I HAVE FOUND A COUPE from South Africa

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
hentysnr

I HAVE FOUND A COUPE from South Africa

Post by hentysnr »

Hi All
I am the PROUD owner of a '62 Monza Coupe :ty: Thank you Brian for parting with your baby that served you for 45yrs. I am so excited I do not know where to start :tu:
The Missus and myself drove 1985kms over the weekend to collect the car in Johannesburg. Long hard sit, but man WORTH IT. The little old lady needs a ton of work, which will be a challenge but I am so stoked I can scream.
My "Coupe Demon" has been laid to rest at last, this need has been chewing at me for some time and that's where the idea grew of building a Coupe from the rear section of a Coupe and front end of a 4dr.
Attachments
16-PICT0010.JPG
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: I HAVE FOUND A COUPE from South Africa

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :tongue: :tu: :clap: ::-): CONGRATULATIONS :wave: :tongue: :tu: :clap: ::-):
hentysnr wrote:[Jul 02, 2010] Hi! to all fellow Corvair fanatics out there :wave: Yes! we have them in South Africa, not too many left but you can find one every now and then. I would like to congratulate the Administrators and others on one of the most amazing websites/forums that I have come across :clap: . Well set out and fairly easy to use. Just joined and finding my feet. I have three Corvairs, two 4 doors, '61 and '62 (I think) and a '62 (I think) 2 door coupe. I will post some images as soon as I figure out how! I know of 5 other Corvair owners in South Africa and am hoping to set up a data base of SA owners, ultimately I would like to create a SA Corvair Website. Does anybody out there know of other South Africans that belong to this Forum? If so, I have met a guy in SA that is an absolute GURU on Corvairs and has a wealth of information that other Corvairs owners could benefit from, what this guy has forgotten I will most likely never learn in the time I have left on earth.
Yeh! thanks for an amazing website and look forward to chatting to you guys :tu:
hentysnr wrote:I am the PROUD owner of a '62 Monza Coupe Thank you Brian for parting with your baby that served you for 45yrs. I am so excited I do not know where to start
The Missus and myself drove 1985kms over the weekend to collect the car in Johannesburg. Long hard sit, but man WORTH IT. The little old lady needs a ton of work, which will be a challenge but I am so stoked I can scream.
My "Coupe Demon" has been laid to rest at last, this need has been chewing at me for some time and that's where the idea grew of building a Coupe from the rear section of a Coupe and front end of a 4dr...

...I am the happiest man my wife approves of and supports both of my Corv-affairs, now try and beat that!
Your excitement is contagious! The '62 Corvair you show in the picture looks to be in excellent condition! this is a tremendous find, especially considering your location in South Africa.

I have a special feeling for 1962 Corvair Monza coupes. My second Corvair – in 1970-1972 (I was 17-19 years old) – was a maroon 1962 Corvair Monza coupe. That car contained my first Corvair engine rebuild. As you can see in the picture below my wife and I were married in that Corvair and we went on our honeymoon in that Corvair.

I had to look back in the Corvair Forum archives to find your original post. I wanted to refresh my memory concerning your Corvair plans and your previous situation. I have included that original post in this response for others to read. Your enthusiasm for your Corvair hobby is undeniable! And the extent to which you had to go to "capture" this new Corvair is really a great story. And driving 1985 km (1233 miles) to bring it home definitely shows your determination! Sometimes I think that we in America forget how lucky we are to have a relatively ample supply of Corvairs, Corvair support (such as CORSA local clubs), and relatively easy new and used parts availability. Stories like yours from South Africa, and the story of the 1960 Corvair sedan restoration in Bolivia, South America (see Richard1's entry in the Corvair of the Month February 2013 competition) viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5023, and other restorations in Europe, including "Mart's" Pennsylvania Bondo Bucket in the UK viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2512 generate interest and admiration in the rest of us as we hear of the obstacles you have to overcome, and still manage to display high levels of enthusiasm.
:ty: Thank you for continually posting your Corvair activities on the Corvair Forum.

I hope that you will take more pictures of your latest acquisition and post them here on the Corvair Forum. I know that you say "The little old lady needs a ton of work", but for the life of me I can't see any problems (other than a missing front bumper) in the picture that you posted. When you can, please post some pictures of the car from different angles, and include pictures of the trunk, engine compartment, and interior. I know the Corvair Forum members who read this will want to see more pictures.
Imagehttp://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 5811_n.jpg[/img]

I have a few suggestions that I would like to run by you, for your consideration:

1. Post a written and photographic update of all your Corvairs that will bring us up-to-date on the current status of your Corvair projects.

2. When, and if, you feel that your latest Corvair is ready, consider entering it in the Corvair Forum Corvair of the Month competition. I believe that you would have a particularly strong entry if you would include a more detailed written story describing how you located and acquired this 1962 Corvair. Since most of us are not familiar with life in South Africa, you could include some details of your long journey that was needed to take possession of your new Corvair. I believe that such a story would be very interesting to many Corvair Forum members. And if you can include a quantity of photographs – perhaps with some favorite locations in South Africa in the background – I think you would have a fascinating entry with a strong possibility of acquiring a winning vote.

3. You mentioned "I know of 5 other Corvair owners in South Africa". Would you be interested in forming a South Africa chapter of CORSA? With such an effort you could possibly form a "common bond" by potentially linking all of the Corvair owners in South Africa together as members of CORSA. At the same time you could introduce all of them to the Corvair Forum. All of this could potentially strengthen the effort in South Africa to own and maintain classic Corvairs, and could give each of you a helpful bond of support that might make your tasks easier.
CORSA Chapter Plan wrote:The names and addresses of all the members of the proposed Chapter. The membership list must include at least ten CORSA members and the CORSA members must account for at least half of the total members of the proposed chapter. In Alaska, Hawaii, and foreign countries other than Canada, this minimum requirement is three. Sparsely populated areas may use the minimum requirement of three CORSA members with board approval.
If you are interested in pursuing this, the first step might be to contact the other Corvair owners that you know to determine their level of interest. Of course, if you and the other Corvair owners are spread out over wide distances physical, periodic group meetings might be difficult. You and the others would have to determine the feasibility of such a venture. If there is interest, however, please let us know. I'm sure that you would find enthusiasm on the Corvair Forum to encourage and support your efforts. We currently have a Corvair Forum member who is pursuing a similar effort in Ontario Canada.

Again, congratulations on finding your good-looking 1962 Corvair. :checkeredflag:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Sweet :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Sweet deal! Was that car built in the U.S.? I could swear I see some subtle differences...... :think:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:rallye: To illustrate this lengthy journey (993 km, 617 miles 10 hours 15 mins One Way)
from Grahamstown, South Africa to Johannesburg and back IN A CORVAIR! :emfront: (includes toll roads) :eek:
I have cobbled together some pictures, compliments of Google Earth.
:camptrailer: :swerve: HINT: The USA is a long way away, and is not seen in these pictures! :USA:
South African Monza Hunt
South African Monza Hunt
Grahamstown. Eastern Cape. South Africa to Johannesburg, South Africa
Grahamstown. Eastern Cape. South Africa to Johannesburg, South Africa
HOME - Grahamstown. Eastern Cape. South Africa
HOME - Grahamstown. Eastern Cape. South Africa
:burnout: :Love it: :woo:

:BradBodie:
Brad Bodie
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

HI GUYS
You know what, you guys are awsome! I mean that, like I said before, now I know that I joined the correct Forum. :tu: I never in my wildest dreams thought you guys would be so interested! Man what a trip, not arduous or problematic but far, for us, that is, but now I ask you what affair is not worth a bit of travelling. need to update my profile, this is my third affair (Corvair-Affair) and my Good Lady approves :nono: You are a the STAR of my life Doreen :hearteyes: , she loves my cars :tu:

What I will do is do a whole trip run down and how I found out about the car etc. etc. and Hey the route you indicated its exactly the route we came back from JHB, amazing! not the shortest but definitley the easiest for towing a heavy car trailer.

Your comments on condition the photo goes into the category of those submitted by the Philladelphia Bondo Bucket Thread, do not believe what you see on a photo. But!!! Brian the Seller did say there is more rust than what you can see in the picture :shhh: a hell of a lot more! All the glass in the car is stuck in with wide see through sticky tape, NO rubbers, hey man, not that kind, window seals! No engine not a problem that brought the price down, I have a 3.2lit big bore motor built with the guidance of Ray Sedman by my good friend Gary du Plessis goes by Corvair Guru and Gary Dup, this man is a Corvair freak of note, have another car history story to tell you about a car of his that I now own.

Your question re the building of Corvairs in SA, Dave Newell can be more specific on this, we have been in contact regarding this. As far as I know the 4dr Sedan was Imported into SA in a semi knock down form and final assembly took place at the GM factory in Port Elizabeth about 125kms down the road from Grahamstown. This importation took place for 2yrs 1960 and 1961 and then the Chevy II took over. GM NEVER imported ONE Coupe into SA. Every single Coupe in SA was imported by private individuals, this might give you guys some idea of hoe SPECIAL it is to own any Vintage Corvair Coupe in SA. The '65 Model is more popular but the EM is REALLY scarce in SA, I am aware of 5 others EM's in SA but stand corrected on that one.

Your comments on forming/starting a South African Chapter of Corvair owners is exactly what my thought have been. I have been toying with a SA Corvair Club but we are so few and widely spread its not practically possible. I discussed the topic with Gary over the weekend and thought I would drop Scott Howey a PM to see what his thoughts are and now this, I really like the idea and am open to any suggestion. I have the contact details of several guys, whether they would be keen I can only but enquire and see what comes. I think it would be awesome to be part of something like that. By the way both my sons live in Riverside California, they attend the Baptist California University, they have US Citizenship, that's another story.

Ok, I have said a lot and its time to post some pictures. I will take some on the weekend, work is insane at the moment but that's good for bonus month.

I really look forward to hearing how we could start a South African Chapter, please let me know, I know I will have to drive that process from this side of the Globe but I think its a GREAT idea! :ty: :not worthy:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Wow, I love this story. Looks like a good car but I guess any Corvair is going to be a good one in SA since you basically have very limited choices. :tu:

That was a long trip to get that car but I am glad you did it and you have your coupe! I see it has a 1960 hood on it. I like the look of that hood.

You are welcome to organize your SA corvair enthusiasts here on the forum. I can make a section just for you guys in the International section of the clubs forums. Let me know what I can do for you and I'll make it happen. :chevy:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:tongue: Little known fact: It is 13734.83 kilometers, or 8534.43 miles from the airport in Atlanta, Georgia to the Grahamstown (Eastern Cape,South Africa) [Airport].
=========================================================================
To help you with developing your possible plans to form a South Africa CORSA chapter, I have attached a copy of the CORSA Chapter Plan that I located and downloaded from the CORSA Web site. http://corvair.org/ It is a Microsoft Word document. I have transcribed the content of the document here, just in case you do not have the software on your PC to read the original document.

The CORSA rules and guidelines for formulating a CORSA chapter were, I believe, written with United States members in mind. Your circumstances in South Africa may be quite different than what would normally be expected in the United States – particularly with regard to the number of Corvair owners possible in South Africa and their locations and distances involved. Scheduling physical meetings on a regular basis in South Africa may be quite difficult, because the members might be separated by long distances. If you find this to be an issue it may be possible for you to develop an alternate plan that would fit the needs of widely separated CORSA members in South Africa. I would guess that a waiver of this rule might be possible if you were to propose such an alternate plan to CORSA with proper justification. If you find enough interest in South Africa to justify pursuing forming a CORSA chapter, you may want to discuss your unique circumstances with the CORSA executive secretary. I hope that this material is useful to you. Good luck with your effort.

The CORSA EXECUTIVE SECRETARY referred to in the plan is currently: Harry Jensen, Executive Secretary, Illinois USA

CORSA Officers: http://corvair.org/index.php?option=com ... Itemid=105
To e-mail any of the CORSA officers directly, click on the above URL Internet address. You will see a list of names and their positions within CORSA. Click on the name of the person you wish to e-mail. On the next screen click on the word "Contact Form" and then you will see an e-mail form. This will allow you to prepare and send your message by e-mail to the appropriate person. Alternately, you can write via conventional mail or telephone using the following information:

Contact

Please contact us by phone or mail at:

Corvair Society of America
P.O. Box 607
Lemont IL 60439

PHONE: (630) 257-6530

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CORSA Letterhead.jpg
Operating Policy
Approved: 7/26/11
Title: CORSA Chapter Plan
Section I. Purpose and Provisions

The CORSA Chapter Plan is the basis for coordination and mutual support between CORSA and local and regional Corvair organizations. Corvair clubs, by becoming Chartered Chapters through the provisions of the Plan, are given the benefits of standards, service, cooperation and communication nationwide and internationally, while retaining the independence and individuality necessary to serve a local membership.
The provisions of the Chapter Plan define what the local organizations must do to obtain and retain Chartered Chapter status, and what CORSA will provide for Chapters so chartered. Organizations that are formed because of a common interest in a feature or particular model of Corvairs shall be called Special Interest Groups. These groups need not have a geographic base; their members can span the world.
Section II. Qualifications for Granting New Chapter Status
To become a Chartered Chapter of CORSA, a local group of CORSA members must make application for Chapter status to the CORSA Executive Secretary. This application must include:
1. The names and addresses of all the members of the proposed Chapter. The membership list must include at least ten CORSA members and the CORSA members must account for at least half of the total members of the proposed chapter. In Alaska, Hawaii, and foreign countries other than Canada, this minimum requirement is three. Sparsely populated areas may use the minimum requirement of three CORSA members with board approval.
2. The names of club officers for the proposed Chapter. A majority of the proposed Chapter’s executive officers (president, vice-president, et al.) must be CORSA members.
3. A copy of a constitution, or articles of incorporation and by-laws for the proposed Chapter.
4. A name for the proposed Chapter, which shall not duplicate that of any CORSA Chapter listed in the most recent published list.
5. A sample newsletter of the proposed chapter, if one is published.
6. Time and location for regular meetings of the proposed Chapter.
The proposed meeting location shall be a minimum of 75 miles by the shortest surface route from the meeting place of the nearest CORSA Chapter. If this distance is shorter than 75 miles, written approval from the presidents of the two nearest CORSA Chapters shall be included with the application. If these approvals are not included, the four Directors in that Division and the Chairman of the Chapter Plan Committee shall rule by majority vote of a quorum of three or more. This requirement will not apply to Special Interest Groups.
Section III. Granting of Chapter Status
When an application for a new Chapter is received, the CORSA Executive Secretary shall notify the Chapter Plan Chairman and the Directors in that Division and a 30-day comment period will commence. Should questions or objections be raised within that 30-day period, such issues must be resolved to the satisfaction of the above-named CORSA officers and representatives prior to Chapter status being granted. When all qualifications for Chapter Status have been met and any issues have been resolved, or when all qualifications for Chapter Status have been met and the 30-day comment period has passed without unresolved questions or objections, the CORSA Executive Secretary shall notify the new Chapter in a timely manner via conventional mail that Chapter status has been granted, and shall add the new Chapter’s name to all Chapter listings.
Special Interest Groups shall have the same requirements as Chapters to obtain their charter. Additionally, their application must be approved by the CORSA Board of Directors.
Section IV. Maintenance of Chapter Status
To indicate that Charter requirements continue to be met, a Chartered Chapter shall file with the Executive Secretary, by March 1st of each calendar year, a Chapter membership roster including CORSA and non-CORSA members, a list of Chapter officers, name and address of the CORSA contact person, a current website address, if applicable, and time and location of meetings. If there is no response, CORSA would have to consider the chapter as inactive. A follow-up will be done and the chapter removed from the chapter list if a chapter report is not received. CORSA board directors will contact chapters if necessary.
A Chartered Chapter shall endeavor to maintain 100% of its membership as CORSA members. All Chapters must maintain the CORSA membership requirements of Section II, items 1 and 2.
CORSA Chapters shall be required to collect a $3.00 non CORSA affiliation fee for each non-CORSA member and the chapter will be required to submit payment of fees with the annual chapter report.
The fee will be waived for those Chapters that maintained 100% of their members as CORSA members as reported on their annual Chapter Report.
A Chartered Chapter shall include the editor of the CORSA Communique on its mailing list, and shall offer to maintain a newsletter exchange with neighboring and other Chapters.
Chartered Chapters shall be active organizations that must meet at least annually. To be considered an active organization, a Chartered Chapter must satisfy at least one of the following conditions:
1. It must publish a newsletter for its members at least four times a year.
-or-
2. It must have at least four meetings annually of at least 25% of its members.
Chartered Special Interest Groups shall have the same requirements as Chapters to maintain their status.
Section V. Benefits to Chapters
CORSA shall provide to its Chartered Chapters:
1. Channels for communication of Chapter information via the CORSA Communique.
2. Sanction and support for certain regional events sponsored by Chapters.
3. Liability insurance to United States Chapters.
4. Discounts on Chapter purchases of CORSA merchandise in quantity.
5. Availability of lists of CORSA members with contact information residing in the Chapter's area, for membership recruitment and event announcement purposes, only.
6. Administrative guidance information to help in the organization and running of the Chapter.
7. Standards for conduct and judging of competitive events.
8. Encouragement to CORSA members to join Chapters in their area.
9. Chartered Special Interest Groups will get priority in scheduling meeting space and time at CORSA’s annual convention.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CORSA Chapter Plan Policy.doc
CORSA Chapter Plan Policy
(33 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Brad Bodie
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

Hey Scott/Brad
Thank you for the awesome response time and information related :tu: . What I am going to do is put aside a weekend and dig-up all the contact details I have. Contact all these guys one way or the other, give them a set time to respond. See what sort of reaction I get and take it from there. I have mentioned the idea to all the guys I have contact with and all seem keen but that's where it's ended thus far. I am a very quiet reserved guy who does it himself, his own way, quietly in my workshop. Maybe it's time to challenge myself, but, I will need your guys guidance this is not my forte and am the first to admit it.

Corvairs are so scarce and not being a "muscle car" ie Mustang, Corvette, Trans-Am, Camaro or 57 Chevy, their following is limited to a few "strange but highly intelligent :doh: " LOL individuals, I mean NO disrespect to Muscle Car enthusiasts AT ALL!!!!

Lets face it Corvairs are DIFFERENT cars and that is what appeals to me. Every South African that I know of that has an interest in Corvairs is again with RESPECT a little different to most folk out here, the LONG & SHORT of what I'm saying is there are not many of us and we are very widely spread, which is going to be problematic as far as gatherings go. HOWEVER being the eternal optimist I am, I'm convinced we South Africans can pull it together and arrange a gathering, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE, is my motto!

Our biggest problem in SA is getting certain parts, I'm sure that if we had some sort of Network we would be able to help each other out and importing parts through one guy collectively is always easier, than plodding along on ones own or am I kidding myself??

If I become a bit quiet on this matter it's because I'm gathering info etc.

Again thank you for all the input and it's GREAT to be part of this Forum :tu:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

According to the CORSA CHAPTER LOCATOR http://corvair.org/index.php?option=com ... u&crmPID=1 CORSA chapters currently exist in only four countries outside of the United States: Canada (3), France, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. Currently, a fourth chapter is being considered for Eastern Canada. I am hoping that some CORSA members who live in these countries and who frequent the Corvair Forum might "chime in" here and perhaps relate some of their unique circumstances, benefits, problems and difficulties with holding periodic club meetings and perhaps annual events. A description of their benefits realized and problems encountered might provide you with several ideas to apply in your own circumstance.

Since my reading of the CORSA rules that apply to forming a chapter would seem to indicate that you must have at least three CORSA members who have formally expressed a desire to form a chapter, then it appears that you must have at least three members who are willing to go to the expense and trouble to join CORSA. Depending on how widespread they are geographically, organizing and planning periodic meetings – even if it is only an annual meeting – might be problematic. Without such periodic social get-togethers, the benefits of organizing a CORSA chapter must be questioned. I'm not saying that at CORSA chapter in South Africa would not be beneficial to South Africa Corvair owners, but the nature of those benefits would have to be discussed and defined first in order to justify proceeding with a formal request submission to CORSA to form a chapter. Only you and your fellow Corvair owners in South Africa can answer such questions.

You have already suggested one possible benefit, in the form of Corvair parts exchanges and possibly consolidated parts orders and shipments from the USA. Such an effort – especially with new parts – might help to reduce shipping costs and other expenses, depending on shipping methods and government tax and duty laws that you might have to contend with in South Africa. If periodic face-to-face meetings are not practical, perhaps the substitution of a single annual social event might be sufficient. A similar annual convention is conducted in the United States, and Corvair owners travel from all over the United States and Canada to attend it. (Last year it was conducted in Massachusetts, and this year's convention will be held in Michigan). The CORSA guidelines stated desire for regular meeting locations that would not require excessive travel – but that might not be possible in South Africa, considering the low number of Corvair owners that exist in South Africa and the long distances between South African townships. Such circumstances might justify a waiver for that requirement, if only an annual convention seems practical.

ImageImageSo again, to form a CORSA chapter in South Africa you will first need to measure the level of interest and then define the benefits that members of a South African chapter might realize. If you get that far successfully, some e-mail discussions with CORSA executives might be needed to help you develop a constitution, or articles of incorporation and by-laws for the proposed Chapter that would be satisfactory to the South African members and to CORSA. If you get past that stage the rest would seem to be relatively easy. Your group members would then have to formally join CORSA and the final documents would have to be prepared to submit to CORSA to obtain approval for your new CORSA chapter. After that, the success of your newly developed chapter would be up to the members in South Africa. I know that the idea and concept of having South African Corvair owners band together – at least on the surface – sounds like a good idea. But the practicality of such a venture is yet to be proven. I hope that you find that it continues to be seen as a good idea as you pursue this effort. If it does, then I'm sure you will be successful. Perhaps forming as a group will help to encourage the Corvair owners in South Africa as they struggle with the obstacles they face to successfully restore and maintain Corvairs in your country. Sometimes the difficulties do not seem so hard when you feel like you are not facing them alone. It sounds like your wife is supportive, and that seems to help you. Perhaps joining together with other Corvair owners in your region will help to ease the stress and will help you to overcome obstacles as you all share ideas and knowledge, and help each other with your Corvair projects. Good luck with your efforts, and let us know on the Corvair Forum if we can help in any way. :tu: :checkeredflag:
Brad Bodie
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

Hey Brad

Makes a lot of sense the way you put it. Really need to test the waters as they say. I personally think a slot for South Africans on this Forum is the way to go, if possible, as it is all there and it can be enjoyed, followed by all else on the Forum. But will ask and hear what the guys say, thank you for the GREAT and highly informed response. :tu:

Have taken some pictures of the car being winched up the driveway and finally in the workshop. Will post these in the next day or so.

Cheers
Henty

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

Man I like that smiley with the South African flag!

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

OK! so you saw what I saw in the first picture I posted, remember I said she needs a TON of work, check this out!

See what I mean, floor boards are gone, gear lever floor mounting knuckle assembly is held in place by the two pieces of flat bar.
The torsion levers that are meant to hold the bonnet open flex back in under the dash when you open the bonnet. The entire metal section under dash and luggage compartment is hanging there held in place by wiring and a few strips of sheet metal that has not corroded away yet. Check the rear valence it looks like silver painted pork roast crackling :dontknow: .

Must admit I was bleak when I saw the car in real the first time :sad5: :whoa: , I was told there was more body rust than what was visible on the photo. I had consoled myself to the fact that I would have to convert the car to right hand drive as it had no paperwork. After loading the car we walked to Brian's office to sign of that I had legally bought the car etc. As we stepped into his office he turns around and says "Oh! by the way, I found all the ORIGINAL papers for the car, the ORIGINAL de-registration papers, here you can have them" Well gentleman I nearly cr$%*&d myself :eek: , I was nearly in tears. This means I can rebuild the car and keep it LHD as in original :tu:

I have decided to do a complete rebuild, there is no other way around this one, no quick fix. So have already started stripping the car. Need to build a rotisserie as well, like I said I do 90% of the work myself. I could not take photo's tonight as the SD card was full. But will keep you posted with pictures as I progress. I must add this is nothing compared to the Pensylvania Bondo Bucket Thread. I have done some metal fabricating but nothing on this scale. So! let the try again and again and again begin until we succeed, patience and endeavour will be put to the test!

Ok! will keep you posted on my progress and let the advise flow, I'm the THE SPONGE I will never stop soaking up knowledge/experience liken me to a knowledge/experience addict/junkie. Got to go and get some rest this coming weekend I am attending my 40th Grade 12 ReUnion, man what an ugly bunch of old codgers we have become this one more grey than the next :woo:
Attachments
DSCF3482.JPG
DSCF3483.JPG
DSCF3484.JPG
DSCF3480.JPG
DSCF3474.JPG
DSCF3493.JPG

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Where there's a will there's a way.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
mart

Post by mart »

Nice to know I'm not the only one with a bucket, hopefully yours holds no hidden surprises :eek:
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

Hi Mart :wave:

As Cad-Kid said, where there is a will there is a way :fingerscrossed: . Must admit your case was something else, I have read your story from start to finish and I can only take my hat off to you and bow down at your determination :not worthy:

This car has been in two other peoples possession and the last owner had it for 45 years to the month. Like I said when I stuck my head into the car and saw the floor :sad5: I was nearly floored. Fortunately I did not lift the luggage compartment lid, if I had I think I would have walked away from the car despite travelling nearly 2,000kms.

My problem is I seem to enjoy punishing myself with hard work. Actually I SO enjoy the building/making/innovating/manufacturing process it overshadows the hard work. I really admire your sheet metal shaping and that's my biggest challenge at the moment :doh: . I have never had to make such complicated multi plane pieces and that rear valence is big and long. But give it a good go, I most definitely will! fortunately I only have to comply with my standards and requirements ::-):

Yep thanks for the comments and interest shown it's great to know there are others out there who are interested in what I'm doing here in South Africa :ty: I got stuck into the rear valence in the early hours of this morning. Had one of those nights where dreams took me to places no one should ever have to go to (1977, SA version of your Vietnam) ........... got quite a bit of work done and basically have to replicate the entire lower rear double skin section 400mm either side of the rear engine mount!!! The entire double skinned area is solidly packed with sand as in solid no gaps, need to ensure that does not happen again. This car must have run on gravel paved roads for years.

Ok! got to get back to work lunch is over :nono: and its back to the Bosses time :02: it pays the bills! I will post some pictures tonight.

Cheers
Henty

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”