will include a link to it. I also got some Z28 Camaro rims, I will be finding tires and mounting them tomorrow. I will post pics when I get them on.

Link to car: http://classiccars.com/listings/view/35 ... exas-76017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

thats a clean 4door and ya gotta love those molded in bumpers and spoilers, go for it I think that would look great on yours. wish I could find something like that for my van. :fc front: Jimbo
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Got some work done today. Finally got it up and running, it's still a little rough though. Managed to drive it around the yard a little, but couldn't get it in reverse. I think the linkages need adjusted. Had new tires put on the rims, the tire store had trouble getting the size I needed so i settled with 205/60/15 Yokohama AVID Touring-S tires. I've read mixed reviews about them so I guess I'll see how they work out. I was only able to get the driver's side tires on since the lugs on the other side are stuck. Also put the new headlights in, only the driver's side since it started getting cold. I will be getting new hub caps once they get here.

Pics as promised:

Last edited by 91blaze on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Finally got a warm day to work on the car. Finished replacing the headlights, put the tires on, new hubcaps, lug nuts with covers, all new locks (except doors, I'll do that later), and decided to dig a little more into the car to see what needs work. I decided to take a magnet to the car to see what's solid for sure. Unfortunately, I found the front bumper area, entire right quarter, and lower left quarter have been replaced with some sort of fiberglass panels. They were fairly well covered up, and only found the seam when I looked up through the engine compartment. Since I don't plan on repainting it for some time, I will have to live with it for now. When that day comes, I will figure out how to go about fixing this. I guess I will have to bring a magnet with me from now on when I check out a car. :banghead:

Good news though, the rest of the car is solid and rust free. :tu:
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Got a lot more work done this weekend. I went out and started replacing the crappy electrical tape covering all the wiring with black wire loom. In doing this, I uncovered some problem areas and got them fixed. I installed a new 12si alternator and finally got it working right. I still need to figure out why I'm only getting 4.5 volts in the exciter wire. I have replaced the master cylinder with a new dual master cylinder. I will be making my own brake lines so I can route them myself. I have been replacing all the lights with LEDs and added some in the engine compartment. I will also add some in the trunk. I got the antenna mounted and wire routed, which was a royal pain.

I also finally found reverse. Seems you have to be pretty forceful to get it in reverse, so the linkages may still need readjusted. I have been battling problems with the engine, I think I'm slowly getting them fixed. I found out that the left carb idle circuit was plugged up, so I did the hand over carb trick and it seemed to help. It runs a little smoother but the left side is still quite a bit cooler than the right side. Although I rebuilt the carbs, I may have to go back and give them a bath in cleaner.

More updates to come in the next few days, assuming the weather stays decent.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Ok, managed to figure out a few problems today. Firstly, the positive battery cable was causing problems and making it seem like the battery was dead. While I was disconnecting the cable, the end piece fell off, so now no charging problems. After that, I decided to take the carburetors apart again and give them a thorough cleaning. I found out that the fuel inlet filter was clogged in the driver's side carb. Now it starts and runs great, although the left side still seems a little cooler than the right. Next up I need to get the ignitor system installed. I should be able to get some pics tomorrow if the weather is nice.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Sorry for the delay, I've been very busy lately. I managed to find a cheap parts car for some of the parts I need and to get a little money for the car. I mostly needed interior parts, trim, door guts, and other little things. The engine is already spoken for but if anyone needs parts, let me know. I will probably be putting up a post on the sale section later. Pictures as promised:

The parts car, a 1967 Monza with 95hp and 3-speed:

Last edited by 91blaze on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

good start. Keep it up.
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Been doing a lot of work over the last few days. Mostly been working on wiring and lighting. Managed to replace more of the original tape on the wires with loom. Also converted the lighting to leds and got the headlight halos wired to be on with the running lights. Also, the electronic ignition is in and runs great. I moved to car to the driveway and discovered a leak on the driver's side, probably the valve cover gasket. I started installing the mirrors I bought, they use the original mirror mounting holes. Now just waiting on an LED flasher for the turn signals and a new emergency brake cable since mine broke. Pic of new mirrors:

I only have the driver's side on so far, I will end up matching them to the body color.
crtoons

Post by crtoons »

91blaze wrote:Sorry for the delay, I've been very busy lately. I managed to find a cheap parts car for some of the parts I need and to get a little money for the car. I mostly needed interior parts, trim, door guts, and other little things. The engine is already spoken for but if anyone needs parts, let me know. I will probably be putting up a post on the sale section later. Pictures as promised:

The parts car, a 1967 Monza with 95hp and 3-speed:

So what condition is the steering wheel from your parts car? Salvageable? What color is it?
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

@crtoons: Sorry, I'm using the steering wheel. I'm hoping to be able to modify it to work on my car.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Did a lot more today. Got the mirror installed on the passenger's side and the new emergency brake cable in. Drove it around the yard to make sure everything is in order. I got it up to operating temperature and both sides of the engine got warm, so everything seems fine there. When starting, the engine sounds like it's building up too much compression and is having trouble turning over. Once running it sounds fine. I got the led flasher in today, but there seems to be a problem in the wiring harness because I'm only getting about 7-9 volts at the flasher, which isn't enough to make it work correctly. Still need to finish up the brake lines to get the car roadworthy, though I may end up needing to replace all the brake lines before I drive it.

Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

the starting issue sounds like your timing is way to advanced
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”