65 disk brake and drop kit project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
USAF_vair

Re: 65 disk brake and drop kit project

Post by USAF_vair »

The ball joint from Monte Carlo is much bigger. I used a hole saw and drill press then welded in a nee pipe for press fitting the new ball joint in.
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

I am glad this worked out for you as I have done this for several of my cars and my customers. If you grind on the top parts around the ball joint it will clear the top a arm. I have also center drilled them for speedo cables.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

You can also modify the spindle to accept the bottom corvair ball joint as some people dont want to change bottom a arms.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

thanks Michael. I was lost for a while with this project as I couldn't work around the ball join depth difference and was trying to find the info that you gave me about the tappers being the same. then everything was easier. but the lower a-arm was a little challenging and I sure we still have a long way to go with figuring out the alignment on this car now.

the center drill is great Michael. makes for one less thing to purchase for those customers that want this kit on their car. I do think that the savings and style you gain with doing this mod is better on the pocket book.
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

stumbled on this; one may want to look at the "Mustang-II" parts, the spindles are about 1/2" taller at the Upper/Lower balljoints, with the upper BJ location on the spindle "in" further but Michael could probably re-machine and locate the BJ location easy..the lower control arms between the "Mustang" and Corvair appear to be 1/2" different between the spring and replaceable/cheap/beefier Mustang lower BJ, but nearly 'identical'..The (Mustang II )rotor is available new and used, stock or dropped, and is 9-1/4" with new available in the 5x4-3/4 GM lug pattern (I have a pair..), and these *may* fit inside 13" wheels..cast-in steering arms are shorter too, for the rack/pinion steering..
PressurizedPancake

Post by PressurizedPancake »

USAF_vair: I'm assuming you got to run this setup a little over the summer. How did it perform? Do the steering arms on the G-body spindles change the steering ratio? I bought the 4x4 S-10 discs to use the caliper adapter plates but also have a set of 2" drop S-10 spindles on the shelf. Any input would be appreciated.
You're unique, just like everyone else.
jaymaechtlen

Post by jaymaechtlen »

Did you say the total width increased by two inches?

That suggests the mounting face of the disk brake assembly is 1" farther from the ball joints.
I guess a line going through the two ball joints must have about the same angle as the Corvair spindle did, because you've been able to get it aligned?

So, you might see a bit more steering wheel kick when you hit a bump or pothole with only one wheel, due to greater offset.
But 1" isn't much in modern terms.

Why did you cut the top mounting pad of the spindle like that?
Does that part of the taper in the spindle fit the Corvair ball joint stud, or did you have to ream it?

cheers
Jay
'61 2dr, custom fiberglass skin, transverse mid-engine - Buick 3800 supercharged V6 - hauls!
4-speed, auto trans
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

Yes guys got to run the kit on my car all summer. Did. Not have any issues with the kit other than my stock springs are to weak
I have plan on making a adjustable insert for the factory springs which will prevent a coil from being able to compress which should help me with my issue of rubbing the front tires on the top of the wheel wells.
I have no issues with rubbing on the fenders.

I have not noticed any type of bump steer issues and have drove the car many times down rough county roads.

As for the milling of the top ball joint. The joint taper are the same. Just the ball joint tapers to a bigger size on the Monte or S 10. When you take the corvair ball joint and put it into an unmilled joint hole. There is no way to install the castle nut.
warwagon

Post by warwagon »

Nice job and good tech advise in this thread. Thanks!
Keep up the awesome work.
'65 Corvair Corsa new DD being built
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'66 Corvair Corsa corv8
'66 Corvair Corsa 140
'82 Buick Regal Limited, 401Nailhead, S/P 400
'84 Buick Regal 3.8 Blowthru Turbo
'01 Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4 DD
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Specifically, what Monte Carlo or S10 did the spindles come from originally?
notched

Post by notched »

G body era spindles are what you want. More specifically the 1980-88 models which have a larger bearing would be my recommendation.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thank you
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

not sure about the drop spindle, but its not hard to make caliper brackets for disk brakes,, I was able to make C4 corvette rotors, calipers, and pads work, which stop very very well
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”