Cad-kid's 65 Monza - my first Corvair

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
malibusled
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Cad-kid's 65 Monza - my first Corvair

Post by malibusled »

When you pull the sending unit, it's a good chance to replace your "filter sock" on your sending unit.
Very cheap, and good piece of mind, and it will only take a second.

Congrats on the underside, can't have a nice house, without a good foundation.
Looks like you have a great car.
Ed Bartlett
Bobcaygeon, ON Canada
1965 Monza Coupe, 140hp 4 speed
1964 Monza Convertible, 140hp PG
larry202br

Post by larry202br »

Vairy nice car, the 140 is a big plus. Any idea what caused the paint to crack and craze like that?
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

larry202br wrote:Vairy nice car, the 140 is a big plus. Any idea what caused the paint to crack and craze like that?

The best theroy is the car was repainted with acrylic laquer (same type as from the factory). And it was put on pretty thick in places. Laquer tends to crack with age and the car probably was not stripped down to bare metal. One thing to do before it becomes my daily summer driver is to seal up the problem areas in the paint. The trunk lid has a few large chips missing and down to bare metal :eek:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Last month on one of those cold Wisconsin days I checked out the classifieds on the Corsa website http://www.corvair.org I purchased a late model instrument cluster (1968) and a engine compartment lock (missing the key) from John Bertsch. The transaction went smoothly and the items were as described :tu:

I wanted the cluster for the late fuel gauge so I can use the "brake" light feature as a parking brake signal on my 65. I think I will use my current cluster lens (no "brake" script) so on first glance it will maintain a stock appearance :fro: My future plans were to add a factory clock so with this cluster I was able to get both goals met :birthdaycake:

The clock was fun to work on - after some fresh lube it started right up. The points just needed some cleaning with the proper electronics cleaner. The final piece was to install a blocking diode to reduce any spark when the points seperate - works excellent! :torch:

Just for kicks I tore down the speedo and found it to be in nice condition except for a siezed up main bearing. Soaking the lower piece of the speedo in ATF for a few days worked wonders. It's always good to have some spare parts on hand (as my 65's speedometer seems to work well).

As for the engine compartment lock - I cleaned up the aluminum bracket and tore down the lock cylidner. Then I found a key that fit and rearranged the tumblers so the lock would function. :evil:

It was a good time at the basement work bench :clap:
Attachments
spare cluster.JPG
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

wow, I'm impressed! :tu: Maybe you should write up a short DIY on how to get those things repaired and working like that.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Scott Howey wrote:wow, I'm impressed! :tu: Maybe you should write up a short DIY on how to get those things repaired and working like that.
Excellent idea Scott :not worthy: I will work something up when I change the gauges over to my 65. When I purchase another clock or end up repairing mine again I will write up something for that.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Today it was just warm enough for me to remove the carbs (36 deg - brrr). Being my first time pulling carbs off a Vair motor it went pretty well. I only got stumped for a couple of minutes trying to find the other carb attachment nut - I didn't realize the stud went through to the top of the carb - I was feeling around the base of the carb for the other nut :banghead:

Later this weekend I will tear into them and start the cleanup work :drool:
Attachments
My 5 yr old helper (he sure was enthusiastic)
My 5 yr old helper (he sure was enthusiastic)
"before"
"before"
"during"
"during"
"after"
"after"
the Line Wrench worked great!
the Line Wrench worked great!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Tonight after work I pulled off the turkey roaster. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of a mouse nest :tu: There was only a tiny amount of insulation tucked in the corners. Tonight was also a great time to inspect the engine number "RM" (140 manual non-Corsa) -
That's great news as it is correct for this car - Bonus! :guitar:

Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

looking good and very clean under there, now is a great time to put a light under the heads with the bottom shrouds off and see if the heads need deflashing, that will make a BIG difference in the cooling. But looks like your doing good, wish mine was that far along. keep on keepin on :tu: Jimbo :fc front:
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

I second that, about the deflashing......if you've got the time. Looks good and well-sealed up, that's great! Didjya wanna do those oil cooler seals now too? :D
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

You both read my mind! Oil cooler seals are in my parts stash (ordered last month). After I get the low compression issue straightened out I will see if a de-flashing is needed.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

It's been a pretty good week - Wednesday my coworker brought his son and his son's friend over to help move the Corvair (remember the carbs are still off). The move was a simple one - just across the street to my garage. Today I had some time to put the car up on jack stands and start to do a little cleaning. Needless to say I was very happy to find a warning sticker for the limited slip diff (burried under the jack). Since the car was on jackstands it was easy to verify
- rotated one wheel and the opposite turned the same direction :clap: :woo:

Sure was great to have 2 HS Football players be the motive power ::-):
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
malibusled
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by malibusled »

cad-kid wrote:You both read my mind! Oil cooler seals are in my parts stash (ordered last month). After I get the low compression issue straightened out I will see if a de-flashing is needed.

It's a 140, de-flashing is always needed.

De-flashing is the single most effective way to make your engine run cooler.
You want your 140 to run cool, so valve seats stay where they're supposed to. :tu:
Ed Bartlett
Bobcaygeon, ON Canada
1965 Monza Coupe, 140hp 4 speed
1964 Monza Convertible, 140hp PG
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

malibusled wrote:
It's a 140, de-flashing is always needed.

De-flashing is the single most effective way to make your engine run cooler.
You want your 140 to run cool, so valve seats stay where they're supposed to. :tu:
Thanks Ed :tu: Great timing on your post. The oil cooler is back in and the next step is to start de-flashing the heads. And as a side note I replaced the broken push rod and loosened up the valves on the offending cylinders. Now I have 150 psi on the 2 cylinders that were dead
:woo:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Jeremy (cad-kid) wrote:
Scott Howey wrote:wow, I'm impressed! :tu: Maybe you should write up a short DIY on how to get those things repaired and working like that.
Excellent idea Scott :not worthy: I will work something up when I change the gauges over to my 65. When I purchase another clock or end up repairing mine again I will write up something for that.
I was reading through this thread and noted the comments on the Monza instrument cluster repair. I remembered an article in an issue of the CORSA Communiqué from May 2012 regarding Corsa speedometer repair. Although it does not pertain directly to the Monza speedometer, some of the techniques and procedures may have some application to the Monza unit, and the article can certainly help Corsa owners. I thought I would post the extracted article here to supplement anything you choose to write on the instrument cluster work you have been doing.
CORSA Tech Topics - Speedometer Overhaul - Communique - 2012 May - Vol 34 - No 4.pdf
CORSA Tech Topics - Speedometer Overhaul - Communique - 2012 May - Vol 34 - No 4
(1007.26 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Also, here are some links to websites that can provide some support for instrument cluster repair and restoration...

Dash Restoration Parts
:link: http://www.whitegauges.net/categories/D ... ion-Parts/

ClocksAndGauges.com
:link: http://clocksandgauges.com/gpage.html

OMICRON Clock
:link: http://omicronclock.auctivacommerce.com ... ?k=corvair
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »